Friday, March 27, 2015

Moonwalking on Hollywood Boulevard



Back to Ron and Pat's Excellent Adventure in Los Angeles, La La Land. 

Pat and I continue our walk on Hollywood Boulevard, enjoying the sights and sounds of the Friday night life.  We encountered this demonstration of moonwalking on the Walk of Fame.

When I visited Pat in Toronto last August, by lucky coincidence it was the time of the Canadian National Exhibition.  Another "street fair" which I have yet to post videos of (and I will).  I did post a video or two of "India Night" which occurred just a few blocks down the street from where Pat lives in Toronto.

I have to say we thoroughly enjoyed our little jaunt on Hollywood Boulevard. 


Pat and I in front of the Pantages Theater
We were just like little kids.  Hey, it doesn't take too much to impress us.  We may be old and gray but we're not jaded.


Another selfie of me and Pat in front of "La La Land" of which I have no idea what it is.  
When I discovered that Pat would be my traveling companion I was ecstatic.  Finally, after all these years, someone who enjoys the same things I do.  Who isn't out looking for a trick (as previous traveling companions have done, the tales I could tell).  Someone who is happy to be with me and who is nonjudgmental, non-complaining, and just a nice guy.  The only thing is that I tend to wear Pat out because I go, go, go.  Not so much these days with my bum leg but when I got both of my legs going . . . . watch out.

Talking about getting both of my legs going, we decided to take the bus for the rest of the way back to the bed and breakfast where we were staying.  We wanted to try the much vaunted public Los Angels public transportation.

I have to say we weren't disappointed at all. The bus came by in about ten minutes.  While we waited we were talking to a young man (homeless) who was in L A looking for his acting break (hadn't found it yet).  I didn't want to embarrass him by taking a video of him telling us his story.  But it was an interesting story nonetheless. Just one more heartbreaking story of an individual seeking fame and fortune in this vibrant, beautiful, tawdry, hopeful and hopeless City of Angels.

By the way, Los Angeles just became the fourth city in which a stranger asked us if we were brothers.  This was twice in Los Angeles.  Once at the bus stop with the homeless young man wanna be actor and once at the Griffith Observatory.  We were first asked if we were brothers when we were paying our bill at Nectar in Lewes, DE.  

In November of 2013 when we were staying at the Latham Hotel in Philadelphia we were asked again.  And last year, walking down the street in Toronto, one of Pat's neighbors asked if I was his brother.  Well, I can say that Pat is my "brother" by a different mother. We have so much in common, it's uncanny.  I've always heard it said we have a double in the world, I think I met mine in Pat.

11 comments:

  1. Ron - it's funny being as warm as it was there and now here we are just getting thru winter. It all seems quite a while ago but it was only last Jan. What a great walk about that was. Hey maybe we could try busking on Hollywood Blvd.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't we have a grand time though Pat. And n ice to slip on in LA even though it was January. I'm telling you, living on the East Voadt in winter, if the flu doesn't get you the snow and ice will. I'm proof of it.😳

      Delete
  2. Takes me back to my brief stay there, La La Land is a wonderful junk store. The hotel I stayed in was in that areas. Maybe when you are back you will be slower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Definitely, we will spend more time exploring the many attractions of Hollywood Boulevard. We spent very little time there, only an hou or so that one Friday night.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    I'm disappointed in your false advertising. I thought it was going to be you moonwalking on Sunset.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Now I didn't say it was me moonwalking did I? Actually I tried to moonwalk at Oil Can Harry's Disco Night and fell flat on my back. Unfortunately Pat's battery was out on his iPhone and he missed this You Tube moment.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I played the first video twice, Ron, but I'll be blowed (with a bit of luck!) if I can see any 'moonwalking'.

    Btw: Are you able to post any pics of Pat in his younger days? - if he'll let you, that is. He's one of those people whose smile is like sunshine, transforming and lighting up his entire visage. I bet in his more 'socially active' days he was especially popular for that winning feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      If you look closely one of the black guys did about two seconds of a moonwalk. I suspect they wanted money if I was going to record their dancing. That was the vibe I was getting.
      Yes, I do have pictures of Pat in his younger days. However, I don't think I have any of them scanned. Of course Pat was very handsome in his youth but he looks a lot different now. Ironically, even though he was very good-looking in his youth, he wasn't my "type." I find him very attractive as an "older man" now. I guess it's his goodness of spirit that comes through plus he is in excellent physical shape. All that yoga.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Pity - 'bout Pat's photos, I mean. But his good looks still shine through.

      Played the 'moonwalk' video yet another time - and I can just about see what you mean. If you hadn't said it I probably wouldn't have had a clue what he was trying to do.

      Delete
  5. Anonymous3:38 AM

    One of my best friends looks a lot like me. However, he is younger by several years. We get pegged as brothers all the time, but he always gets called the "older" one! Kills me every time. He doesn't find it quite so funny (LOL). On a side note, my real life brother and I never get picked for brothers; we don't look or sound alike. Glad you're feeling better. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Me and my brothers look nothing alike. In fact we've often been asked "Are you really brothers?" However, my youngest brother and I hdve almost identical voices, so much do that on occasion when I've called his wife on the phone she thought I was her husband. Of course I've tried more than once to fool her. By the way, Pat is younger than me by six years,
      Ron

      Delete