Friday, March 13, 2015

Home Health Care

Lots of paperwork from Home Health Care

Home Health Care came by this morning.

They came by to show me how to clean and dress my wound from surgery.  

I am so relieved.  Having home health care is a much better option than staying in the hospital, where as you know one gets NO rest.  Also, the hospital is full of germs.  Plus, I'm in my own home which is way more conducive to recovery (familiar surroundings,etc) than a hospital.  Generally I'm very pleased with the hospital that is caring for me but believe me, I'll opt for home health care.  MY only other option is to go to a rehab center and I definitely don't want to go to one of those.  My neighbor, who had hip replacement, spent some time in a rehab center but signed herself out and went home.  

"Kaitlyn", the young lady from Home Health Services, came by this morning and spent about two and a half hours with me and Bill.  



 She showed me how to clean my wound, which is to be done every other day. I took some short videos, for me and Bill to look at, because we will have to clean my wound this Sunday and wrap it up. Kaitlyn said someone from Home Health Services will be by next Tuesday and Thursday and the following Tuesday and Thursday to clean and dress my wound. While she was cleaning my wound this morning she counted the number of staples I have in my incision.  How many do you think?  I can't stand to look at them but she counted them and said I had twenty five staples.  Nice job Ron.


Preparation for cleaning and dressing the wound
So how are you doing now Ron a few days after surgery?  

Well, I still haven't pooped (surgery was on Tuesday).  One of the wonderful side effects of pain killers is that they constipate you.  I am constipated of course but I have stopped taking the pain killers.  My pain level is down to a 2 or 3 (sometimes 4) and I can tolerate that.  It's just when it gets up to 7 or 8 I reach for the pills. Kaitlyn advised me to drink a glass of warm prune juice to get my bowels moving again.  Lovely subject for a family blog huh?  Well you know me folks, I generally don't gloss over.  Not at least where my bowels are concerned.  I like to go every day, sometimes more than once.  


I just got up from a very refreshing nap.  Activities like this morning tend to drain me but Kaitlyn said it was important that I keep active around the house, keep the blood flowing. Even as I sit here at this computer desk with my left leg splayed out, it's good. One thing, I'm getting around good on my walker.  But I am totally dependent on Bill for my food shopping. I can get my medication delivered to me, another fine service by the very aware medical community down here in Lower Slower.  No hobbling to the pharmacy and waiting and waiting for my number to be called. 

So here we are at Friday night folks.  I won't be going out to the clubs tonight moonwalking.  After dinner ("eat lots of protein", Kaitlyn advises me, "helps to heal faster"), I'll settle in for a movie night at the Tipton Cinema. That's what I usually do on weekends anyway.

One thing I'm really missing folks, besides my mobility (which I miss A LOT) is going to work.  I may only work two days a week but I do so like going to work and being active.  This couch potato lifestyle just isn't me.

Stay tuned folks, the saga continues.  Today was a good day, for a Friday the 13th.

24 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Yes, make sure you get up and move about. Man, I don't know about couch potato. I don't have a go-to job anymore, but I sure am not a couch potato. I seem to be always busy and my calendar is always full. It's surprising how time gets filled up.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I'm moving about, I have too according to my physical therapist. But I also have to rest after the daily exercise of moving around in my house. I am exhausted too after just doing my daily chores like eating breakfast, lunch and dinner (have to prepare those meals myself, I don't know what it's like to have someone else prepare meals for me, maybe that's why I like to go out occasionally to restaurants). I' accommodating to my new reality with my activity schedule. I miss going out though.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Yikes! I've been catching up on all your posts! What a traumatic experience but, I have to say you really have managed to keep a positive attitude through it all. When you feel a little stronger, start making plans for another trip to Los Angeles. Give yourself something to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clip,
      We've already made plans for another trip to Los Angeles. That will be an annual event for me and Pat. The reason for the trip at first was to celebrate our mutual birthdays at the end of the year. New tradition.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Glad you are getting such good care and instruction. I have that same problem with pain killers, even over the counter kinds. Still sometimes there is no choice and prune juice does work. I just consider that juice as additional meds. Eat lots of fiber to.

    Keep up the great work on your road to recovery!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Thank God the prune juice worked. Three days is a long time to go without visiting the bathroom. Yesterday I went five times. I feel so much better now.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Good to hear, home health can be worth it's weight in gold. Do a little more each day,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I am very impressed with the home health care. Just what I needed. The hospital really isn't the place to recuperate and I definitely didn't want to do a rehab center.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron, it sounds like your health care is excellent - - which is more than I can say for some of the places I've lived.
    Both of my parents died in Texas and I swear to you that poor health care was a large part of the cause.

    I bet you'll be looking forward to doing your own grocery shopping again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      What a pleasant surprise the home health care is. I was't even expecting it. I always have such low expectations of health care. This was a nice surprise. You can be sure I'm looking forward to doing my own shopping again. Just to get out and in my car. I'm housebound now except for when Bill can help me slid in the back seat for one of my doctor's appointments.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron - that's terrific getting help like that. It looks like your left foot is less swollen too. As for protein I think chick peas are pretty good and they make a nice quick tasty snack. Some chick peas in a bowl and put on a little wine vinegar (or something similar) some herbs and perhaps red chilli flakes with some olive oil. Very satisfying. Look forward to your continued progress!!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      That chick pea recipe sounds good. I'll have to try it. Wish I could have someone make it for me but I guess that's asking too much. I'm still preparing all my own food.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am so happy to hear some positive things, Ron. I know it's been tough. But this post is great. It is absolutely proven that in home recuperation is faster than a hospital. I had some minor surgery 30 years ago, and fought to get out by noon! Not 6PM! HAHAHAHAHA

    So glad it's going better now. I am in vegetable mode...just a long week at your normalcy: the job.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Hope fully I'm finally on the road to recovery. What an experience this has and continues to be. Something I will never forget the rest of my life. How fast one's life can change from one simple fall on the ice. I knew I should have stayed in Los Angeles.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Ron,
    I am happy to see you recovering so well, especially in the pain department. Will you have to have any kind of physical therapy at all? Seems like that would be likely. By the way, my mother fell, dislocated her shoulder and broke her hip at age 98. She spent 8 weeks in a rehab facility and then had physical (for the hip) and occupational therapy (for the shoulder) at home. She became married to her walker even though she said she would never use one. They do give you a very secure feeling and worth the little bother they might be.
    Again, so happy you are on the mend. My normal medications tend to constipate me so I take Milk of Magnesia caplets and it works very well. Just sayin'
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I still have some pain but not a great deal. It comes and goes, I guess with the healing process of the tissues trying to connect again. I see my doctor (orthopedic surgeon) next week for a followup. In about two weeks I begin a regular regimen of physical therapy at a physical therapy center, probably three days a week. For now my exercise is around the house here, preparing my meals, using the bathroom and spending time with Bill. Lots of rest though because dragging myself around the house on this walker is tiring. I do like my walker, gives me a great sense of security but I don't think I will be married to it after my leg heals. I do miss just walking around. By the way, the prune juice worked! Went to the bathroom about five times yesterday, all good BM's. I'm so glad I'm back to being regular again because I was really getting sluggish.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. OMG! Another post I've had to skim through rapido, not even daring to play the videos. But, hey, delighted it's going in the right direction, even if I would rather see still more of your exploits in La-La-Land. (Or maybe there isn't any more?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Ooops! Sorry to gross you out again. You know what? Looking at my leg with those 25 shiny, metal staples gags me too. Oh I so want to post more about our stay in Los Angeles. I hardly touched the surface. I was going to do a post today but my heart just isn't in it. I would rather post about those good times when I'm totally enthused. I'm too preoccupied with my recovery and therapy right now. My apologies. Bear with me.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. The wound looks good: clean not red and looks to heal fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      The wound appears to be healing fine. What I really want is my leg to work again. Then all my anxiety would be gone.
      Ron

      Delete
  11. And I am severely disappointed in you for not going for the peg leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Hmmmm. . . . . . I just hope you're never faced with this choice. You don't realize how much you depend on your mobility until you no longer have it.
      Ron

      Delete
  12. I agree that it's important to keep going and being active around the house. Even though it may be tiring, it's overall better for your body. I would keep doing as Kaitlyn suggests and preserver. I really admire you for your determination and hard work to get better! http://www.allstathomehealth.com/homehealth/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean,
      I cannot say enough good things about Home Health Care. I didn't ask for it and when I was told they were coming, I didn't think too much about it but man oh man, what a difference they make in my convalescence. They have comforted me, given me valuable advice, taken care of my wound and best of all, made life oh so much easier for me now that I don't have to go through the laborious and dangerous process of going out of the house. I know I am recuperating so much better here at home than I would in a rehab center. Sometimes things are just right and home health care is one of them. I feel blessed. I hope you can get something like this for your mother.
      Ron

      Delete