Monday, April 13, 2015

A Taste of Spring 2015 and Oher Thoughts




Today is one of those glorious spring days that hurts.  Here I am stuck in the house with this bum leg.  If I wasn't hopping around on this leg, I would be outside today surveying my backyard for "holes" to  plant daffodils for next year's bloom fest.

I also would be taking a walk on the boardwalk in Rehoboth.  This is the best time of year to walk the boards in Rehoboth.  The kids are still in school and the tourists are still at their homes.  Late fall and early spring are the best times for us locals to enjoy the coastal pleasures of Rehoboth Beach.  Looks like I'm going to miss that pleasure this year. But then I think of my friends Ed Cage and Wayne "The Cajun" Juneau . . . . their glorious spring days are gone now.  Ed died January 27th and Wayne died February 17th, one day before I fell and injured my leg.

Wherever they are now I hope they are in eternal bliss and raising a toast to us still struggling through every day life here on earth and trying to grab a little bit of happiness whenever when we can. Here's to you Ed and Wayne.


Ed and Wayne at the Purple Parrot

8 comments:

  1. Enjoy what we can, as we can, while we can

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Normally, on days like this I would give Ed a call and ask him if he was coming down for the weekend, perhaps we could go out to dinner at his favorite restaurant, Villa Sorrento in Lewes. No more. Those times have ended. One thing I'm glad of, the last time I went to dinner with Ed was only a few months before he died and we did go to the Villa Sorrento. Ed, who doesn't compliment easily, said after dinner "That was nice." Pat was with me, it was the first and last time Pat met Ed. He liked Ed. I will always remember Ed saying "That was nice." He is missed.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:16 PM

    Ron,
    Your daffodils are beautiful! Its good to hear you are recovering so well, keep up the good work of healing so well.

    Take care,
    Calvin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminiscences of the dear departed all play their part in helping one appreciate life while we still have it - and appreciating daffs too, though they didn't need any extra nudging to be liked..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    It doesn't look like you could possibly find a hole to plant another bulb! The daffodils are lovely, mine are long spent after blooming very early this year. I to am missing planting again this year, though my reason is the drought. I will plant vegetables and have my raised beds for that purpose ready to go now. I enjoyed a very long walk yesterday, but today looks to be to windy for that.

    I have another funny hotel stay story to tell you about, I will email you about that later today.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ron - thank goodness you'll be ready for the majority of the good weather. Up in Toronto the bicyclists are out in full swing. I know you are going to feel like a new man once you are able to do the gardening chores and neighbourhood walks - not to forget the hotel part time job and doing some driving. Very soon now.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron - your daffodil video brought to mind a haiku I tried to compose using the syllable and line restrictions. Not brilliant - but my try at Japanese haiku.

    daffodils dancing
    in the
    gentle breeze on a hillside

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2nd attempt

    Ron - your daffodil video reminded my of an attempt I made to write a Japanese haiku with syllable and line restriction. It is as follows.

    Daffodils dancing
    in the
    breeze on a hillside.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete