Monday, March 09, 2015

One More Day

Quadriceps


My knee surgery is scheduled for 11:15 AM tomorrow.  I just called to confirm the parking arrangements for letting me off at the hospital. Bill is getting stressed out.

Yesterday I overdid it with shopping and my leg was throbbing.  I slept late this morning, not waking up until a friend texted me at 9:26 AM asking me if I was up.  Bill was upset that I didn't let him know I was sleeping late.  See a Catch-22 here?  How can I let him know I'm sleeping late if I'm sleeping? 

After I woke up I just laid in bed, enjoying a few pain free minutes, checking my e-mails on my iPhone. Then Bill poked his head in the door, furious that I didn't let him know I was up.  

We just had a talk.  The protocol has changed.  I ask him to check in on me at anytime.  I don't mind being awakened.  I will also phone him as soon as I get up.  

This whole leg injury thing hasn't been easy folks.  Our whole lives have been disrupted by one mound of frozen ice at the bottom of a drain pipe that I stepped on in the dark and tore ruptured my quadricep ligaments in my left leg.  Tomorrow they get sewn back together.  Hopefully they will heal and I won't be permanently disabled the rest of my life.



I'll be honest with you folks, this past month (I fell February 18th, the day after The Cajun died) has not been easy.  In fact this has been one of the worst six months of my life with the deaths of my friends Bob Mc. (Sept), Ed C. (January) and then The Cajun). 
Their passing wasn't made any easier by the fact that Bob didn't know me, Ed was distant and The Cajun was angry at me; all at the time of their passing.  Life isn't always like it is in the movies folks.

So enough self-pity here.  This time tomorrow I'm "be under".  That's something else I'm not looking forward too folks, going under.  I've lost count of the times I've been under anesthesia the past few years.  Being knocked out and flying planes never used to bother me before, they do now.  Hopefully I don't do a "Joan Rivers" tomorrow.  But if I do my troubles will be all over won't they?

Now for the countdown and the road to recovery. I just want to be able to lift my left leg again and get my life back.




23 comments:

  1. You are going to be so relieved when this surgery is finally over and you can immerse yourself in the luxury of recovery. I know that in the future you and I will respect those innocent-looking patches of ice that have such devious intention (it's been two weeks since I fell and I still can hardly walk).

    This winter has been an especially gloomy one for you. You'll feel much better when you return to that wonderful California sunshine! I'll be thinking of you tomorrow Ron and wishing you well, as will all of your blogger friends. We will be eagerly anticipating your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Thank you for your words of encouragement. I hate to be a whiner, but you know me, I'm not going to write a blog about other than how I feel at the moment. This leg injury has gone on way too long. I am amazed at how much my life has changed from one leg injury. Thank God for Bill, he has been so helpful but this is very difficult for him. As he has gotten older he has a hard time with anything that varies from routine. My goal is to comfort and protect him during his older (he's 86 ow) years. This past month has been a test.
      I am sorry to hear you're still in pain from your fall. Thank goodness you weren't immobilized.
      I'm telling you, I am so tempted to spend the winter months somewhere in the sunshine, be it California or even Florida. I am so sick of winter in Delaware, especially January and February which are just lost months and very dangerous. And this winter proves that.
      Tomorrow at this time I'll either be on the mend of out of here, either way it's good the way I feel now.
      Thanks again Jon for your words of support. I very much appreciate them.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Wishing you all the best from Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. I am so looking forward to writing upbeat blog postings. This leg thing has gone on way too long.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    You will come through great tomorrow and finally be on the road to recovery! Bill has been such a help to you these past weeks, I am sorry he's had such a difficult time along the way. Remember not to over do as you recover. I will be thinking about you tomorrow.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      My accident and injury has put a lot on Bill. He has to do almost everything. He has been an angel about everything but sometimes, it just gets to him. The pressure is too much. I can understand that. It wasn't supposed to work this way. I was supposed to be taking care of him. He's alright now. And tomorrow will be better after this operation and I can begin to recover.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I know you are anxious, I was, too. It'll be over before you know it, thankfully!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I am anxious. I've had too many procedures these past few years. It's getting old. I need a stretch of a few months free and clear. Looking forward to tomorrow at this time when I can begin to recover and get back to a normal life.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:47 PM

    Hi Ron,

    I want to wish you luck tomorrow. Before you know it, the surgery will be over and you will be on the road to recovery. Bill is a wonderful person & very concerned about you. I can tell this by what you say about him. Physical therapy for an injury like this is quite a pain but very necessary. Take care of yourself Ron and let us know when you can how everything went.

    Best regards,
    Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. Bill is a wonderful person and has devoted his life to me. But my present situation is very burdensome for him. Hopefully this will all change tomorrow after my surgery and I can begin recuperation and back to a normal routine.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,
    The magical thing about "going under" is that you are actually "away" for the time you are under, no pain and no memory. The anesthesiologist will take good care of you. The surgeon will do the rest.
    You said this is out patient, are they going to keep you overnight and discharge you before 10AM ? That's what they did to me when I had a double hernia repaired a few years back.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      In a way I look forward to going under. I feel no pain or stress. I am not afraid of what happens when we die (which I am pretty sure is nothing, a total void - so much for angels with harps in white robes in the clouds). It is the before, the anxiety and the worry over what will happen to Bill. I can hardly stand that thought.
      I am an outpatient tomorrow and I'm pretty sure I will be discharged sometime in the afternoon. I doubt if I'll stay in the hospital. This time tomorrow the anesthesia will be wearing off and I'll be faced with taking pain killers (Percocet) of toughing it out. Then, hopefully, the next few days I can be on my way to healing from this freak accident.
      Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I'm sure the Hotel misses you ....... The season is right around the corner. :-) Everything will be A-Ok tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roger,
      And I miss the hotel too! I didn't think quite this much but I really do. I love my part-time job at the hotel. This couch potato status doesn't suit me. I'll always have to work, even if it is a part-time job.
      Thanks for your good wishes.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Relax, it will all be okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David and be careful walking on ice. You don't want this to happen to you.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Wishing you a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjs8878,
      Couple of hours until surgery today. Then I'm on my road to recovery. Long time coming.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Keeping fingers crossed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gee, Ron, you look pretty buff in that first photo (although you should really put some clothes on!)

    Best wishes for your surgery and rehab.

    :-)

    -Andy


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      I wish. Surprise, that isn't a photo of me (smile). Thanks for your good wishes. Surgery today.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. A peg leg is the panacea of all ills.

    ReplyDelete