Sunday, May 10, 2015

Happy Mother's Day . . . . . .

Mom, me and my two younger brothers - 1951 Compass, PA

Every year now when I hear the Mothers' Day advertisements I think "Not for me this year."  

My Mom died five years ago.  Five years, seems like only a few months ago.  

I was one of the lucky ones, I had the best Mom in the world (for me).  So much I could say about my Mom but I'll let just some of the hundreds of photos I took of her during her 86 years of life speak for themselves. 


Betty Hadfield - 1940 - high school senior

Mom and me - Mineral Springs, PA - 1942

Mom and me - my "Droopy Drawers" photo - 1942

Mom and me Kerr Park Downingtown PA 1948

Mom and her new fur (fake) coat Washington Ave, Downingtown, PA - 1950

Mom at our Boot Road house - 1958

Pop and Mom at East Brandywine home - 1963

Pop, Mom and me - East Brandywine, PA - 1975

Mom at her favorite spot overlooking her garden East Brandywine - 2000

Me and Mom in her garden - 2000

Me and Mom - 2002

Mom's new haircut - 2004

Mom - J.C. Penney official portrait - 2005

Me and Mom at Pop's headstone at Hopewell Methodist Church Cemetery - 2005

Mom with Easter flowers from her son John 

Mom and me with her leopard vest (which she loved fashion statement be damned)

Mom with her "bedwarmer" Molly (aka "Miss Martha") - 2006

Mom and "Miss Martha" taking a nap - 2006

Me giving my Mom a hug - she was never a hugger as you can tell from her body English

Me helping Mom back into her house - 2006

Mom with my younger brother John,  whose family with whom she lived and took wonderful care of her during her declining years in South Carolina - 2009

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Bob. My Mom was my best friend. She really was.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. A wonderful collection of photos and warm memories. I think that photos are often much more potent than words. Thanks for sharing these, Ron.
    My Mom also died about five years ago - - as you said, it only seems like a few months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      We both had wonderful mothers. When I became an adult and got to meet new friends and some of them told me that they didn't like their mothers, I couldn't believe them. I had assumed everyone had a mother like I did, a best friend. How sad to grow up not having a loving mother. Now my father, that was another whole story. I can't imagine having a loving, supportive father. I guess we all just adjust to our lot in life. But I was lucky in that I did have a fabulous mother and I miss her every day.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. So poignant, even for 'outsiders' like us. She was surely a most remarkable lady, Ron. I know it wasn't roses all the way but it would have been obvious to her that she was much appreciated by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You're right, it wasn't roses sometimes at the end when dementia took over but for most of my life I had the best Mom there could ever be for me for which I am forever thankful.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. An awesome tribute to an obviously WONDERFUL MOM! Happy Mother's Day, Ron, as bittersweet as it may be.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      She was the best! Ironic because she never had a mother. Her mother died before she was two years old. She was raised Cinderella like with wicked step-mothers.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Still mother's day in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely right David!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your pictures on the trip down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome Roger. I've posted some of these photos before but I never tire of seeing them. I cannot imagine what my life would have been like without my Mother. She grew up not having a mother. I was so lucky to have her. She was my best friend for so many years. And yes, I fit the gay stereotype exactly.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. what lovely and tender photos; thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Dr. Spo.

      Delete