Thursday, April 02, 2015

Am I Missing Spring?

Getting some fresh air today on our back deck - yep, I'm still dependent on my walker


Yes I am. 

 Every year I look forward with great anticipation to the first blooming my daffodils. This year I can only look at them from afar, my back deck.

Basically housebound, I saw the bright sun out today and the wind rustling the holly bushes.  I told Bill "I'm going out on the back deck."  He said "It's cold."  Actually, at 66 degrees it wasn't but it was windy and Bill feels the cold more than I do. I just wanted to breath in some fresh air.

On a day like this, in the past, I would be taking my daily walk back in the Oyster Rock development behind where we live. Oh how I miss those daily walks, especially on a glorious spring day like today. 

I have another two months to go (eight weeks) until I'm back to normal with my walking without the aid of a walker or a cane.  Right now the damaged tissue of my left leg is still in the process of healing.

This Tuesday I have a follow-up appointment with my orthopedic doctor.  This will be one month to the day since I had surgery on my leg.

This morning I took a shower, my second since surgery. Oh how wonder a shower makes me feel. Of course I have to be very careful maneuvering myself in and out of the shower.  I have this nightmare vision of myself losing control and falling down in my shower and laying on the floor, naked and helpless while the water beats down on my.  I'm screaming for Bill, who of course can't hear me because he's hard of hearing.  When I call him now I have to call him on my iPhone.  I don't take my iPhone in the shower with me.  One of my few vulnerable moments that I worry about. As I mentioned before, my iPhone probably saved my life that awful night of February 18th when I tripped over that frozen water spout ice and severed my quadricep ligaments that caused all this damage.  If I didn't have my iPhone I would have laid there all night until someone came in the hotel the next morning.  Now wouldn't that have been a pretty sight assuming I didn't fall outside in the zero degree weather and die of hyperthermia. 

The good news here folks is that each day is getting better.  I feel a little movement in my injured leg.  My biggest and most persistent problem is the constant swollen lower leg and foot.  Sometimes it worse than other times.  Nighttime is the best time for relief.

Alright folks, tomorrow I post a more upbeat blog about my trip to California trip. Back to good times before The Accident. We need an upbeat blog posting from Ron. Tomorrow folks, I promise.


10 comments:

  1. A few warm days and spring is going to explode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Spring is exploding already. It was a long winter and I'm still experiencing the after effects. I won't forget this winter anytime soon.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I just glad that you're able to get outside for a breath of fresh air. The next two months will pass quickly - - and you'll be able to retire your walker to the attic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I'm used to going out several times a day. This housebound business and not being able to drive is killing me. I am so looking forward to retiring my walker to the attic. I had a dream that I lost my walker. I see me doctor this Tuesday. Hopefully he'll give me permission to walk with a cane and leave my walker behind.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Glad things are improving. It's nice that you can get out on the deck. As the weather gets nicer, it sounds like it would be a nice place to sit and nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      I always wanted a back deck. We didn't have one at our house in Pennsylvania. I love this deck that overlooks our back yard. It's perfect, just the way I envisioned it.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. You need to be able to get out to enjoy Spring at its best, which (one hopes) hasn't happened yet.
    It must be adding to your disappointment, especially seeing that your leg improvement is being far slower than you might have hoped. Hope there's a sudden acceleration in the right direction that'll give you a much-needed April surprise.

    Our own temps still remain stubbornly below the norm for this time of year though there's a chance that they'll be nudging up a teeny bit for Easter Sunday. And not before time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ray,
    Spring is busting out all over here and I'm missing a lot of it!
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you thought about putting your iPhone in a double or even triple layer of plastic bags and taking it into the shower with you? It might ward off evil spirits -- kind of like carrying an umbrella so it won't rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      Uh, I think I'll pass on this suggestion. I wouldn't want to take the chance of ruining my iPhone, my lifesaver. I do take my aluminum cane in the shower with me though.
      Ron

      Delete