Saturday, March 07, 2015

I'm No Couch Potato

Joan Crawford, in her gauzy camera filter best, in the deathbed scene with her lover Gene Raymond ("Sadie McKee")

One thing I am discovering during my involuntary idleness of the past month since my leg injury, is that I am not a couch potato.  I just cannot sit in front of the boob tube and watch TV.  I have to be doing something.  The only time I do just sit in front of my 60 inch TV is when I watch one of my Netflix rental movies on the weekends.  Otherwise, when I have the TV on, I use it as wallpaper.  Background noise. Company.

I usually have five Netflix rentals out at a time.  Unfortunately, all the rentals I have now have some kind of violence ("Blue Ruin" one of them) in the story and folks, I'm just not into watching blood and guts right now.  I should send the DVD's back and get season four of "Downton Abbey" which I missed.  Yes, I know I've already watched season five since I've been home but with a show like "Downton Abbey", a soap opera, one can pick up the story line within minutes without missing a beat.

I would love to sit at my computer all day and catch up on my e-mails, sort my iPhotos, and update my Find a Grave account and reading blogs.  But it is so uncomfortable for me to sit at this computer desk so I have to make quick work of my blog entry, like now.

What I have been watching at night are old Joan Crawford movies.  God are they ever awful but you know what?  They're still entertaining.  The photo above is from her tear jerker "Sadie McKee", which I had never seen before.  Granted, it's not "Dark Victory" but I did get choked up once . . . . or twice. And I do love that gauzy camera filter that was Joan's speciality.  I tried watching Joan in "Susan and God" last night, but comedy isn't her speciality.  Maybe I'll take in a Claude Rains movie tonight.  I'm still not in a "Pulp Fiction" mood for movie watching.

One thing I'm getting used to after almost a month is adjusting to my life wearing a leg brace.  At first Bill had to lift my leg in and out of the bed.  I would have to call him on my iPhone each time I had to get in and out of bed, like in the middle of the night to take a pee.  God bless Bill, he would always come upstairs (his bedroom is in the basement) and help me.  But one night I had to get up five times.  I finally figured out a way to swing my leg in and out of the bed.

Getting ready to put my leg brace back on after my daily shower


Another big challenge I had is taking a shower.  Everyday, up to the day of my surgery this Tuesday, I have to take a shower with anti-bacterial soap and a special solution to minimize the risk of infection from my surgery.  Taking off my pants and underwear, not being able to life my left leg, is a challenge folks, believe you me.  And that little metal ridge to get in and out of the shower?  Another challenge.

A major challenge, getting my pants on without lifting my left leg - I drag the pants under the foot then pull up with my hands

Showers used to take me ten minutes at the most.  Now the whole shower routine takes at least 45 minutes and when I'm done I am exhausted.  I have to rest at least an hour to gather my strength back. 

The challenge of getting my pants on
I am so looking forward to Tuesday when I have my surgery to repair my leg and I can start healing.  This has gone on way too long. If there was anything good that has come from this experience it is that I will be so appreciative in the future of being able to get around on two legs.  To have my mobility and freedom.  And to think all this happened in a few seconds because I slipped on ice.  Oh how I wish I could do that night over again.  But I am thankful I wasn't more seriously injured and still alive.  Could have been a lot worse.

By the way, I just got off of FaceTime with my longtime friend Bill B. (another former school classmate - love those class reunions that's how we renewed our friendship). He suggested that I watch "The Big Bang Theory" for some light entertainment.  Sure does sound better than that the violent DVD's I have now in my bedroom.  I'm sending them back.  Time for some light entertainment at the Tipton Cinema.  I've had enough violence in my life for some time, especially after Tuesday's surgery.




27 comments:

  1. Ron,
    When you think about it it's amazing how you eventually learn to overcome obstacles and become more independent when you are incapacitated. This is just a suggestion but when you are at home and have no appointments scheduled, try wearing shorts or lounging shorts which are just roomier and longer boxer shorts. They might be easier to get in and out of than longer form fitting pants. The shower is probably going to be what it is, a chore. A friend of mine suggested that I get a shower chair. Not that I have mobility issues it is just a safety measure. You know us older folks have a tendency to fall anyway and there's nothing worse that falling in the shower. I had never thought of that but it makes sense. I will eventually get a shower chair, just don't think of it while I am out and about.
    Anyway, hang in there, all will be well soon.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      We quickly adapt to our limitations don't we? I have a "bench" in my shower already. It is a tiled bench. So far I haven't had to use it but I had it built in when I had the house built in anticipation that someday I may need it. Right now I can't bend my left leg so a bench wouldn't be of any use. By the way, you could get one of those teak wood benches at B.J.'s. They would probably be good for showers since they're water proof.
      I've often thought about falling in the shower, especially now that I'm doing the one-legged shower. It doesn't get any easier does it Jack as we get older?
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Love those campy Joan Crawford movies! She's my 7th cousin too. 8-)

    Hope all goes well on Tuesday.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise,
      I love those campy Joan Crawford movies too. But not the comedies. She does comedy about as well as Bette Davis did. They are both at their best as drama queens.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Ah, yes, brings back memories of the other year when my knee was swollen up and in great pain and I couldn't bend my left leg. Yes, I had to sort of lasso my left toes, then gradually try and inch my underwear and pants up. It was so bad for a while I had to get Lo to put my socks on and tie my shoes. You really appreciate the parts of your body when they fail. But hang in there, rescue is coming.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I'm in the same predicament now, I can't bend my left leg. I'm in pain but not a great deal. It's just very uncomfortable. I wish I could take an aspirin but I can't take any until after my surgery on Tuesday. Tuesday can' come soon enough. You're right, you really appreciate the parts of your body when they began to fail. I just hope I can turn the corner Tuesday with this surgery or just not wake up. I wouldn't want to live the rest of my life like this.
      But I guess I could adapt. Can't drive though which makes a big difference. I would hate to see assisted living in my future. Might as well die.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    And oh, by the way, how did you get your socks on? Or did you shower without taking them off?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Getting the socks on is a challenge too. I inch them on just like you described that you did for yourself when your arthritis. Right now my left leg hurts from being swollen. Only a few more days left for this torture.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    I love Big Bang Theory since my nephew made me watch countless episodes two years ago at Christmas, now I never miss it. I bet you will enjoy it as well. I hope you find other things to occupy your time while you heal. Now when I am out working in my yard doing my spring clean up (with my cell phone) I think about how much you would enjoy doing something like this. That makes the long project more fun. I hope to be finished within two weeks, would be sooner but my yard cans are almost full and won't be picked up until Thursday. I would say I am looking forward to planting, but again this year it will only be produce most likely. I miss my annual flowers, darn this drought!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      One good thing about living on the Delaware coast, we don't usually have a drought problem. Sometimes in the middle of the summer, the farmers have a problem but most of us homeowners have our own wells for lawn irrigation. He have to pay for house water we use in the house which comes from a different source than our well water. I am so looking forward to my leg being normal again so I can work outside in the backyard. Also, I am dying to get on my hands and knees and clean my tiled kitchen floor as well as my bathroom floors. I even get on my hands and knees to clean the wood floor in the living room. The bedrooms are all wall to wall carpet. Oh for life to get back to normal. Hopefully after my operation next week. But for now I sit here with a swollen, hot, fat leg. This has been going on too long.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron,

      I still clean my bathroom floors on my hands and knees because they are small, but for the rest of the house I use my Shark steam mop, well not in the rooms with carpet. The wonderful thing about the steam mop is no smells of cleaning material. My plan for the future is to remove all the carpet and have hardwood through out the house. Wish I had thought of that when I went through the remodel! Everything else I need to clean is flat surface. At least I figured that out.

      Cindy from Sonoma

      Delete
    3. Cindy,
      I clean all my floors, tile and wood, on my knees. I do have knee pads though that I use. I understand that over time one can cause damage to one's knees with all that crawling around the floor on your knees. It's ironic but I'm so careful with my knees and walking and then something stupid like this fall on the ice happens. So unnecessary, I'm just thankful I didn't do more damage or ended up laying in that cold alley all night until someone found me in the morning.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. My mother introduced me to Big Bang Theory. She has spent most of the past five years with very limited mobility. I think the funniest episode is when they try to figure out a fix for the space shuttle toilet - the testing scene is classic slapstick. We have a remarkable ability to accommodate. It will be easier when you are able to bend the knee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I hear nothing but good about the "Big Bang Theory." It's going into my Netflix queue now. Oh I am so looking forward to being able to bend my knee. Sometimes I think I'm going crazy not being able to bend my knee.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Hey Ron - all types of good info on the blog today. I've seen a couple of episodes of the Big Bang Theory and enjoyed them. i would sometimes hear people at work talking positively about it too. I get out to the movies and see some current films strictly for escapism. Nothing to recommend except the documentary "The Wrecking Crew". I'm not all that familiar with Joan Crawford movies, but like you, I really enjoy Film Noire. Have you watched anything lately on Turner Classics. Something about the sets dialogue and simplicity of those early movies seems to be more calming that a lot of contemporary ones. Not to dismiss the great talent out there now. Hope you are comfortably distracted until your operation on Tues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I'm just getting through another weekend with this leg injury. This is getting so old, I'll be so glad when I'm on the road to recovery. Thank God I have Bill here or else I would really be in trouble. I'm going to send my violent Netflix DVD's back and exchange them for some harmless, escapism entertainment. I don't need to see any more violence after the violence done to my leg.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I know this sucks! I hope Tuesday gets here quickly and the surgery goes well. I get the whole sitting around thing, and the pain in the a$$ that everything routine is now.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      This time tomorrow, I'll be "on the table" and hopefully on my way to healing and recovery. This past month hasn't been easy. In fact, it's one of the worst of my life. I'm so glad I went to L.A. at the beginning of January. At least this winter wasn't a total loss.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. I started watching "The Big Bang Theory" about 6 months ago, and find it LOL hilarious. You can also find fairly lengthy compilations of out-takes on YouTube that are fun to watch - something for after you can bear to sit at your computer again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      You have confirmed what some of my other friends have, "The Big Bang Theory" is a show I want to watch. I need some light entertainment at this time, no violence and ugliness. I've had enough of that for the past few months. Just nice things now.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Anonymous9:34 PM

    Hi, Ron. Glad to hear you are complying with the pre-surg instructions. Very important to reduce the number of all those bugs that live on us and normally don't bother us, except when we have to get surgery.

    Once when I had very little use of my legs and also didn't have cable, I learned to borrow extensively from the library's movie collection (you haven't lived until you've seen Joan in Torch Song), and how to knit a scarf (thanks to a Martha Stewart Living article). My partner still uses and cherishes that scarf to this day, I'm somewhat proud to say. There are usually beginner kits for most needle craft even at Wal-Mart, so you might consider that. I have known many a macho-macho-man that used needle craft to relieve stress and/or express creativity. Consider Dr. Spo and SassyBear.

    Otherwise, I suggest reading. Call your local library up and let them know your situation and interests, and they will probably have things ready for Bill to go check out for you.

    Best of luck getting through this last pre-surg weekend, and I hope you know that there are cyber and real friends out there that can't wait for you to get back on your feet (*ahem*) and to your old self. I will be thinking about you frequently Tuesday. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      I'm showing regularly every morning with the anti-bacterial soap. In fact, I think I'll continue to bath with the anti-bacterial soap even after my surgery.
      Thanks for your suggestion to take up a hobby like sewing. Actually, I used to do quite a bit of crewel work and counted cross sitter when I lived in Philadelphia during the 70's and 80's. However, once we moved out to the country I didn't have time to do any of that very relaxing pastime. But I do have quite a few of my finished projects hanging in prominent positions in our house. I always meant to get back to doing counted cross stitch but since I've been blogging and the Internet, I just don't have the time. I never did learn how to knit though and probably won't. But I do know of the relaxing benefits of such past-times.
      I love to read and I have plenty of books here at Casa Tipton-Kelly. Reading has always been one of my favorite, relaxing past-times. My secret treasure.
      Thank you for your good wishes. One more day, this time tomorrow I'll be under the knife and hopefully on the way to healing and recovery and back to my normal life. I'll be honest, this stress is getting to both of us, especially Bill and I hate to put him through this. Poor Bill, I was supposed to be the one who was his caregiver but instead our roles have been reversed.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. Best not to wear trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Oh I'm sure the trousers will be off for tomorrow's surgery and I'll have on one of those open backed, little print patterned hospital gowns. Been there done that too many times the past couple of years. Here we go again.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. 'Blue Ruin' is not exactly a 'fun' film to watch; nonetheless I thought highly of it. But there you are - one man's meat.....etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I watched "After the Wedding" last night per your review. I enjoyed it. However, I had to return "Blue Ruin" without watching it. I'll wait until my leg injury is healed before I watch one of these blood soaked revenge movies, just not in the mood for that kind of entertainment now.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Don't know this 'After the Wedding', Ron. I imagine you meant to type another title ('Love is Strange'?). But right now you've got other things on your mind. My thoughts are with you.

      Delete