Saturday, March 14, 2015

Sink Bath Day


Today was "sink bath" day.  I can no longer take showers, at least not for the foreseeable future anyway.  

I'm not a big fan of sink baths, or as we used to call them when I was in the Army, whore baths. Hey, what can I tell you? That's my frame of reference, crude as it may be.

So every third day I take a sink bath or as Pat jocularly likes to refer to them as "stink baths."  I try to bath before the stink sets in.  You know, that Old Man Musty Smell.  So far so good, I'm smelling fresh as a daisy.

Hey folks, the warm prune juice worked!  Thank goodness.  Three days without going to the bathroom . . . . I was getting so sluggish.  The prune juice kicked in about an hour after I took it.  A total of five visits to the bathroom to totally clean me out.  And I didn't have to use the portable commode once.  I just hobbled my way to my private meditation room (I have a toilet in its own special room which I LOVE).  I had nightmare visions of ending up like my roommate at the hospital who was going on SIX days without a bowel movement.  My God can you imagine?

So that's out of the way.  

I went to bed fairly early last night and slept very well.  I still can't lift my leg but I am managing getting in and out of my bed by myself without bothering Bill to life my left leg into bed.  I can even manage to put a pillow under my left leg when I'm in bed so it is somewhat elevated which gives me a great deal of relief.  Unlike right now when I'm typing this blog entry and my left leg is extended outright and very uncomfortable. 

I have some bills to pay on my computer but then I'm off this computer and back into my bed until lunchtime. 

My routine now consists rest and the limited physical therapy of walking around the house with my walker, which I'm getting pretty good at.  I can't tell if there is any difference in my leg other than some of the staples are starting it itch.  

Next week I have a follow-up appointment with my orthopedic surgeon.  I understand I won't start real physical therapy for another three weeks.  Can't come soon enough.  I really miss getting out and just taking Bill for a ride, which we often do. Not now though, my life has changed and all from one fall on the ice. How fast one's life can change.

Be well folks and I'm off here to pay some bills.


12 comments:

  1. It's good to know you're on the mend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjs8878,
      I'm on the road to recovery!! Can't wait until I have myobity back and have a normal life again. I just saw a report on TV about yhr Boston Marathon Zbombers and the people they injured, causing them to lose their legs. I feel so bad for those people.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Itching as long as there is not discoloration, sounds like progress. A couple of weeks will fly by and you will be back in the shower. Take care, DG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      That's what I thought about the itching. However I will be glad when those staples are out of my leg. Waiting for those weeks to fly by. The past month has already. Looking forward to taking a normal shower. I will be so appreciative to have my mobility back.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Simple things - like sink baths and prune juice - can yield amazing results. I know that things are extremely rough for you, but it's so good that you're on the road to recovery.

    I'm still having enormous back pain from my fall on the ice. The ice has finally melted, Ron (at least here in Tennessee). Spring is in the air. Hopefully our winter wounds will eventually be nothing more than a bitter memory.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I'm sorry to hear you're still having enormous back pain from your fall. Maybe you should see you doctor. Could be something serious.
      You're right that things are extremely rough for me now. I am just so thankful that I'm not alone because I wouldn't make it, I would have to go into a rehab facility and that would drive me crazy or at least to deep depression. I keep going over in my mind how avoidable this fall could have been but I also go over in my mind how lucky I was that my injury wasn't more serious, but his is serious enough. I'll tell you one thing, I'll be a LOT more careful when walking on ice and snow. In fact, I may not even be around when ice and snow are around next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    Indeed life can change in an instant and possibly never be the same again. We humans are good though at adapting to the changes and continue on with life. Just look at what you are able to do today that you weren't able to do yesterday. With your positive attitude you will conquer this and be back to normal. Just follow the lead of your body and rest, rest, rest.
    Glad the prune juice worked.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I'm listening very carefully to my body, very carefully. Getting some rest now, I've had a pretty active morning. Don't want to overdue it. Got to get better soon.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Looked at some videos on YouTube of dealing with your post-surgery situation. One guy was doing something that was a good idea and would probably help you. He had some resistance cords, as used in Physical Therapy (bungie cords would do). I use some of these in my therapy. Anyway, he would put the cords around his leg just above the ankle, almost like a sling, and then he could just pull up to lift his leg with ease to get in bed or to sit and then put pillows beneath the foot. You might want to consider this.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like s good idea Lar. That's one of the hardest things for me to do now, getting in and out of my high bed and putting that pillow beneath my foot. I cheated just now and asked a ill to life my leg. At night, when I get up three or four times to go to yhr bathroom, I have to struggle myself to get that leg up. Something I aleays took for granted that is now a major challenge. Thanks for the tip.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I know it's miserable, Ron. At least you are adapting to a degree. I, too, hate sink baths - basically face, pits, crotch and crack. Ugh. Hopefully they will let you shower again once the staples are out. They can't have you getting rusty on them, now!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You made me laugh with your four points of the basic sink bath. So true! I think once I get the staples out I will be able take a shower again. Little by little I get my life back. Of course the big he is being able to use my leg again. Ron

      Delete