Sunday, May 03, 2015

More Los Angeles Vacation Photos




Hey folks, come with me back to our fabulous ten day stay in West Hollywood, Los Angeles California this past January. 

These photos were taken January 14, 2015 during my early morning walk on Laurel Canyon Road. The Hollywood Bed and Breakfast, where Pat and I were staying was only a few blocks from the fabled Laurel Canyon Road. 


Who lives in these fabulous homes?

Imagine weeding this terraced garden.  I saw a gardener doing just that. 

I love me some palm fronds.  I never tired of all the palm trees.

Laurel Canyon Road, Los Angeles, California

This was the road to Oil Can Harry's.  We will return next year.

This road could use some repaving.  I think Delaware does a better job.

I forget why I took this picture.

A ready made suicide drop.

Houses of rich people in the Hollywood Hills

Again, another picture I forget why I took it.

Good thing it doesn't snow in California. How would you like to get to that house on the top of the hill on an icy driveway?

Wonder how much this mansion costs?  I wonder who owns it?  I'm going to take a wild guess and say an Arah sheik.

Note that I was taking this walk by myself.  I decided to give Pat a break and let him sleep in.  Poor Pat, I was wearing him down with all activity.  I tend to jump up out of bed when I wake up in the morning.  Pat is a snoozer.  He likes to gradually get up after a couple of snooze alarms.  Our next vacation together this is a fact I will have to take into consideration.  





I always take an early morning walk when I am on vacation.  All the years I used to vacation in Provincetown, Massachusetts, I often took an early morning walk while others were sleeping off their previous night of partying. Some of my gay friends would disparage and mock me saying I was "wasting my time" by visiting P-town and not taking part in the sexual carnival. I never got into that thing.  Probably why I'm alive today and many of those same gay friends are not.  Not passing judgment here friends but I've always enjoyed the geography and ambiance of wherever I was spending my time and money on vacation.  Plus, I've always enjoyed and appreciated the peace and tranquility of an early morning stroll in different surroundings. It has always surprised me that so few others feel the same way that I do.





I've always been able to appreciate the small things in life.  Bright, shiny objects do not distract me because I know they are false promises. The best things in life are with you every day.  You just have to stop and look where you are to appreciate what you have. 

When I finished me walk this January morning, in weather which I so much appreciated thinking got the freezing cold back on the East Coast, Pat was waiting for me at the bed and breakfast, all refreshed and ready to go for another adventurous day in Los Angeles.  Next stop, the Griffith Observatory.


The Intrepid Duo

10 comments:

  1. Laurel Canyon doesn't look like it changed very much since I knew it. Parts of the road still need repair and traffic is clipping it off at a lively pace. Those hilltop homes perched haphazardly on the cliffs always unnerve me.

    I remember when the Arab sheiks purchased a big mansion near Sunset (it was long ago and my memory is hazy). They had a bunch of nude statues out front and they painted nipples and pubic hair on them. The neighbors were outraged (only in Hollywood......)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      You're right, parts of the road did need repair and the traffic does go by at a "lively pace" or "fast" as I say. Everyone seems to know where they are going. I took these pictures very early in the morning, later in the day the traffic really picks up. Maybe that's why they don't repair the roads more often. Here in Delaware they're always repairing the roads. I have to say these roads are some of the best I've ever experienced. Pennsylvania's roads were always in need of repair. But then the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation was known as a cesspool of corruption.
      I remember all the hubbub too about the Arab sheiks and their "realistic" statues. The irony is that their Hollywood neighbors were outraged. Funny, no shortage of hypocrisy in Hollywood.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hey, my memory is correct. The mansion with the lewd statues was indeed on Sunset.
    By the way, I enjoyed your Laurel Canyon videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I'm glad you're enjoying the photos and videos. You writing about Hollywood is what encouraged me to visit this den in inequity myself. Much to my pleasant surprise, I loved this area of Los Angeles. In fact there wasn't a part of Los Angeles that I didn't find interesting. We will be back, again and again. May even move there. You never know.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You frequently see ugly pavement in mild climates, It is so pretty there. Make me want to buy lottery tickets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Those are some well traveled road in Los Angeles. I didn't see one road repair. Ride around her in southern Delaware and they're always repairing or expanding roads. Never seems to end. But our roads seem to be in much better shape than the ones we saw in L.A.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I always think that a morning constitutional, pre-fuelled by a generous helping of coffee, helps to clear the after-sleep fug from the mind, most especially when on holiday.

    In the first video, a brief glimpse of your shadow seems to show you as gliding along - either on roller skates or a skateboard. However, I know that, even prior to your unfortunate topple on the ice, you'd never have taken such risks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Me, on a skateboard or roller-skates? Never. Especially now that I'm so vulnerable with my damaged leg. I don't drink coffee in the morning either. Never got into that habit although I do appreciate a good cup of coffee after a restaurant meal but I rarely get a good cup of coffee. Pat has introduced me to Starbucks latte coffees. I like them. But you're right, I would never take such risks as a skateboard or roller-skates.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. More fun, more pics, more AWESOME TRIP memories!
    I want to go there! This will be my travel guide.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      L.A. was a blast. I can't wait until I return again next year. So much to do, so little time. And the weather . . . . great to enjoy those tropical breezes in January.
      Ron

      Delete