Sunday, May 31, 2015

Returning to Normal - Not the Town but the Life



Tomorrow I return to work.  I've been out of commission since my fall on that dark cold night of February 18th. A long, long time ago.

Yesterday I drove my car for the first time since that life changing accident that tore my quadricep muscle on my left leg. It was a tight squeeze getting in the car but once in, I was able to drive my car. Hallelujah!  You don't know what it means to have the freedom of mobility.

I've been walking without my cane for several days now.  However, my cane is never far away just in case I feel my leg buckling. There were two instances during Pat's visit last week that I felt my leg buckling.  All that walking around Rehoboth Beach and other places we visited. 

I can garden more now.  Transplanting garden center plant purchases and pulling weeds. I use that seat contraption with the seat and wheels.  Yep, it's similar to the one my Mom used when she got old and wanted to continue to garden but it works. 

Even though I can drive and get around without my cane my leg still hurts if I over do it.  Last week, all that walking around during Pat's visit, was a real workout.  At the end of the day I was wiped out. It's going to be interesting to see how I feel after a full eight hour shift at the hotel.

I'm looking forward to getting back to work and my regular schedule. My accident, while traumatic, painful, and inconvenient, taught me was a new appreciation for quality of life.  To have the mobility to be independent and just go about normal activities. 

My leg is hurting now, which it does if I sit too long, so I'll end this life update.  

Summer will be here in a few weeks and I am ready to enjoy every day to the max.


10 comments:

  1. Ron - last week was quite incredible with all the places we covered. - from Wilmington to Rehoboth and Ocean City Marylin (and Berlin MD) - One end of the state to the other and then some.

    Thanks for an incredible week away from the hustle and bustle of Toronto - which you get to experience later this summer. But you really got around. Slower than your usual pace - but that doesn't matter for now I don't think. Hope your back to work schedule works well for you and just as enjoyable as before. Super congrats on your back to driving!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat;,
      Thank you for being the perfect house guest. What a wonderful week we had last week exploring and experiencing some of what southern Delaware and Maryland (Ocean City and Berlin) has to offer in summertime delights. Can't wait until next year for the repeat.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Wow, this past week really flew by. It seemed like Pat had just arrived and then he was suddenly heading home. I'm glad the visit was an enjoyable one - - and I'm super glad to hear that you're driving and returning to work. That is progress!!!!

    Take it easy, don't over-do it........and, by the way, thanks for your comments on my blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I am so glad that I can drive again and go back to work. My apologies for not commenting sooner on your blog entries, just too occupied playing host last week. Back to normal now.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. good to hear you are getting back to normal. I see one of the neurosurgeons on Monday and asking if I can drive is on the top of my list. Went to the grocery store today. It felt wonderful to be out and about. The electric cart was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David,
    Driving was the top of my list too. Thank goodness I can drive now. I feel like a normal person now. I return to work today, first time since I fell so long ago on February 18th. Yes, it is wonderful to be out and ab out and the electric cart was most helpful when I couldn't walk at all.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. NORMALCY! We don't know how much we miss it until we get back to it!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You got that right!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Please have a martini with two olives as a talisman for further pushes and falls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I hope Wayne is done with me. I rounded that corner that I fell on the ice last February 18th and I swear I could still feel his presence. He was pissed.
      Ron

      Delete