Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Short and Sweet

Me, shopping without my walker this morning, YES!


Hey folks, I'll make this short and sweet.

I visited my orthopedic doctor this morning.  He took one look at my injured leg and said "You're coming along fine! Do you feel you still need your walker?"  I said "No!"

I told him that I would like to go back to using my cane.  He said that was all right but that, at the rate I'm going, I may not even need my cane in two weeks.  In fact, he said that I could probably take off my leg brace. 

Well, I'm not THAT comfortable yet and I reminded him that the night I fell on the ice ways back on that dark and cold night of February 18th, that I feel TWICE more and I was just lucky that I didn't cause more serious injury to other parts of my body like my hips or a head injury.  After I fell on the ice, when I was going back in the hotel to gather myself, my leg just gave out and I went down to the floor like a sack of potatoes.  Same thing happened later in the evening (morning actually, 3 AM after I left the emergency room) I fell at home coming out of the bathroom when I tried to do a turn . . . again my leg gave way and I hit the floor like a sack of potatoes, hitting my subwoofer next to my TV and taking out part of the drywall of my bedroom. Needless to say I have to gain my confidence back in standing on my own two legs.

But this was great news today.  After we left the doctor's office, we went shopping at Food Lion.  Thank goodness I didn't have to slow everyone down with my walker.  I used my cane this time.  My cane and leaning on the grocery cart.  It was wonderful folks!  

Freedom!

I asked him about the continuing swelling in my foot.  He said that would go away once I got this tourniquet of a leg brace off of my leg.  

My next appointment is two weeks hence.  He expects me to be off the leg brace by then.  In the meantime he wants me to exercise my leg by bending it a bit more.  Not too much but enough to get past the 15% bend that I have now.  

Baby steps folks, baby steps.  But I'm getting better!  

Hallelujah!




22 comments:

  1. Well, that's some mighty good news!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Progress Bob, that's all I ask for is progress.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    This is great news! Good to know what is causing the swelling. Perhaps you can carefully take some walks in your wonderful garden. What about physical therapy? Sounds to me that you are on track to heal more quickly than your Doc expected.

    Some good news here as well, we got an inch of rain last night with more on the way this afternoon. Won't end the drought, but I won't need to worry about watering for a little while...

    Cindy from Sonoma

    PS...What is your favorite color?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      That's the news I wanted to hear today. Even better was when he told me that I could probably go without the leg brace after my next visit to him in two weeks.
      Rain! Isn't it great? We're getting more today. Would love to clean my car but I'll take the rain anytime.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Excellent Progress ........ Almost time for an early morning walk on the boardwalk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      That's what I'm looking forward to, driving down to Rehoboth Beach and taking a leisurely walk on the boardwalk on one of these fine spring days.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Good news indeed. Bravo, Ron!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      I felt good leaving the doctor's office today. Progress, little at a time but progress.Still have a numb foot though and still very uncomfortable sitting at my computer typing this response to your comment.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Stronger every day. Falling really stinks, I had a couple of nasty falls last October - November.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Gravity is dangerous. I guess we don't realize how much we are at risk for falling until we do and we cause damage to ourselves. I wonder how many thousands of people die each year from falling. Gravity always gets us in the end though doesn't it? We end up in the ground.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Great progress, Ron! I know it is freeing to not be dependent on that walker.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You can't imagine how happy I am to finally be off that walker. I appreciated the walker right after surgery because it gave me confidence to be able to walk on my own, I definitely did not want to be wheelchair bound. But still, I am glad to be off the walker!
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am so happy for you Ron! Baby steps but they all add up to complete recovery, even if you will still have to be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadage,
      I am so glad I am making progress. Getting off the walker is just the first step. I can bend my leg a little now and I can even move my quadriceps but I still have a ways to go. I am looking forward to making much more progress in this month. My next visit to my doctor is two weeks from now. He's talking of taking my brace off. I'm not sure about that but maybe, just maybe.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    In 2013, 556,000 people died from unintentional falls. That the last figure I could find. So, if that many died in one year, we can imagine the number that had an injury from a fall. I actually did hear once that head injury from walkers falling made it much more reasonable for wearing helmets on a stroll than while riding a bicycle. I don't want to say that too often because the nanny-state will want to make it a law.

    You are making progress about how I predicted you would, maybe even a bit quicker. You got to get your get-along working well for when Pat comes down.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I didn't realize that many people died from unintentional falls. I knew it was a lot but a half a million? Let's get those helmets out!
      I hope to be up to snuff the end of next month (May) around Memorial day or the weekend after. Pat is planning on coming down that week. We can get our annual Old Time Cowboy photo taken then. Hooray!
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Wow, Ron - that is amazing progress! Congratulations! I wasn't expecting good news this quickly. The walker is officially retired. Keep using the cane, and easy does it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I wasn't expecting this good news so soon either. But I have been eating a lot of protein (to help with the healing) and doing the right exercise balanced with rest. This is hard for me, being as active as I am, but I have to keep this regimen if I want my leg to heal. And yes, I'm still using the cane. I try walking without the can every now and then but my cane is never far away. I don't want to have my leg give out and take a fall and lose all that I've gained in the last two months. You're right, "easy does it."
      Ron

      Delete
  10. This is improvement writ LARGE, Ron! Now do err on the side of caution, won't you? No risks unless you're really sure. It wouldn't do to have you losing all you've (re)gained - and you know that if there were to be a next time it wouldn't be any easier, probably the reverse.
    But, let's be positive, and rejoice. 'Hallelujah' indeed - with bells on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ray,
    This improvement caught me a big off guard I must admit. But I am erring on the side of caution. No risks. I do take a few steps without my cane but I make sure my cane is within reach. I just have to be patient and take these baby steps towards full recovery so I can get back to my old self.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ron - about unintentional falls - apparently a lot of Canadians die from these in Mexico from reports in the paper. And the good side of the walker is that now you've had some practice for when you might need one in perhaps around a quarter of a century's time. But - huge congrats on your progress.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK I've been away and I am catching up....
    Nice to see you walking yes but a tad disappointed still the left matches your right.

    ReplyDelete