Monday, March 16, 2015

New Routine

My bedroom, where I spend most of my days now

I'm settling into a new routine while my leg heals. I would love to start posting again about my trip to California this past January, which seems so long ago now.  But I'm just not in the mood for that frivolity and lightheartedness yet.  I hope you can all forgive me.

My new routine consists of a combination of moving around our house here on my walker (my new "friend") and bed rest with my leg elevated.  

My "friend" and lifesaver, The Walker


Every other day I take a sink bath.  This morning was Sink Bath Day.  I have to tell you that I'm managing quite well shampooing my head in the sink, something I don't think I ever did before in my life.  

Yesterday Bill and I cleaned my wound and changed the dressing.  Tomorrow the home health care worker cleans my would and changes the dressing.  She also will do that this Thursday and the following week.  Bill and I do it on Sunday.

After I take one of these sink baths, I am exhausted and I have to lie down on my bed for at least an hour. I usually just lie there or call a friend on FaceTime (which I did this morning) to talk (not be alone) and gather my strength back.

 Today the weather is mild outside.  I saw a couple of sparrows checking out my turned over bird baths.  I asked Bill to set up the bird baths.  This is a springtime chore I usually would do if I didn't have this bum leg.

Last night I watched three episodes of "Downton Abbey."  Oh how I love that show.  So peaceful and relaxing watching all that class drama.  Just what I need at this time of my life, at this time of my convalescence. I have other Netflix DVD's but they contain violence and I am definitely not in the mood for any more violence especially after the violence done to my leg from the fall and subsequent operation. I don't need to see any more limbs damaged.

Yesterday I took advantage of Panera Bread's Rapid Pickup. 




I have an app on my phone which I can place an order with Panera Bread and just stop by and pick up the bagged order.  Of course I couldn't go out myself so Bill went out and picked it up.  I need a lot of protein now for my surgery to heal properly (and fast). This broth bowl of free range chicken, lentils, quinoa and miso broth, kale and other veggie goodies. 

Panera broth bowl as advertised - delicious!!!!!!!
By the way, Panera Bread is AS ADVERTISED.
The broth bowl looked just like the ad and was very easy to order.  I just ordered it with my iPhone app, paid for it and Bill picked it up on a shelf at Panera Bread.  Didn't have to talk to one human being. Some businesses just know how to operate and Panera Bread is one of them.  My body said "Thank you! Thank you!" after eating this delicious broth bowl.

I normally would make something like this myself but it is such an effort for me too cook in the kitchen now.  My leg needs exercise but just "walking" from my bedroom to my bathroom and kitchen is more than enough. And I could never make this dish for the $8.69 that it costs. In fact, I'm getting hungry just talking about it.  I'm going to order more today, in fact I think I'll order two of the broth bowls and just put them in the refrigerator and heat them up for dinner tonight and tomorrow night.

I won't be getting out of the house until Wednesday when I have my appointment with my orthopedic surgeon doctor. My staples are starting to itch. And I would love to bend my left leg, just once.

Time to catch up on a couple of my favorite bloggers then lunch then my daily afternoon nap.

I'm still here folks, coping.  One day, I will be back to normal.  And oh will that ever be a happy day for me.  I have a new appreciate for normalcy and life in general.

16 comments:

  1. That panera broth bowl looks so good that it could almost make me forget that I hate lentils. I'll look forward to reading more of your California stories, Ron, but for now I'm enjoying hearing about your recovery - and especially your progress.

    Actually, it was your trip to California that inspired me to start writing about my Hollywood adventures again. You had me yearning for my tainted past.

    I accidentally broke my desk lamp today and can hardly see what I'm writing, so I'll keep this brief. I'm using another lamp with a 25 w bulb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      That Panera Bread broth bowl is as good if not better than it looks. And only $.69 with fresh bread. Super!
      I do hope you make plans to revisit California Jon. It would be such an adventure to have you as our tour guide.
      Sorry to hear that you broke your desk lamp. I need lots of light to write. In fact, I don't even like to use my computer at night, I prefer the daytime when the light is streaming in the window. And I still have my fluorescent desk light on. Hope you find a replacement light soon.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. The spring weather i'm sure will help speed along getting back to your normal routine! 😎

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to get outside the house Roger. I've been housebound since the surgery last week. Maybe tomorrow.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I note that you are calling this the new routine and not the new normal. Lunch looks good, and having the order ready to pick up makes it much easier for Bill, I am always afraid I will get the order wrong, but pick up is easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I need good nutrition and plenty of protein to speed up the healing process. Panera Bread has this great business model called "Rapid Pickup" and it really does work! I'm always surprised when business becomes efficient because it is so rare.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I know this is unmitigated misery, Ron. But at least you are following directions, and taking care of yourself - that will mean a quicker recovery and rehab!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      You got that "unmitigated misery" part right, this is. But then k think of his many people who have it much worse than I do and I sm thankful. This too shall end, one way or another. Thank you Jay for your supportive comments. I appreciate your kindness.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Your meal looks wonderful! I love Panera, but sadly we don't have one here in Sonoma. How great you can take care of the order and then Bill only needs to pick it up.

    Sounds like you are healing with the itching. Glad you have this new routine down for now, it will improve with time.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      When Panera opened here last year there was much happiness. It's always very crowded which is a sure sign of a good business. I sm so glad I can order exactly what I want and Bill doesn't have to worry about getting the wrong thing.
      Itching is a good sign of healing. Oh I can't wait until I get my life back again.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I'm sure you're making progress every day. You'll be back to 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. rjjs,
      Tomorrow will be one week since my surgery. My leg doesn't feel any different but I'm told the healing will take awhile (three months). Each week that goes by is one week closer to normalcy. But I am adapting quite well to my new routine but I do miss the freedom of getting in my car and driving to the store, when k can do that then I know I will have made progress.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Yes, it's strange and also a bit sad when 'normality' is all that what one yearns for, as though it's the height of aspiration, but I most certainly do know the feeling. Never mind, just look forward to when you'll be dancing jigs and reels again - and let's all hope it happens sooner than you think. May it come on speedily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      My greatest wish, just to be able up walk around on my own two feet. To have that freedom of mobility. Each day I gry closer to realizing that dream, hopefully.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I would use this malady of yours to order out all the tasty comfort foods you wish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds think alike! That is exactly what I am doing. It is such an effort to put together a meal so I'm ordering out and only the tasty stuff. I need my protein. Smoothies aren't bad either. :)

      Delete