Monday, March 02, 2015

Relapse (Temporary)



Bill brining up food for me from our basement freezer - what would I do without Bill?

Late yesterday my flu symptoms (sneezing, aches, fatigue, congestion) came back with a vengeance.  

I had seven huge sneezes in the space of two minutes.  You know what that sneezing indicated don't you?  Your body trying to expel those germs (or virus) or whatever.  All I know was that I was feeling lousy again and I went back to bed after my first decent meal in two days, beef stew.  




The last two days I've eaten nothing but Campbell's and Progresso chicken soup.  I really feel the chicken soup consumption lessened my flu symptoms but man oh man, did they come back last night.

I didn't want to go to bed at 7 o'clock.  I wanted to watch a movie but wasn't in the mood for a bloody, revenge movie "Blue Ruin" (what I had on tap from my Netflix DVD) so I pulled up my saved DVR "Downton Abbey."  I needed some real escapist diversion.  I wasn't in the mood for guns and gore last night. I had no more "Judge Judy" and I wasn't in the mood for the plasticity of Patti Stanger and "Millionaire Matchmaker" (can only take so much of that Hollywood glitz and glamor phoniness of so-called millionaires).  

I had saved last season of "Downton Abbey" and was saving this season but to my dismay I saw that last season was gone.  I guess when my DVR saves a new season, the previous season is wiped out.  

So I watched it anyway, missing the whole of season four.  Guess what?  It only took me a few minutes to catch up that Lady Mary is involved in yet another pre wedlock affair, Thomas is still struggling with his homosexuality and still an unsympathetic character, Mr. Bates is still being hounded 

Les Misérables style, Daisy is still trying to better herself by book learning, Lord Grantham is still strutting around like a cock rooster and best of all, Dame Maggie Smith is still playing Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham. So many reasons to watch this wonderful show but Dame Maggie is the best.  I hear she probably won't be in next season (if there is) which is a shame because Dame Maggie "Weekend? What's a weekend"?" if Dame Maggie goes I fear there go the raison d'être for me watching this show.


Dame Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess on "Downton Abbey". Superb!

So where am I going with this post?  It was supposed to be all about my convalescing and I get diverted off to the very talented Dame Maggie Smith.

Well folks, I feel a lot better this morning.  My flu like symptoms seem to be gone (finally) now.  

This morning was Shower Day.  Every third day I take off my leg brace and take a shower, an exhausting challenge for sure (try it sometime when you injure your leg).  




I still can't bend my knee nor lift my lower leg but I was able to get in and out of the shower (one little step up in and same out) easier than I have before.  

Of course sitting here at my computer desk is still very uncomfortable with my left leg extended out so I'm going to end this little missive shortly.  

The photo at the top is Bill coming upstairs (he lives in our finished basement), bringing me food (frozen beef stew in individual boiling bags) last night.  I cannot go up or downstairs.  Thank goodness again I decided to live on one floor when I moved to Delaware, in anticipation of getting old and immobilized like I am now.

I feel like I'm rambling so I will end but not before reminding one and all I have my appointment tomorrow at 2:40 PM with my orthopedic surgeon.  He has the results of my MRI that I had taken last Monday.  I'll find out what the extent of the damage is to my left leg and how long it will take to heal.  I'm hoping no surgery will be necessary.  What a mess this has been.  Again, I cannot stress enough, be very careful when walking about outside in icy and unsafe conditions.  You could end up like me.



22 comments:

  1. Wow Ron - this last photo looks like a guy who might end with something broken. But terrific that you are feeling better - and really good that you finally have the doctor to discuss your situation. I hope it's just rest and some rehab. But whatever the case it'll be so good for you to have it on the mend as quickly as possible. Gardening season is almost here. Glad you enjoy Downton Abbey. Didn't quite work for me. But it's a great find when you have something that can take your mind to a different place. As you know I tend toward silly things like Bojack Horseman or action packed Jack Reacher material.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I have to admit that "Downton Abbey" is getting a bit redundant now but I still enjoy watching it. A pleasant diversion while I'm on the mend. I would watch one of my Netflix DVD rentals but they all seem too violent for the condition I'm in now. Each day my leg seems to be getting better but I'll be a lot more relaxed when I get the results of the MRI this afternoon. Thanks for your well wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    So sorry to hear of your relapse. It's disheartening when you feel better and get hit again even harder. This is the problem with the viruses today, they can become "super bugs" so quickly. When you go to the doctor tomorrow, try to touch as little as possible and if you have alcohol based hand cleaner use it often. Your immune system is compromised as it is, no sense starting all over again.
    Hoping you will have good news from the orthopedist. Please let us know when you are able.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I certainly did not need this "touch of the flu" on top of everything else I'm going through now. Tell you one thing, when I'm better I sure am going to appreciate my good health! I'm anxiously looking forward to my visit to the orthopedist this afternoon to see what I have to do now to get well. Most of my flu symptoms are gone, thank goodness. But I know they could come back like that.
      Thanks for your well wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Stay warm and take it easy. I couldn't get close to my car this morning, too much ice. It appears to have melted out, so my commute will be back to normal for a day or so, until the next storm. We are looking forward to hearing how the MRI turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I keep repeating this refrain but I'll say it again, be very careful walking on snow and ice because once you lose your mobility, you're done. Thank goodness I have Bill here to help me. Be careful out there.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Nothing scares me more than losing mobility. It was bad enough when I broke a wrist in 2003. I can't imagine not being able to do stairs (3 into my house, 13 upstairs to my "loft" and bedroom!)

    Anyway, heal quickly!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You have every reason to fear the loss of your mobility. I still can't do stairs. Hopefully I'll get some good news when I visit my orthopedist this afternoon. In the meantime, be very careful tiptoeing around outside in this weather. Disaster can lurk just around the corner like it did with me. One slip and you're out of commission.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Anxiously awaiting news tomorrow and hoping for the best. I have been talking with Stuart and it looks like they got him on the Doctor Merry-go-round now too. Glad your flu is subsiding.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      The worst of my cold/flu symptoms are gone. Still have some remnants but I know they can come back with a vengeance. And here I thought I was going to get through this winter without any problems, especially after my trip to L.A. Sorry to hear that Stuart is also on the Doctor Merry-Go-Round. I was going to give him a call. In fact I will.
      Thanks.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Hi Ron, Just when you think it couldn't get worse and it's going to get better life has a way to prove one wrong. I sure hope all your knee needs (wait is that redundant?), is a little rest and later on some physical therapy. Put your dreams of being an Olympic down hill skier on hold, the best of the year is yet to come. Randy in NEB.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      I never skied and I never will for this very reason. But I never thought I would have a knee injury just leaving work and making sure the doors were locked. You just never know when disaster lurks around the corner. Then to get the flu on top of everything else? Priceless.
      Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Sending healing warm wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fearsome Beard, I appreciate your good wishes. Stay safe and well.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I'm glad that you're eating and feeling at least a little better. And thank goodness Bill is there. I haven't missed one episode of Downton Abbey. There is going to be a sixth season - but I fear it will be the last. Good luck with the MRI results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Just finished watching the next to last episode of season five of "Downton Abbey." I've ordered season four from Netflix. I'll have plenty of time to watch it. Bad news from my orthopedics doctor today. The MRI shows that I tore two ligaments in my knee, that's my I can't life my lower leg. Surgery is scheduled for Friday. Six to eight week recovery. Of course I'm sick about it. I'm not brave.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Oh Ron, I'm so sorry to hear the bad news - - I'm not brave, either. The only positive aspect is that the 6-8 week recovery time will allow you to do lots of things - like read, write, blog, keep in touch with all your friends, and watch all those missed episodes of Downton Abbey.

      Delete
    3. Jon,
      I have to make the best of this situation. What is frustrating is that there are a lot of things I would like to do during the next weeks of recovery that I can't do. I like sitting at my computer but it is very uncomfortable for me with my left leg in a brace extended outward. But I will adjust. My best position is in my bed with my left leg perfectly horizontal. But I don't want to stay in bed all day. One of the worst things is I can't get out and drive. I will miss that. But I will manage. But I will catch up on Downton Abbey for sure and check out any other MPT offerings.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I look forward to hearing what the doctor had to say about your knee.
    I also hope that these flu symptoms are finished with you for good. Flu is nasty business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helen,
      Sorry to say, bad news from the doctor and the MRI. Surgery is scheduled for my knee this Friday. The ligaments are torn and have to be sown back together. Sounds awful and is awful. Six to eight weeks recovery. I'll write about it in tomorrow's blog.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. What a ride you are on. Time to get off the roller coaster and get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Yes, I'm having a string of bad luck but I always say "it could be worse."
      Ron

      Delete