Wednesday, March 04, 2015

Quadriceps Tendon Rupture



The news from my doctor wasn't good yesterday afternoon.  He informed me that my quadriceps in my left knee were torn (disconnected) when I fell three weeks ago (to this day).  That's why I can't lift my lower left leg.  The technical term is:

quadriceps tendon rupture 

See HERE

He has to connect (sew) them back together.  That means he has to drill holes in my knee for that repair. That means I need surgery.

Surgery is scheduled for this Friday.  It will be outpatient surgery. Six to eight weeks recovery. The doctor tells me I won't be able to punt a football anymore. But I should recover nicely with a combination of bed rest and physical therapy. 

You know, there is a good blogger friend of mind who occasionally complains of his "boring" life.  Well, my life is anything but boring.  I'll take boring any day to what I'm going through now.  

I'm not a brave fellow folks. I'm the first to admit it.  But I will get through this.  I think the worst of it will be the inactivity and not being able to drive.  The loss of my mobility. But I will adjust.  I've already adjusted. 

Now back to bed to put this leg horizontal and get some relief.   


12 comments:

  1. Speedy Recovery!!! Get Well Soon!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tommy.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    I am hoping you have minimal pain and recover more quickly than expected. While this is a set back for sure, you will be in fine shape before your next trip out to CA. Surgery is never fun, but sometimes it has to be done. I'm thankful you will be returning to the comforts of home following it, instead of a no rest evening and night in the hospital. You are so fortunate to have Bill to help you out while you recover. Healing wishes are being sent your way.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I am very fortunate to have Bill. But my situation is very hard on Bill, perhaps harder for him than me. I feel so bad.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the update, ouch! Take care, DG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, pretty serious injury, Ron!

    Good luck with rehab and convalescing.

    You should have asked the doctor if you would be able to play the violin (a la Henny Youngman.)

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      As I always say, could have been worse.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    I wish I hadn't read the info on your "situation" but I am wishing you minimal pain and recovery time. Before I read the info I assumed that the tear was better than an actual bone break, now not so sure. The cure is about the same.
    Again, minimal pain and recovery.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I wish I could say otherwise, but this is a pretty serious injury. And it happened so fast. I wish I could do that night over again.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron - you've been thru sooo much over the last couple of years. But I've learned that nothing keeps you down. Thank goodness for your positive attitude. Anxious to know how you make out Friday. Every ounce of my healing wishes are with you.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat for keeping me positive.
      Ron

      Delete