Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Throwback Thursday - Pennsauken, New Jersey 1964

Me at Bill's apartment in Pennsauken, New Jersey - 1964

This week's walk down Memory Lane via Throwback Thursday is of me in 1964.

The location is 3732 A Herbert Avenue, Penn Manor Apartments, Pennsauken, New Jersey.

This is my Bill's apartment.  Note the iconic mid-sixties furniture.  Right out of "Mad Men."  Bill had a nice sense of style before I came into his life and started to place all my mother's doilies around.

Note the painting on the wall, that's was by Bill too. Looks like a paint drop cloth but then "art" is in the eye of the beholder isn't it?  Bill tossed this painting when we moved in an apartment together.

When I met Bill in July of 1964, I lived in Coatesville, Pennsylvania.  Coatesville was 51 miles away from Pennsauken.  After our first meeting, in which I went home with him after meeting him at the Westbury Bar in Philadelphia, Bill would pick me up every weekend.  Yep, he would drive the 51 miles one way to Coatesville, PA and pick me up and drive me to his apartment in Pennsauken, NJ.  Then Sunday he would drive me back to my apartment in Coatesville.  He did this every weekend from July 1964 to February 1965.  Every weekend folks.  Hey, I think he liked me.  And I knew that no one else would ever do that for me.


The weekly commute to Bill's apartment
So that's my Throwback Thursday this week folks!

Me - Bill's apartment Pennsauken New Jersey - 1964



20 comments:

  1. Ron,

    It's Wednesday, are you just posting early for tomorrow? Either way I enjoyed it, especially your Mother's doilies! I liked Bill's picture too.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted early Cindy. I have loads of my mother's doilies. Pat doesn't like them. Everybody seems to like Bill's painting. I did too. I was surprised when he threw it out.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:41 PM

    I really like that painting Bill did. I would love to have that hanging in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,
      Everybody seems to like Bill's painting. I did too. I was surprised when he threw it out when we moved. He made the frame too.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I like the painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Bill should have kept that painting. Everyone seems to like it. Me too!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron - very cool digs. That screen is pure Mondrian with a different colour combination. It was great back then with flip flops and casual clothes. Really great photos. And Bill is certainly talented in many ways.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Bill is talented in areas that I am not (not that I have much talent myself). We complement each other with our skills and talents. He's a builder, I am not. But I'm an organizer and get things done. Bill? Well, maybe not so much. And I won't go any further on this subject (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  5. What a hoot. Took me back to my childhood. Way back......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Out My Window,
      Took you back to your childhood? Me too! Fifty-one years ago is a long time. Where did that time go?
      Ron

      Delete
  6. At first I thought it might be a Jackson Pollock. (Though unlikely to be an original, of course - but one never knows). However, blowing it up for closer scrutiny it looks a bit more like 'pop-art'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      That was Bill's "pop-art." I liked his painting and I was surprised when he threw it out.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Oops - me and my big mouth! But I like to think that he'd have been flattered - and Bill too!

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      We're flattered (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I really like those retro 1960's photos. I couldn't imagine driving 50 miles one-way to pick anybody up. Bill was truly in love (and I'm sure still is). By 1964 I was a little tyke in California, but I had LOADS of relatives in New Jersey - - not in Pennsauken, however.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Not only did Bill drive 54 miles one way to my place in Coatesville, he drove back to his place then did it all over again to take me home on Sunday and then back to his apartment. A total of 216 miles EVERY weekend. Yes, he liked me, like no one else ever has since. And yes, he is still in love with me. I wasn't in love with him at first but grew to love him and still do. The only thing that will part us is if one of us dies.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. That second picture of you...WOW! So handsome (dare I say HOT?)!!! I could have easily fallen in love with you back then, though I was only 6 (and knew I was "different") in 1964!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Thanks! You brought a smile to my face this evening. Only six in 1964? I was four years old when I knew I was "different." Straight people have a hard time understanding how one so young can "know" but we did, didn't we? Thanks again for the "hot" compliment. I accept all compliments. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
    2. You're exactly correct: we knew something was "different" even if we couldn't put words to it.

      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
  9. Wow! what great photos! I love the decor

    ReplyDelete