Thursday, May 07, 2015

Blowing in the Wind or "Blossom Blizzard"




"Blowin' In The Wind"

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Yes, how many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, how many times can a man turn his head
Pretending he just doesn't see?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

Yes, how many times must a man look up
Before he can really see the sky?
Yes, how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind

The answer is blowin' in the wind.


No Bob Dylan fan here folks of his vocalizations but I do like the lyrics of most of the songs he wrote. "Blowing in the Wind" is one of my favorites. Makes you think.

I've been absent from my blog post for a day or two here because of events overtaking my waking hours.  Three times a week at physical therapy to help heal my leg.

Today I kept my long postponed dental appointment.  I had to cancel my original dental appointment last March because there was no way I could sit in the dental chair and keep my leg stiff without a great deal of pain.  Now that I can bend it a bit, I'm able to return to some of my normal activities.  I still have my annual eye examination to take, one that I usually take in January.

It was another beautiful day today here in the Diamond State (Delaware) in Lower Slower (Sussex County). Oh how I am missing taking my daily walks and working about the grounds here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  I was able to get all my petunias planted at the entrance to our driveway.  Had to plant them standing up, which (of course) killed my back.  But it had to be done. One thing about my compromised physical abilities this year, I won't be planting as many flowers.




I asked Bill to take a photo of me with my petunia bounty from the local greenhouse.  Here is the result.  Bill still can't get the knack of taking photos and videos with my iPhone.  He thought he was taking a photo here (even though I set it up) but he ended up taking a video.  Oh well, you get the idea.

Yesterday it was so windy that the pink blossoms blowing off our flowering prune tree looked like snow.  I tried to capture it on video tape.  



This is probably my favorite time of the year.  After a long and brutal winter (whatever happened to those mild Delaware winters?), new growth is sprouting up all around us.  We are so fortunate to live in the neighborhood where we live now.  Great neighbors, convenient to everything and quiet.  Oh how I like the quiet.  Bill does too.  

This clump of trees behind me in this video I planted four years ago.  They are river birch trees.  When I used to take my daily constitutional walk in the development behind our, I always admired one house who had this trio of river birch trees.  The trees are not only beautiful to look at but I love hearing the gentle rustle of the leaves as the wind blows through them.

In this day of so much violence and turmoil, the one thing I value above all others (in addition to good health) is peace and quiet.  We have it hear folks.  And I am so appreciative. 

8 comments:

  1. Ron, I'm so glad that you're savoring spring (spring is definitely meant to be savored - not merely enjoyed). The rain of pink blossoms is wonderful. It's amazing that you're able to plant flowers while standing. I have trouble enough when I bend down (my back and knees are reluctant to participate).

    I remember when I first heard "Blowin' in the Wind". It was the fantastic Peter, Paul, and Mary version and I was eleven years old. I loved it.
    Much like you, I was never a Dylan fan. He's one of the worst singers ever - -ranks right down there with Willie Nelson........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Anytime I heard Bob Dylan sing it annoyed me to no end. He doesn't actually sing, he drones. But his lyrics, especially "Blowing in the Wind", perfection.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I love Blowin' in the Wind. Best song he ever did.

    It's great you're getting back to normal, even with a reduced petunia load.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Definitely a "reduced petunia load" this year. I think that's the first time I ever read that statement. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I also can't abide Dylan's whining, nasal vocals. To me his songs always sound better and less distracting when performed by someone else.
    In the 1960s I thought he was a bit of a con in that people read and superimposed onto his lyrics mature meanings that hadn't been in his mind when he composed them. But this particular one is definitely good.

    It's been a strange day for us here, Ron. Our general election was yesterday and I was up and down through the night catching up on the results as they were declared - with a result that shocked just about everybody and confounded all the opinion polls during the campaign. The Conservatives have won outright and can now govern on their own for five years without having to go into coalition, as they have been with the Liberal Democrats since 2010. The leaders of the three main opposition parties have all resigned in the face of appalling results for eaxh of them. No one had predicted that outcome but it's happened. It's now a question of 'wait and see'. So our Prime minister, David Cameron, continues in office (no hanging around for three or more months here to have it confirmed!). It was he who, despite vocal opposition of much of his party, pushed through equal marriage but, that aside (and for which we're grateful) there's nothing especially to look forward to for some time - the rich will get even richer while the rest of us stagnate or dwindle away.

    Btw: Much easier to hear the sound of your speaking in second video above. That wind can certainly make itself known.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Dylan's "whining, nasal vocals", I couldn't believe it the first time I heard him. I said "This is the great Bob Dylan? He can't sing!" Still can't.

      We heard all about your general election Ray. Interestingly the U.S. media covers what goes on in the United Kingdom quite extensively, too much for Bill's taste. Of course he has an Irish (Kelly) background. Pat is interesting. His father is of Irish descent whereas on his mother's side his ancestry is French. French and Irish, now there is a combustible mix but Pat is very gentle guy.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron. there's many complaints here (including from myself) that we hear far too much of American domestic politics and other American issues when we get to know so little of what's happening inside those European countries on our own doorstep. Even British Commonwealth countries like Australia, Canada, NZ, hardly ever get a look-in while USA politics, disasters, weather events, shootings etc are pumped into our homes day by day as if no other country in the world is subject to similar events. It's been the case since as far back as I can remember, and it doesn't change. So I can understand Pat if he's a bit miffed by over-emphasis on another country which doesn't affect him directly at all.

      Delete
  4. Spring is truly intoxicating. It makes the winter almost worth it.

    ReplyDelete