Saturday, April 18, 2015

Glorious Spring Saturday Morning



 Good morning folks! This is what life is all about, this glorious spring Saturday morning. This is what I live for folks.

Bill and I just got back from Pepper's Greenhouse.  I had to by some alyssum flowers for my oval planter.  


Alyssum is usually the first spring plant that I buy.  This delicate, aromatic flower thrives in cool temperatures.  I can plant it in my oval planter and it will last all summer up and until the first frost and a few weeks thereafter.  It doesn't like the heat of summer and goes go into a bit of hibernation but quickly recovers during the cool fall temperatures.  

Each year I have to make sure I get to the local greenhouse early enough to purchase my alyssum.  One year I got there too late and they were out and I was out of luck.  I had to go the whole spring and summer season without my "carpet of snow."  

Of course this morning was a chore getting to Pepper's.  Bill still has to load me into the back seat of the car.  My leg doesn't bend enough, with this leg brace still on, to sit in the front seat.  But I'm hoping my doctor advises me to ditch the leg brace and advising me to bend my leg (knee) more.  

While we were at Pepper's we ran into my co-worker Lou and his lovely wife Eileen (I think that's here name).  


Bill, Lou and Eileen at Pepper's Greenhouse this morning
 Small world around here folks!  That's what I love about living in Delaware, especially southern Delaware. Look at Bill, he looks thrilled doesn't he? He still has to follow me around, pushing a cart and making sure my leg doesn't give out.  Oh it was so good to get out this morning and at least start back on some semblance of my regular spring routine of visiting Pepper's.  I also brought to parsley plants.  The danger of frost isn't over yet and parsley is one of those plants that can take a mild frost of two.  Later on when the danger of frost is past (after Mother's Day or May 15th) I'll buy some basil, sage, cilantro, and other herb plants.  

When I woke up this morning the swelling on my injured leg was almost nothing.  I was swimming in my brace, moving my leg and knee around almost like normal.  

I can feel normalcy returning folks!  Isn't it amazing how the body heals itself?  Life is amazing. And I treasure every moment I have.  

This morning I was thinking about my friends Ed and Wayne who died earlier this year.  No more will they experience the special joys of spring. So sad for us who have been left behind but, hopefully, wherever they are they are happy and enjoying eternal bliss.

Here's to you guys, you are missed.


Ed Cage - died January 27th 2015
Wayne Juneau - died February 17th, 2015

12 comments:

  1. Spring ... tiem of renewal ... for the garden and the soul, and, yeah, the leg, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron,

    So glad you are able to do some planting in your garden! I just sprinkled many sunflower seeds in my yard and I am watering them in illegal! You are doing great!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      This is just about the best time of the year. Way better than a few months ago when the temperatures were zero degrees and people were falling on ice.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You haven't broken the doctors orders and ditched the brace? I have never been very good at following orders. Enjoy your spring day. The trees are nearly all in leaf here, that should put us past frost (My grandfather taught me that when the leaves on a oak tree are as big as a squirrels ear, you are free of frost. That only failed him once in 60 years, he had 10 acres of tomatoes in ground that spring and spent most of the night trying to save half of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Oh I've thought about it. Only one more day to go until my appointment tomorrow with my doctor. I'm walking around now more without the cane but I make sure my cane is nearby. Every day I can bend my leg just a little more . . . . progress!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Mr. Greenthumb! In my yard, if it doesn't grow there naturally, it doesn't grow at all.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I do have a green thumb but I am not mechanically inclined. Thank goodness Bill is.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I'm really a Bill fan now seeing him in his Pittsburgh Steelers Hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      You can still be a "Bill fan" but him wearing that Pittsburgh Steelers hat doesn't mean he's a fan. He hates football. But everyone likes Bill. I'm sure you would too.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I very much miss gardening; I get to live through yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Gardening and reading, probably my top two passions and pastimes . . . even more so that you know what. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete