Friday, March 20, 2015

Return to Los Angeles Postings

A barley hanging on Pat getting some sustenance at the Veggie Grill in West Hollywood


Okay folks, enough with my dreary and boring leg injury and recovery.  With this post we are returning to Ron and Pat's Fabulous Trip to Los Angeles, California.

This won't be a long post because it is still very uncomfortable for me to sit at my computer and upload videos and photos. But that could be a good thing too.  My condition forces me to be succinct.

The photo at the top of this post you'll see a very tired Pat. Whenever Pat and I get together in person, I wear out the little guy. Poor Pat, he tries to keep up with me but I just wear him down.  But to give him credit, he makes every attempt to keep up with me even though he's falling asleep and tends to get a bit grumpy.  After all, he's used to traveling solo and not with a high maintenance, all about me,  ego driven A-personality like yours truly.  

Pat had been to Los Angeles before.  He wanted to stay at the Historic Hollywood Hotel.  He said "It was fine for me."  But what is "fine for Pat" I suspect doesn't quite meet my fussy standards. So we stopped by for a look see.  As you can see from the outside, non too impressive.  But as Pat said, "Good location."  


The non too grand entrance of the Historic Hollywood Hotel
After being suitably unimpressed with the entrance, we went inside.  The hotel is undergoing renovations.  I would say they needed to renovate after some of the Trip Advisor reviews I read.


Pat (in white T-shirt and baseball cap) in the lobby of the Historic Hollywood Hotel
Well, the lobby looked alright but smelled a bit musty.  A bit of "Sunset Boulevard" musty so I guess that was appropriate.  I probably should have expected an aging Gloria Swanson to peek around the corner and proclaim "Mr. DeMille, I am ready for my closeup!"

The ghost of Norma Desmond lives in this hotel

After perusing the lobby a bit more we asked to see a room.  I didn't take a picture of the room because a hotel employee was with us and, frankly, the room was decrepit.  I was embarrassed for the hotel employee but he assured me the rooms "were being worked on."  I hope so because I wouldn't stay in that room we saw. I'm not that down and out . . . . . yet.


I don't remember what we did with the rest of the day.  I think we went back to where we were staying, The Hollywood Bed and Breakfast (notice the prolific use of the name "Hollywood", what's that all about?) for a bit of a rest.  

Later on I dragged Pat back to the Veggie Grill in West Hollywood, near where we were staying for our dinner.  Oh how we loved that place.  Somebody is onto something with that concept.  Fresh vegan options at a reasonable price in bright surroundings, which helped to keep Pat awake.


Pat waiting for me at the Veggie Grill, poor guy, head drooped over.  Maybe it's me. 
So what do you think folks?  Nice to get away from the gray and dreary subject of my leg injury isn't it?  Oh, I'll keep you posted but I do think it's time to make little baby steps transition back to normal life.

15 comments:

  1. Warm and sunny, on a day when it is cold and wet, very nice. I am fussy about hotels, It does not have to be a Hilton, but I don't do dumps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I don't consider myself fussy about hotels either and I have stayed in some very modest ones but like you, I don't do dumps and this one was according to Trip Advisor ("Don't stay here!") and from my personal observation. Pat doesn't mind but I do.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Hooray for Hollywood! It's good to see you resume posting about my favorite place. If memory serves me, the original historic Hollywood Hotel (near Highland and Orchid) was torn down in 1956. This new version isn't particularly historic at all. It's located near Universal Studios, isn't it? From the photos, the lobby doesn't look too impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I think you're right. I wasn't impressed with the hotel at all, even with the renovations. However, I really did like our bed and breakfast. First time I've ever stayed at one and I was very pleased.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Jon, this new one is near Paramount, not Universal Studios. It is not the hotel you are thinking of. This building was an apartment building originally, built in 1927.

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    As previously stated, that was not really the "Historic" Hollywood Hotel where movie stars and royalty once stayed, but a crass knock-off of the name. Probably the perfusion, by the way, of Hollywood this and Hollywood that is because you are in Hollywood. Around here every other thing is Brandywine this and Brandywine that.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      You are exactly right! The name "Hollywood" is used as frequently in Los Angeles, especially West Hollywood as often as "Brandywine" is used in the Delaware Valley from southern Chester County to New Castle County even down here in Sussex County (re Brandywine Assisted Living where Bob McCamley stayed with Jim). Some names just sell.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    Glad to see a post on your wonderful trip with Pat. I can be quite fussy about hotel rooms, but they don't need to be fancy. Worst hotel stay ever was at Circus Circus in Las Vegas, when my friend made the reservations I questioned her. Turned out I was right, needless to say that was the last trip I took with her! Turned out she was a gambler after telling me she wasn't, and I am not. Was so happy to fly back home after three horrible nights.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Please do tell me about your stay at Circus Circus. I thought that was a super duper fancy schmancy place to stay. What were the problems you encountered? You can send me an e-mail. I am very interested, beings that I am in the hotel business.
      Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron - I was just hoping to get a part in Walking Dead. Hey now you know i'm just a Canadian wus. I'll have to ramp up ahead of next years adventure so as to not slow you down. Great blog post - thanks.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You're such a good natured guy. Thanks for letting me tease you.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Pat isn't suffering from anything that a nice, juicy cut of steak couldn't solve! I maintain my opinion that a vegan diet is not very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tony,
      This may surprise you, but I tend to agree with you. I think a vegan or vegetarian diet is good for you but it doesn't hurt to intersperse a little meat every now and then. I like vegetables but I do need meat occasionally, usually beef stew or chicken. I don't do steak. I do like a good, well done, char-broiled hamburger too. I'll pass your suggestion on to Pat.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Does not surprise me much--I know that you like meat!

      Delete
    3. Tony,
      I do like meat but it has to be well done. No raw meat for me.
      Ron

      Delete