Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Spring is in the Air




 For the first time since my surgery last Tuesday (one week ago today), I got out of the house and breathed in fresh air.  

I went out on our back deck.  I dare not go out in public because it is too cumbersome with my leg in a brace and the risk of catching a cold or the flu, thus compromising my immune system. 

Oh how wonderful it was to have that wonderful, fifty-five degree, wind caress my old face.  There is life in Ron yet.  There is life yet!  

Tomorrow I have an appointment with my orthopedic doctor.  I will have to get out of the house to go to his office.  However, I won't be making any visits to supermarkets like I did before my leg surgery.  My home health care worker warned me that I would be exposed to the flu virus that is still making the rounds.  She said there were twenty-six deaths already in Delaware from the flu.  I had a bad cold a few weeks ago, I don't know if it was the flu or not.  But I certainly don't want to get sick again.

I'm eating well, going to the bathroom regularly, getting enough exercise and rest.  The one real challenge I have to deal with is patience.  She said it will take three months for my leg to get back to normal.  Sometimes I think of that period of time, being laid up and immobile (not being able to drive) and I feel like I'm going to go crazy.  I'm used to being active. My home health care worker saw immediately this morning and that's why she warned me to be patient.

Progress is being made folks.  One baby step at a time but I am going in the right direction.  Maybe someday I'll get off this subject of my leg injury and write about fun stuff like our trip to California this past January.  But for now, bear with me while I get back to normal.  

It's all good folks. At least I'm not in a wheelchair.


The Repaired Ron - standing!

16 comments:

  1. It's great to see you outside getting a breath of fresh air. That's what I did today, too. It was 60 degrees here in Daniel Boone country. Spring is only a few days away and it can't come soon enough. Hang in there Ron - your progress is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I bet your new surroundings are starting to morph into springtime beauty. Please take plenty of pictures and post them to your blog. I hope your back is better. Enjoy this fresh spring air!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    I would guess over this three month period you will see regular improvement and less and less immobility and confinement. Once those staples are out and the incision is healed you'll be working on movement and strength building of the repaired leg. You will be out to Physical Therapy and at some point you will be taking the brace off more and bending you knee into more normal positions. Just note each weeks progress and set some goals for the weeks ahead and don't get discouraged.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lar. That's what I'm hoping for, a gradual improvement and more mobility. I have to say this is probably the worst health situation in my life, even worse when I hsd that staph infection and was out of commission for six months when I was 17 years old. Even my dislocated knee only took six weeks out of my life. This situation is taking at least four months out of my life and almost total dependence on someone else. I'm ready for several years of no serious health issues. You know, just for the novelty of it.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Oh the intoxication of spring air and warmer weather! Doesn't this make the winter worth it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, that's the ONE thing I like about winter. Makes one appreciate the really nice weather. By the way, my daffodils are coming up. If my leg is working when they bloom, I'll post pictures of those glorious harbingers of Spring.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Randy in NEB.1:24 AM

    Hi Ron, I'm so glad you're making progress. You remind me of that Elton John song - I'm still standing. It's a good thing you didn't have a fall last year with Bloggerpalooza II. In the mean time just lay low and get better! Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      Yep, I'm still standing (thank God). Albeit a little wobbly and I do need my walker but at least I can get around upright and even go to the bathroom myself, with is a big accomplishment. I feel so sorry for those who are injured that can't even get upright and need total care. We are all just one fall away from that happening Randy. And you're right about the Bloggerpalooza it being a good thing it didn't happen this year. I'm afraid I would have had to cancel it because I just cannot get around. I'm looking at a long three months of recovery and all the activity that a Bloggerpalozza would entail would not work. Always good to hear from you Randy. Have a great day!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I gather your recovery depends on rest and light exercise. Not a regimen an active man accepts easily. Your home health care worker is your guide here and it sounds like you're cooperating. Good. All my best wishes and hopes for your continued progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      You are exactly right, my recovery depends on rest and light exercise, the emphasis on "light" at this time. My body tells me when it has had enough exercise. It also tells me when it is time to exercise and I've laid down enough.
      Oh yes, I am cooperating with my home health care workers. I want to get better as soon as I can. I can't wait until I can get the bottom portion of my lower left leg working again. When I am able to make the slightest little move, then I'll know for sure I'm on the road to recovery.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Progress, one day at a time, one step at a time, progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps, David. Baby steps.

      Delete
  7. Ron - you look positively energized. Completely in sync with spring. Love the shots of your house and yard!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I am so glad the nice weather has finally arrived. Even though I can only look at it through my windows, good to see the snow and ice gone. The very dangerous snow and ice. Maybe next year I can escape this danger.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,

    Hoping that nice spring weather continues in your neck of the woods. Winter can be so depressing, especially when one is injured. You are doing well taking one day at a time. Hopefully soon it will be nice enough that you will be able to spend more time outside resting and relaxing. One step at a time, I am sure those steps will quicken once you begin therapy. Keep smiling!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Such nice weather now. Sunny, breezy and mild (55 degrees) temperatures.Finally the snow and ice and zero degree temperatures are gone. I'm looking forward to getting out more and breathing in that fresh air.
      Ron

      Delete