Sunday, April 12, 2015

Celebration at The Grove Los Angeles, California



Time to return to Ron and Pat's Wonderful Vacation Adventure in Los Angeles, California:

Today's installment is of me and Pat and our wonderful, lovely, beautiful and gracious hostess Nadege treating me and Pat to a movie at the Pacific Theater at The Grove, the place to be in West Hollywood.  This isn't the Dover Mall folks (hardly). To say I was in culture shock (me, a Walmart and B.J.'s regular) would be an understatement. When we walked into the sumptuous, spacious and luxurious lobby of the Pacific movie theater I realized that I was miles and miles away from the Midway movie theater of Rehoboth Beach. Wow, I could get used to this.


The "Refreshment Stand" at the Pacific movie theater at The Grove (Pat is the third person from the right) - hey Raybeard, how would you like this to be your neighborhood movie theater?



You know folks, I don't think I could ever go back to the Midway Theater in Rehoboth Beach now. I've been thoroughly spoiled. Oh it doesn't take much to spoil me.  I've known from an early age that I have expensive tastes, way above my social strata.  I must have been filthy rich in one of my previous lives. Maybe I was one of those first class Titanic passengers that went down with the ship in 1912.  I don't know but what I do know is that I very easily gravitate towards expensive tastes. I am a snob. 

The movie we decided on was a Liam Neeson movie "Taken Three."  Pat had seen the previous Liam Neeson "Taken" movies and said this was true to the formula.  I liked the movie but I'm more of a "Downton Abbey" kind of movie guy.  But I loved the luxurious seats we were nestled in.  Wow, again this wasn't the Midway theater in Rehoboth Beach. Great surround sound, movie screen and comfortable seats.  What's not to like for $27.95?




After we watched the movie, we exited to the outside to decided what to do next. Nadege suggested the Farmer's Market. Oh, I've heard so much about the Farmer's Market. By the way, the rain . . . . very unusual for Los Angeles but it didn't bother us or the other shoppers at the Grove that day.  it was a gentle rain, not the kind of rain that you always see in the movie, buckets of rain. This was real life rain, not "movie rain" which is actually garden hoses from the side out of camera range.


Looking at these videos and pictures that I took of our California Adventure I am reminded of how lucky I am to be able to record these memories forever. I've been accused (by some) of "living in the past." Well folks, I plead guilty. My only regret is that I didn't take more pictures and videos in my past so I could relive me past and share these good times with those who are interested now. This is my legacy.




Continuing on with our rainy day at The Grove, if I lived in West Hollywood I daresay I would be hanging out at places like The Grove almost every day. So it's a good thing I don't live in West Hollywood because I couldn't afford it. Not with my modest bank pensions and Social Security and part-time job at the hotel in Lewes. I'm just small potatoes man, able to take a once a year fantasy journey to Hollywood and indulge myself with friends for a few fun days. Of course we will be returning next year.  Always great to have something to look forward too.


The food court at the Farmer's Market - The Grove Los Angeles, California

By the way folks, I think I'm finally going to make that trip I've always wanted to make my whole life . . . to my ancestral homeland . . . . England.  Yes, it is true folks, perhaps next year in the spring.  That is if my health holds out and I don't have any more accidents.  Time is a running out folks, the old Hour Glass of Life for me is quickly coming to an end.  I'm always surprised when I look at videos or pictures and realize they were taken six, seven and more years ago.  Time does go by so fast.  Now is not the time to put off That Trip for sometime in the future.  The future is here now.


Look closely and you'll see "Tipton" England - where my clan started out - located in the Black County of Midlands, England

13 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Man, I don't know. You must live in the sticks. That movie theater looks a lot like my local movie theater; a little lag, but basically the same.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Actually I do "live in the sticks" here in Rehoboth Beach. Maybe someday we'll get past the crab cake bombs and high priced summertime parking. Basically everything else down here from shopping centers (other than the outlet malls) and movie theaters are definitely subpar but they don't charge subpar prices. Proof that I live "in the sticks" is that it cost $35 to catch an airport limo from Downingtown but here in the sticks it costs $450 PLUS tip. Heck, we're just getting the mosquitoes under control.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. England will be fun. A country of beauty and class! You still have some good years ahead of you Ron. I see lots of wonderful trips coming your way along with Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I've always wanted to travel to England before I died and I didn't want to do the Tourist Trip. I want to do the driving the countryside tour with someone who enjoys my company and won't desert me the minute we land. That's what happened to me with everyone else I ever traveled with. And Bill doesn't like to travel although he's traveled the world. Pat will be the perfect travel mate.I just hope I can last long enough to make the trip.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. England is wonderful, it is easy to travel to. If you hate overnight flights, you can day flights from Dulles and New York (maybe Philly) to London. Train service is good in England, driving is a challenge (I rented a car once - not a good experience.) We spent a week 8 years ago with friends who live in the north end of London and they rented a car and drove allowing us to get away from the beaten path.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thanks for your tips on traveling to England. Of course I would want to touch at the usual tourist locations like the Tower of London and the changing of the guard. But I also want to travel the country backroads. Traveling by train is an option that I hadn't thought of. One thing I know for sure, I would like to visit England at least once before I check out.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Wow, what a fantastic theater lobby! It looks better than the Music Center. But $27.95 for a movie??
    I hope it included dinner. I remember the days when I thought $1.50 was too much.

    The Grove wasn't around when I lived in Hollywood, but I sure remember the Farmers Market and was there many times. I saw numerous famous people there. Judging from your videos, it hasn't changed at all. I would kill for those candied apples!!!

    I like the Tipton coat of arms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I was very impressed with the theater lobby. Pat took me to one of those cinema complexes in Toronto which was equally impressive. The $27.95 wasn't the exact cost but it was somewhere in that range for the three of us. I too remember when I thought $5.00 per movie was too much. When I first started going to movies I paid .20 cents per movie. That jumped to .45 cents per movie once I reached the "adult" age of 12 years. I thought then "I can't afford to go to the movies anymore". These days I prefer to wait a few months then order the DVD from my account at Netflix and watch movies in the comfort of my bedroom,, which Pat calls "The Tipton Cinema."
      I loved the Farmers Market. And how about those candied apples? I always loved candied apples when I was a kid.
      The whole time we were in L.A. we didn't see one famous person. When we return next year we'll have to scrutinize extra carefully because I'm sure there were famous people around during our wanderings, we just didn't recognize them. By the way, Pat is working this morning as an extra on the film "Escape From New York." Lots of extra work in Toronto, probably more so than in L.A.
      Let's meet in L.A. next year Jon. Let's do it!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Well, Ron, I'll grant you that the foyer of that cinema is spacious but I've seen so many smaller-scale versions of these soul-less spaces in several countries that, apart from the size, they fail to impress. In any case I'm one of those old fuddy-duddies who prefers to have anyone watching a film with me to sit in total silence, not munching or slurping. So why do they give such expanse to those who want to do that, almost inviting them to buy noise-precipitating confections?.....(and don't get me started on mobile phones!) But I dare say that on first entering one of these 'entertainment centres' ones jaw may well drop.

    'Taken 3', eh? Hmmmm. Well, knowing Pat's tastes through you I shouldn't have been surprised. Actually, not having seen it it might well have been a 'classic' but for me the first 'Taken' which was fair enough, was all I wanted to see of the formula-type thriller.

    I do hope your trip to England comes off. It goes without saying that if you make it we simply HAVE to meet up - though I've said before that meeting me here in my flat on the south coast is absolutely a no-no, I regret to say, but meeting elsewhere is a total 'must'.
    If and when your plans solidify we'll discuss things further but as for doing your doing a lot of travelling on train, I can tell you that the trains here are the most expensive in Europe, possibly in the world, (certainly one of them) - and the service is nothing like as superior as one would expect for having to pay so much, outclassed in so many ways (speed, punctuality, seat availability etc) by many continental train services, which I know from experience. But expense may not be the issue with you as it is for so many of us natives.

    I've only been through the Midlands area that you're aiming for, a few times, never really stopping to have a good look, so can't really comment on worthwhile sights, if any. It's in what is still known as the 'Black Country' here, a nickname going back to when it was heavily industrialised (NOT for any other reason) though I dare say it's much more attractive now than it used to be.
    I dare say there'll be much more to talk about on this as your intended plans take shape.

    Nice number of vids you've given us today. Keep 'em coming - at least until you've exhausted them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I don't go to movie theaters for the very reasons you stated in your comment. I prefer to watch movies in total silence. The cinema complex here in Rehoboth is not that. Full of kids, moms, squirming and crying babies and people talking . . . . the last two movies I saw were "Avatar" and "Gravity" and only in the movie theater because I wanted to see them on the big screen. My "Tipton Cinema" in my bedroom is just like a movie theater only better. A 60 inch TV screen, surround sound and TOTAL silence, not to mention a bathroom a few steps to the right which, when I go I can put the movie I'm watching on PAUSE. I liked the movie theater that we attended in L.A. because of the very comfortable plush seats with head rest and the theater was quiet. Maybe it was a fluke and we just got lucky that day. I'm not a fan of formula films like "Taken" but Pat is. As I said I'm more of a "Downton Abbey" kind of guy, which Pat isn't (he said it bored him)(.
      We are definitely going to visit England and we will visit you in Swansea (is that where you live") The only thing that would stop me is if I have another health "situation", which at my age seems to be happening with increasing frequency.
      Glad you liked the videos, I have more coming!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, I think we talked about 'Taken 3' a little while ago, so after I wrote the above I realised I was just repeating myself.
      In cinemas comfy seats with PLENTY of leg room can make all the difference. Who wants to spend two hours or more in a hideously contorted position? Not me!

      I actually live in Worthing, on the south coast near Brighton, this country's gayest city. Swansea is actually in Wales, a country (actually a 'principality') I've never visited, and not so easy to get to from where I am, though not impossible. But we'll discuss all that nearer the time.

      Delete
  6. Ron - your blogger followers are so quick on the draw. Here I thought I'd completely missed one of yours due to all the comments. But it was just earlier this morning. Yes I was doing extra work for a series called The Strain. Today we were anxious New Yorkers trying our best to get on the last train out of the city in order to escape the virus.
    Thanks again for the LA memories. Such a great visit. It looks like England is in the future. Have to start saving.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Believe it or not, I don't think a trip to England will cost all that much more than our trip to Los Angeles. Air fare is about the same, even cheaper in some cases. I just don't know what the cost will be for lodgings. Should be interesting though. Something I've always wanted to do, see England by rail or car. Maybe next spring!
      Ron

      Delete