Friday, May 01, 2015

May Day - One Month To Go!



Today is May Day, the first day of May. 

I fell and injured my leg 72 days ago on February 18th, two months and thirteen days ago. 

I had orthopedic surgery to reconnect my severed quadricep muscles on March 10th, 52 days ago or one month and twenty one days ago.

After I had my surgery my doctor told me my recovery would be from eight to twelve weeks. 

I have not been back to work at the hotel since I fell leaving work at the hotel way back on that bitter cold night of zero degrees.

Two weeks ago I began physical therapy three days a week. I am making great progress. I can now bend my knee 60 degrees.  Not much to the casual observer but great for me who could not bend my knee at all a few short weeks ago.

The week after next on May 11th I have an appointment with my orthopedic doctor. I hope to dispense with this leg brace I've been wearing for the past 72 days.

On June 1st I am scheduled to go back to work at the hotel. I am anxiously looking forward to that date.  Even though I may be wearing some kind of reduced leg brace on my knee and still using a cane, I will be on my way back to a normal, active life.

These past few months have been revelatory for me.  I have learned a lot.  Not the least of which is a new appreciation for the freedom that physical mobility provides.  Also a new appreciation for those who are physically disabled. I am much more sensitive their situation.  Never again will I be impatient when I am shopping in grocery store and behind a person with a cane, walker or one of those carts.

A mobile shopping cart that I have ridden - a great learning experience
Some may think my past few months have been wasted.  To the contrary, the past few months have been yet another learning experience for me for which I am very thankful.  

But as thankful as I am for this learning experience I am looking forward to getting back to my normal, active life. And just in time because the best time of the year is upon us now.  Great weather, no more snow and ice. 

I'm ready folks.


10 comments:

  1. The worst part of your ordeal is definitely over. All you need to do now is take it slow and easy and move forward. I definitely don't think any of this time has been wasted. It was a time to learn more about yourself and to fully appreciate all that you've been blessed with.

    Hardly seems possible that it's May Day already. I'm sure you'd like to do a dance around the May pole - - but wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      The worst is definitely over and am I ever glad. Now if I can just get my leg to bend more and get rid of this brace. That should happen in the next few weeks.
      You are right that these past few months have not been wasted. I have learned more about myself and fully appreciate all that I've been blessed with. In some ways, my fall and everything that has come after it has been a wake up call for me. Now if I can just get mobile enough to catch up with my yard work during these beautiful days.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - you seem to always find a silver lining. And you're almost home! It will be a real sense of freedom once you can get around just as before - either on foot or driving.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I"m ready for that freedom of mobility. I will never take my mobility for granted again. And I'm ready to return to bi-foot driving.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Gratitude! Thankful to be alive, almost back 100 %. Life is good and we are so happy for you Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a happy guy these days Nadege!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Your attitude is amazing. A true inspiration! I am sure you are tired of figuratively tip-toeing about, but look at this way: you'll be stronger when you get done with all this exercise! And truly appreciate the time in the yard on your knees planting all those beautiful flowers.

    You make me want to make it into my 70's. Believe me, it's never been a goal.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I would never have imagined that in my 70's life would be so interesting.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I hope June 1 finds you in much better shape.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope May 24th finds me in better shape. At least so I can bend my leg far enough so I can sit in the passenger seat when Pat comes down for his annual visit to Rehoboth Beach Land. Right now I'm still being loaded into the back seat of the car and unloaded. It's getting real old. I go to work June 1st. I think I can do that even though I still can't bend my left leg 180 degrees.

      Delete