Friday, May 22, 2015

Medical Update

A selfie of me at physical therapy yesterday prior to my hour workout


Just a quick medical update on my health status folks:

I visited my dentist yesterday.  He checked out the pain I'm having in my left jaw and indeed, it is as I expected:  a case of TMJ.

He told me to go "easy on the chewing, don't eat almonds (which I have been eating) and try to stay with soft foods."  That I can do, I'll leave out the almonds when I have my next batch of yogurt.

Physical therapy went well again yesterday.  I'm doing all my exercises well, increasing my endurance each time.  The only area where I'm encountering resistance is the bending of my leg.  My physical therapist (Rich) works with bending my leg to stretch my reattached quadricep muscle until I cannot take the pain level.  

On a scale of 1-10 my pain level (mostly swelling) is 1.  When Rich is working on my leg it goes up to 5 or 6. I know the pain is necessary for gain (I'm a poet and don't know it) but still . . . . it hurts!  "No pain, no gain."

I was wiped out yesterday after my session but a good wipe out if you know what I mean.

This morning I stopped in the hotel to confirm that I will be back at work on June 1st, albeit on a physically restricted level.  No climbing or descending the steep wooden stairs to the outside VIP suites on the canal. No mopping the floors.  And of course no carrying furniture back and forth after an event.  And of course no helping guests unload their luggage from their cars.  I don't get that request that often but I do offer to help when the guest is older than me and obviously very frail.  I'll have to let my guilt go if I encounter any of those guests when I return to work.

Where I work at in Lewes - not long now until I return (to the scene of my accident with is at the bottom right of the portico of the hotel - I was rounding the entrance when I stepped on the frozen ice from the rain spout and my life changed forever - one random fall that caused so much damage

Today is an absolutely gorgeous spring/summer day.  This is Memorial Day Weekend and hundreds of cars are flowing down Route One, right past Casa Tipton-Kelly.  When I bring Pat back tomorrow from meeting him in Wilmington tomorrow, we will be in the Holiday Weekend Flow.  Should be fun (not).  But we will be going to Pennsylvania for a few days, which is opposite of where most of the holiday weekend vehicles are going.

So there you go folks.  My leg is going to really get a workout these next few weeks beginning with tomorrow.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Memorial day to you, Bill, Pat and Lar! Have a wonderful time in LSD and Pennsylvania!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nadege! Liar and Pat are on their way to LSD as I type this. Big day ahead!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear the recovery is coming along nicely. I am positive that part of the is because of your positive attitude! Sorry about the TMJ. I wonder what almonds have to do with it?

    Remember, lots of pictures of you and Pat next week! Have fun in the traffic!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Yes, recovery is coming along nicely. More and more I'm moving about without my cane but I still have a ways to go until I am fully recovered. Bending my leg to get into the driver's part of the car will be a big step. I'm not there yet.

      Oh yes, t he Memorial Day Weekend Traffic in Rehoboth, Pat will be driving.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Well, I suppose that if the pain is as necessary as it seems in order to progress there's not much you can do other than to bear it through gritted teeth. Easy for me to say as someone who doesn't have to undergo your agonies, Ron, but let's hope that you can quickly get this uncomfortable period over and done with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      The pain isn't unbearable . . . . well actually it is when he really presses my leg to bend. It feels like he's trying to break my leg. But I know that quadricep muscle has to be stretched.
      But I am getting around more and more without my cane. Progress!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Hi Ron,

    Your TMJ diet reminds me of a Three Stooges episode, where they find a baby on their doorstep.

    Curly asks, "What do we feed it?"

    Moe replies, "You know, soft stuff...no bones, no potato chips."

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny Andy!

      Ron

      Delete
  5. Happy news indeed.

    ReplyDelete