Friday, April 03, 2015

It Never Rains in California?



Remember the song "It Never Rains in California"? Well, Pat and I brought good luck to Los Angeles during our visit because it rained when we visited this past January.  


You can't miss Pat and Nadege with their day-glo colors walking in a gray, rainy day in downtown Los Angeles

We had made arrangements to meet our friend Nadege in Little Tokyo in downtown Los Angeles. A gentle rain was falling. 


Follow the brightly colored couple

Both Pat and I have outwear that is rain proof. Nadege brought her umbrella.  She was not deterred by the rain at all.  In fact she was quite happy that Los Angeles was finally getting some rain. She said California has had a drought for three years now and desperately needs rain.

Pat stopped in a Japanese book store.  Pat loves Japanese interior furniture design.  Pat was in his element.  Pat likes the clean look of Sixties retro design, a la Jetsons.


Pat in a Japanese bookstore in Little Tokyo

We were meeting Nadege for lunch (photos and videos of which I will post in a subsequent blog).  Again I have to thank Nadege for being just the perfect hostess.  How wonderful to meet in person someone who has been commenting on my blog.  

Prior to lunch Nadege took us for a tour in a nearby Japanese garden. Isn't it amazing that even on a gray, dreary and rainy day how genuine friendships can brighten a day? Also, the fresh and vibrant colors of the Japanese garden added to the specialness of this day.



Just how lucky am I to spend an afternoon in downtown Los Angeles with two delightful people like Nadege and Pat?  It just doesn't get any better than this folks.


Pat and Nadege in the Japanese garden
Next year Pat and I plan to split our time between staying five days at the bed and breakfast in West Hollywood and five days at the Doubletree Hotel in Little Tokyo.  Oh yes, a trip to Los Angeles is now an annual event on our schedule.  Always good to have something to look forward to.


Friends: Nadege and Pat

18 comments:

  1. Ron - even with the little bit of rain nothing could dampen that day. Nadege is just one of those positive people. And the restaurant where she brought us to eat and the garden at the hotel - and of course - Little Tokyo which I remember from previous visits made for a splendid afternoon. You and I returned to Little Tokyo again during our stay - one of our hangouts besides the Veggie Grill Complex at 8000 Sunset Blvd.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      What a pleasant visit we had and Nadege was so nice. I am so looking forward to a return visit next January.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Despite the weather your positive mood shines through. This is exactly the sort of day when it all comes together just right and that, for some reason, one remembers more than other more likely occasions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      To my dying day I will be positive, that's my nature. Recently, two of my friends died. They died bitter. What an awful way to go, leaving a memory like that. I'm 73 years old now. If I should die tomorrow I will have won because I have had a very good life. I have no reason to be bitter and resentful.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. If there is an 'afterlife', in whatever form it may take, it's horrible to carry over negative emotions while one makes ones new entrance. Should be left behind like an unwanted coat. Easier said than done, of course, depending on personal circs.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      I doubt seriously that there is an afterlife. I think what we're experiencing now is IT. Make the most of every day, don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today. I've put too many things off in my lifetime, no more. As soon as my leg heals I'm make on The Trail again.
      And about the negative emotions when we leave this existence, isn't it a shame that some go out that way? Why? Why be bitter? The person who I know who went out that way (name unsaid out of respect for him because he's gone now and cannot defend himself) choose his life. I am a firm believer you are where you choose to be in life. You can either sit and stew and lament your bad fortune or do something about it. I choose to do something about it. Maybe I don't always succeed but I never gave up. That was never an option with me.
      Ron

      Delete
    4. That makes so much more sense than the "You'll get your reward in heaven" philosophy, Ron, because as we both know, there almost certainly isn't one.

      Delete
    5. Ray,
      That age old promise "You'll get your reward in Heaven" philosophy was (and is) the big lie perpetuated by those in power (medieval times by the lords and the Church) to justify the peasant's poor, starving existence and the lords and Church's excesses. The Muslims extremists now use a variation on that Lie (72 Virgins awaiting suicide bombers in Heaven) to justify their evil deeds. Ray, there is NOTHING after we did . . . . NOTHING.

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Could you and Pat head back sooner? We really need a lot more rain! Here in Northern CA we only had two major storms this year in December and February. Those were horrific with major flooding and damage. Now we have mandatory rationing of 25%, which is ok for me since I have been saving more than that. My yard and I are sad, no annuals again this year except for a few pots. Now I buy succulents instead of flowers. I still grow vegetables though, love a home grown ripe tomato!

    Cindy in Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll ask Pat Cindy. I would love to return to California. LOVE TOO!

      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron,

      Ask him to visit the San Francisco area, I am close and I want rain. SF is different than the LA area, but I expect he would enjoy it just as much. Besides Southern CA is using up all our water! The coast line alone is enough to take your breath away. And then closer to me we are known for fine wine. I happen to know a place or two to visit in wine country...

      Cindy from Sonoma

      Delete
    3. Cindy,
      Pat has never been to the San Francisco area. I tried to talk him into visiting SF this last trip. Maybe next trip. I was only in SF once, 1979, for a day. I loved it and I think Pat would too.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. The videos made me feel like I was there. I used to absolutely love rainy days in Southern California. The rain was (usually) so pure, gentle, and fresh. Not like the icy midwest rain or the dirty Texas rain. And I like day-glo colors on rainy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      It was a nice, gentle rain. Refreshing actually. Nadege was so happy with the rain. She said it was the first time it rained in months.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Fun in a nice place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Each day is a gift. We intend to make the most of every day we have good health and the freedom to travel.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I have to write that I was so happy I could finally meet you both in person. Notice how small my umbrella is. If I lived in a rainy climate, my umbrella would have been bigger. The sad thing about viewing the video is noticing that I haven't lost the 20 pounds I gained when I had foot surgery.
    I am really looking forward to your visit again in 2016. A side trip to Palm-Springs, Santa Barbara or San Diego would be fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Both Pat and I were very happy to meet you. We were both looking forward so much to meeting you. And thank you for being such a wonderful hostess to us, two Old Guys from the East starstruck with L.A. Let's plan on spending more time together next year when Pat and I visit Los Angeles in January. I would love to take a side trip to Santa Barbara or San Diego and take you with us. We will have room in our rental car! And yes, it would be fun.
      Ron

      Delete