Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Home Health Care Visit

Home Health Care - brilliant idea!


Cynthia, from Home Health Care just left.  She changed the dressing on my wound and pronounced that I am coming along fine.  

No infection on the wound, and I appear healthy.  She said "You must be doing the right thing."

She is concerned about five main things:

Infection
Bowel movements
Blood clots
Healing progress
Exposure to flu

I have no infection.  My bowel movements are fine.  In fact, they're the best they've been even before my accident.  She said that is most probably due to my change in diet.  I was advised to eat a lot of protein, which is what I am doing.  In fact I just sent Bill out to the Modern Mixture restaurant in Milton to pick me up some falafels, green smoothie and a tamale (veggie).  I'm eating good folks, no junk.


Modern Mixture Too restaurant in Milton DE
Protein infusion for Ron


I was concerned about potentially dangerous blood clots.  She said that they are a possibility if I was too bed bound.  But she said "I can see you're an active person, so keep up the balance of exercise and bed rest" which is just what I am doing folks. I can't lay in bed all day but I do find that my body tells me when I need rest.  Like right now I'm typing this blog at my computer, I can do this for a short period of time but then I have to stop because my body says "Time to rest!"


Home Health Care - this works!


She also told me something that I was wondering about myself.  Sometimes I feel a sense of panic that my leg will never work again.  She says I have to practice patience which is what I was doing, even though at times I felt like I was losing it.  She said "It will take at least three months" until you completely heal. That's a lot of patience folks, especially for me. 

She was also concerned that if my bowels didn't move due to inactivity, that I would have obstruction of my bowels.  Thank God I don't have that and I'm going to do whatever is necessary to prevent that including minimal and no use of pain killers which does causes constipation.  

Another concern she expressed, that I not get out and expose myself to catching the flu or a cold.  She said it was very important that my immune system not be compromised during this healing process.  Before I had my surgery (one week ago today) I did get out and go shopping but I haven't been out of the house since because I want to give every opportunity for my leg to heal.  Now I have another reason not to go out, to not expose myself to any flu viruses out there waiting to take me down. 

I do go out tomorrow to see my doctor.  Cynthia thinks maybe my staples in my incision will come out next week. That should be fun.  She advised me to take a couple of Tylenol a half hour before she visits. 

One little fall on the ice on February 18th, and see where this has brought me folks.  Our way of life can be changed so drastically in seconds.  

I am so thankful for the Home Health Care I am receiving  It is giving me so much peace of mind.  From every bad situation there is something to be learned.  What I am learning is that this aspect of our health care system is working.  And I have a new appreciation of people who are disabled and need help.


Life teaches you another lesson Ron.  



18 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Bravo! You are doing everything right and it is paying off. When they say "life changing" it doesn't necessarily mean the change is bad. This change certainly started out as bad but will end up good. The continued change in your diet will keep you much healthier, even though your diet was healthy, thanks to Pat, before the fall. I agree with your home health aide, keep your contacts with others to a minimum, a compromised immune system will only lengthen your healing time and you don't need the added burden of dealing with a cold or flu.
    Glad to see your definitely on the mend.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      So far so good. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron - I'm a retired veterinary (dog and cat) nurse, and I've removed many staples from surgical incisions. For the most part, the dogs seemed totally unbothered by the whole procedure. (Cats are bothered by everything you do to them, because they're cats.) The only problems came about when the owner waited too long to come in for staple removal, and the flesh had partially grown over the staple, burying it a bit. If you get yours out next week, that'll be two weeks post-op, right? That sounds about right, and things should go fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol,
      That's what my home health care operator said, staples removed next week before the flesh grows over the staples. Thanks for confirming this information.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You sound better each time you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I'm making progress and gaining hope that I will eventually be back to normal. It was pretty bleak there for a while.
      But I am still anxious to gain the use of both of my legs again, which my home health care provider assures me I will . . . . but e patient she says because it will take three months which sounds like a LONG time.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. It is awesome to hear you are doing so well after your accident. Some people after an accident really stop trying, and gain a lot of weight as well as let the injury get worse. You are not one of those people, and you are doing everything you can to get back to as healthy as possible. Thank you for your great story. http://www.allstathomehealth.com/homehealth/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Thank you for your comment. I don't see where I have any other choice. I have to grt better because I want my regular life back and Bill depends on me. I can't give up, they is not an option. But I have to admit they a three month recovery period is rather a daunting prospect. One thing this accident has reinforced in me is a new appreciation got life and the freedom of mobility and to never take anything for granted. I have learned they on an instant one's life can change forever.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron so glad everything is going well without complications. Can't wait to hear what good news you'll have for us after the visit to the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I am so glad there are no complications so far and I seem to be healing on schedule. Still a long way to go though.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. CYnthia isn't also concerned about coverage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Home Health Care is covered my my Medicare and supplemental insurance.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. That's on awful lot for you to remember, Ron, though I'm sure you will because absolutely everything is at stake on it. Don't know why, but Paul McCartney's 'Long and Winding Road' is playing in my head. You'll get through. We know you will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      That was a lot for me to remember. Home health care has been so good to me. It's taken a lot of stress out of my life. It is so hard for me to get around with this bad leg, and I'm not sure how to clean my wound and next Tuesday the staples come out. I know I couldn't do that and I would rather not drag myself out of the house and go to the doctor's office to get that done. I only have two months to go until I'm back to normal. Can't happen fast enough.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. I think it's great that you are receiving so much peace of mind in your home health care. That's one of the main reasons as to why it's there. I've been looking for something similar to this in my area for my mom. We haven't found anything yet, but I would hope that it helps my mom just as much as it helps you. http://www.allstathomehealth.com/homehealth/index.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean,
      Peace of mind, that's what having home health care does for me and would for anyone in my situation. I hope you're able to find something similar for your mother.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Thank you for writing, this thoughtful life lesson. Everyone can learn a lot from your experience. I agree on what you said, life can change in a few seconds, but it is how we learn and grow from these quick changes that make us who we are. From my own experience, I have learned to let things go and live for the now.

    Walton Baylor @ Homewatch CareGivers Atlanta East

    ReplyDelete
  10. We're glad about your progress and we are excited about your story. Maxicare, is one of the leading companies that offering home health care services in the Philippines. Because of your story, my Dad was inspired and decided to avail home care services.

    ReplyDelete