Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Second Day of Physical Therapy and Other Thoughts



Just returned from my second day of physical therapy for my injured leg. 

I am so happy because with one day of PT under my belt, they have noticed I can bend my leg more. Exhilarating! Improvement!

Each day, progress!




I am still being transported in the back seat of my car.  I still cannot sit in the passenger seat of my car because I have to continue to wear my leg brace. That will be the next big step, bending my leg enough that I can sit in the passenger seat of my car.  Bill still would have to chauffeur me but at least I can drive up front with the big people.

I am so impressed with the physical therapy that I am now receiving.  These people know what they are doing and they are so nice.  As I mentioned in earlier posts, the last time I had physical therapy on my leg (the other one) was when I was in the Army.  I had dislocated my right knee.  The physical therapy at that time was Army conducted.  Maybe not so nice but they got the job done because I've been walking, running, and jumping on that dislocated knee leg since 1962.

This is my goal with my current return to physical therapy for an injured limb. You know, every now and then when I feel myself starting to feel sorry for my self with a "woe is me", I think of those folks who lost limbs at the Boston Marathon. All those soldiers who have lost limbs in that War of Choice in Iraq.  Then I think of my situation and think "How lucky I am."  

Actually, my fall on the ice and subsequent change of life is turning out to be a great learning experience for me.  Not only am I grateful that I wasn't injured more seriously, I realize that again, I have dodged a bullet by being more seriously injured.  And I am getting well.  I am not permanently injured.

And something else has significantly changed in my life.  I realize how vulnerable I am, how we all are, to just one misstep.  Again I thank my lucky stars that I have Bill in my life.  Who else, I ask you who else would do for me what Bill has?  Who has devoted the past fifty years of his life to caring for me? 

Sure, Bill and I have had our differences over these past half century but Bill is the one person I know who makes me the number one priority in his life. This isn't to criticize others in my life who are my friends but they have other priorities and I understand that. 

Thank you Bill for being the chauffeur in my life. 


"Your ride awaits sir!"





18 comments:

  1. You seem to be so good for one another,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      That we are, even with the frequent friction.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - you always marry up the best pictures with what you have to say. And so often funny. Thanks for that. Activities will soon be changing for you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I like to punch up the narrative with descriptive photos and there are so many available on the Internet. Just takes a little effort. I like to leave my readers with a smile, even when I'm expounding on serious subjects.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. It is just so nice to see the huge smile on your face in the first video. We should all be grateful everyday for what we have. Bill is your husband and will always be there for you, and you for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Oh it is so nice to be able to smile again. Now that I am seeing actual progress in the healing of my leg, more smiles are on the way. And yes, when all is said and done Bill is the one who is always there for me and I for him. That's why we've been together so long. We give each other the freedom to be ourselves but we are always there for each other.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous10:02 PM

    Ron, I am so glad you have each other. My partner, too, is older than I am, yet because of a disease he frequently has to take care of me. I do my best to return the favor when he has his own health struggles, and I think we make a good team. It also never hurts to always say "thank you" or let your partner know how much he means to you; sounds like you do that. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      It is ironic that Bill, at 86, has been thrust into the role of my caregiver these past few years because of my prostate cancer, kidney stones and now leg injury. He gets a little grumpy at times (I don't blame him) but he never fails. And yes, I do thank him, often. He knows how much he means to me.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ooh I do like being chauffeured in the back seat.
    I hope the jolly PT people have you leaping in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You would like this PT facility. And the personal service I'm receiving from "Rich." I was dreading having to do PT and hoping I wouldn't have too but this has proven to be such a pleasant and valuable experience, I am actually looking forward to going. Sometimes things just work out of the best. Sometimes. (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  6. It's what promises are about, Ron, between honorable people who love each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      You hit the nail on the head. Bill and I have our faults and we have our differences (oh, do we ever) but we will never let one another down . . . . never.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. J'aime bien votre humour . Merci de partager vos pensées ; je lis votre blog tous les jours et depuis plusieurs années .Forgive me not to write in English because I am not very good at it but I totally understand what you write .
    Nghi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nghi,
      Merci pour votre commentaire. Se il vous plaît sentir libre de commenter à tout moment . Soit dit en passant , où demeures-tu ? Bonne journée!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Tres bien Monsieur Ron Tipton - votre français est superbe!!

      M. Flynn

      Delete
    3. Thank you Pat!

      Delete
    4. Ah , J'ai oublié de préciser que je suis une femme de 60 ans , Il est vrai que mon prénom ne vous indique rien ....Bonne journée .

      Delete
  8. Je suis Française d'origine Viêtnamienne et j' habite en France depuis 40 ans . Je vous ai trouvé en lisant le blog de Ken ( living the life in Saint Agnan ) que j' aime beaucoup aussi . J 'essaie de progresser en anglais en vous lisant tous les jours . En plus , votre style d'écriture ainsi que votre humour me plaisent beaucoup .I can write a little in English but I am sure I will make mistakes .

    ReplyDelete