Thursday, March 12, 2015

Post Surgery

Ron humbled - on a walker

Surgery is over folks.  I had to spend the night at the hospital for pain monitoring.  Big baby girl that I am, the pain was a bit unbearable after the anesthesia wore off, as I was warned.  The first pain killer I took just about knocked me out with nausea so I had to take another pain killer.  I've been taking that one very four hours since and of course I haven't pooped, one of the lovely side "benefits" of taking pain killers.  But the pain is controlled.

If you want to know what is causing the pain checkout the photo below that I took when I cleaned my wound.  Yep, them there are staples in my leg.  Nice, huh?


My stapled leg (sorry for the gross out but I do like to share)
Oh the horror stories I could tell you while I was in the hospital.  Not about the care, it was fine but about my room.  When they took me to the third floor to a big, QUIET room by myself, I at first thought it was the
SAME room where The Cajun (Wayne) spent his last days.  "Oh no!" I thought.  Turns out it was a different room, but right across the hall from where Wayne was staying.

My surgery was at 1 in the afternoon.  They wheeled me to my room at 5 PM or so.  
All was fine until about 2:30 AM in the morning when the floor nurse advised me I was "getting a roommate."  Turns out an old guy like me (and a vet) tripped over (of all things) a wheelchair and broke his hip.  

Lights on, man screaming in pain, many people coming in interviewing him, man screaming in pain (did I say a man was screaming in pain?)  I felt so sorry for this man. I know he was in great pain and discomfort but a restful night of sleep with my painkillers was out of the question for me. 


I.GOT.NO.SLEEP.


But again, my situation was NOTHING compared to this man's awful and painful condition.  I felt so bad for him.  

Yesterday I was supposed to be released at 9 AM.  Bill and I left at 5 PM.  When I got home (on a walker and a portable commode - what was THAT all about? I don't NEED one of those), I was exhausted.  After getting settled and settling Bill (all this stress is very hard on him plus getting me in and out of the back seat of the car, now with a walker), I laid down on my bed, fully clothed at about 7:30 PM.  I didn't get up until this morning at about the same time.

This morning I had to change my dressing (with Bill' help), but that didn't work to well because I can't lift my leg and this is too stressful for Bill.  I called my doctor's office and they will send out a home health care worker every other day to change my dressing.  Helpless man here.  See how quickly one's life can change to one of helplessness from one fall?


Nurse Elena changing my dressing yesterday as I left the hospital


Of course it is still very uncomfortable for me to sit at this computer so I'm bringing this post to an end.  Actually, there is a silver lining here isn't there? No more rambling blog posts from Ron.  Short and succinct and to the point. There's always the good side to an bad situation isn't there?


I've been tagged a lot of things before but this is the first time I was tagged as a "Fall Risk." 





24 comments:

  1. Hurray! You're home! And no longer have to dread the surgery. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      Oh I was dreading surgery. So glad it's over and I'm on my way to recovery. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It is wonderful to hear from you, get well soon! I'd have been screaming to be moved to another room, I can't imaging moving in a screamer in the middle of the night. They should give you your money back.

    You know how you feel, but you look better then you did this time last week. A good sign!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      When my "roommate arrived in the middle of the night, total disruption. But I couldn't say anything, he was much worse shape than me. I'm sure I krpt him awake with my snoring. At least last night here at home I had a restful night, I needed that.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Good to see you on your feet and that someone else will be changing your dressing for you. Sleep always seems impossible while in the hospital, so I am pleased you slept so well last night. Take care using the walker and moving around, no falling!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I too am relieved that someone else will be changing my dressing. It is just too hard for me to do it being unable to lift my leg and it makes Bill nervous. Neither one of us are natural caregivers. By the way, I like the walker. I'm keeping it.👍😝
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    Staples! Oh, man, maybe they have improved those things. I hate to bring it up, but I had staples when I had my appendix out and it was torture when they took them out. They probably have made it easier by now. I hope so. That is an ugly looking knee. I think this is gonna leave a scar.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I hopethey have made it easier taking out the staples. Doesn't look too good now though. Leave a scar? Oh I think so Lar. There goes my leg modeling career.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Hey Ron - I'm going to have to copy my terrific pithy words of wisdom as sometimes when I publish everything just disappears. So that's what I'll do. I think what I said before was something like I hope Spo isn't disappointed you ended up peg legged with a parrot. And, also, you look quite elegant in that photo despite ripped pants. You are on the way back to health!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I know Dr. Spo is disappointed that I didn't end up with a peg leg but that's just the ways has to be. I know what you mean about leaving a nice pithy and clever commenthe that just disappears, that happened more than once very frustrating. I am leaving this comment by voice command on my iPad I hope it doesn't distort my accent too much. Thanks again for your support appreciate it. Ron

      Delete
  6. Wow! They opened you right up! My little scar is 3" long!

    I know it's a pain in the leg, Ron. Hopefully, with your spirit, you will heal and rehab quickly.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They sure did open me up didn't they Jay. Snd here I thought it was going to be two little drill holes in my knee, but as I've often said, could be worse. That's the only way I can look at a mishap like this.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Holy Smokes!!!

    Look at the size of that knee!!!

    If it was any bigger, we could write "GoodYear" on the side...lol!

    Hope rehab isn't too painful.

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The swelling has actually gone down somewhat Andy. Rehab shouldn't be painful, just difficult. Been through something similar back in 1962 when I dislocated my right knee. Just something I have to get through.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron, you're handling this better than I would. They'd hear me screaming in Chicago. I'm so glad the surgery is finally over. and I'm glad you're home from the hospital. Rehab won't be easy but I have no doubt you'll get through it like a trooper.

    Nurse Elena? Good thing they didn't send Nurse Ratched.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      You definitely don't want this to happen to you. Totally mobilizes you. I never realized how dependent I was on having BOTH of my legs working. Rehab will be long and tedious but I will get through it. Done this before, not as long though. I thought my dislocated knee (six weeks with a cast) was bad. This is much worse. At least I didn't break any bones. I always think "It could have been worse."
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I am so glad to hear you are home and "on the mend". I had staples like those in my chest when I had bypass surgery and had very little pain when they came out. The Doctor said, " Some will tickle, some will pinch, and some you won't feel at all" and he was right. I am sure you will recover much faster than you can imagine right now. All the best, Ken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ken,
      Good to hear that the Staples will be as painful coming out as they look now. And I sure do hope my recovery is much faster than I can imagine right now. Right now I just can't imagine it because I can't lift that lower left leg. That'll be the day when I can lift it does not feel I'm on my way to recovery. Thank you so much for your

      Delete
  10. You may be a fall risk, but what are you like in the spring? LOL. Glad it went well. Here's hoping for a quicker-than-anticipated recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      The weather finally turned decent. I would love to get outside and browse around in my backyard and start spring cleanup. Alas, it looks like I'm going to have to totally depend on Miguel, my landscaper this spring. I should be ready to go by June, the height of the good season. Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. Had to hurriedly scroll down the pics, Ron, otherwise would have flaked out. But relieved to hear you're home again. Now let's get the recuperating over with and start to LIVE once more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I don't blame you for hurriedly scrolling down the pics. I can hardly stand to look at my incision myself. I know if I saw this in a movie, I would look away. I am so relieved to be home again though and on the road to LIVING once more.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. Fall risk? That is a bit late eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still a fall risk Dr Spo, one of my great worries now. I fell in my bedroom after returning from the emergency room, took a chunk of wallboard out. Thankfully I didn't hurt myself. I have no use of my lower left leg. Hopefully the surgery will restore the use.
      Ron

      Delete