Tuesday, April 21, 2015

First Day of Physical Therapy



What a glorious day! I just finished my first session of physical therapy on my injured leg. I am one happy guy!

The session lasted an hour. Everyone who attended, instructed and helped me was professional, kind and knowledgeable. There were just nice.  The facility is nice. The weather was nice.  What a great day!

I wanted to take more pictures but of course, since I was prone, and there were other people in the center, I couldn't very well without causing disruption.  But I did ask on of my physical therapists to take this short video of me.  I was embarrassed to do so but I did want to get my first visit on record.  

As I said before, they were very gentle with me, taking one step at a time.  They showed me a series of exercises to take with the instruction to stop when it started to hurt.  No one was to repeat that to me, I always stop when it hurts, whatever the scenario.

They also showed me exercises I could do at home, which I am doing right now as I type this quickie blog entry.  All the exercises have the goal to get me to bend my knee more until I have full use of my leg.  Right now I can bend my knee about 30% which is a lot more than I could bend it last week.

There was one other picture I wanted to take, me with both legs on this giant blue beach ball.  I didn't want to push my luck today with too many special requests.  I laid the groundwork through that I do keep a blog and want to keep my followers informed of my latest "adventure".  Maybe next time (which is tomorrow at 3 PM) I'll ask one of the therapists (not a shrink but an actual physical therapist) to take THAT picture.


Oh, by the way, right off the bat "Rich" told me "I know you're going to do well because you have a positive attitude."  Wow.  That made me feel so good.  I do have a positive attitude.  To me there is no other choice.  You give up and you might as well die.  And folks, I'm not ready to die yet.  Oh no, not by a long shot.

\



15 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yes, Physical Therapy is great. It was a wonderful experience. I started back in December through last Thursday. Everyone where I went were friendly and professional, too.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Such a pleasant surprise. I am looking forward to going to physical therapy. I go again tomorrow at 3 PM then three times a week, usually in the morning, which is best for me (doesn't interfere with my afternoon nap).
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    You will do very well due to your positive attitude. You will be out running before you know it!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      When "Rich", my PT therapist said that he saw my positive attitude right away, I was surprised. I didn't know I was that obvious. But his comment made me feel so good. I am positive about getting well
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Onward! Mt Everest awaits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I will conquer this latest mountain.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. YAY for PT! You rock, Ron!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's definitely a light at the end of the tunnel, Ron, and a rainbow. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      That light at the end of the tunnel is just a glimmer now but I do see it and I'm going there!
      Ron

      Delete
  6. There is nothing so jolly and enthuisastic as PT workers. I hope it is a quick and fun journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      What a pleasant surprise those PT workers were to me. I'm actually looking forward to going to physical therapy now. I was dreading it, something to just get though. Now I fee totally different about this latest hurdle. This is going to be fun.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I want to be the first to read your forthcoming 'inspirational book' BEFORE publication.

    But seriously, sounds like things could hardly be better. Soon you might be be saying that it were so lucky to have fallen at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I am so pleased with the location of the PT facility, the people and the exercises. I thought I was going to be in for some major pain but they are very sensitive to not "pushing it" but doing things gradually. I am looking forward to my next session today at 3 PM.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had such a pleasant experience! I have really bad ankles and am constantly rolling them. They are really big and swollen now and I don't know why. Do you think physical therapy can help them look normal again? http://southmiamisportsmedicine.org/smsm1/services/crossfit-lessons/

    ReplyDelete