Friday, March 06, 2015

Cardiac Clearance Approved!

Just got back from my cardiologist and I've been approved for surgery.  YES!  

I call the hospital after 2 PM this afternoon  (2 1/2 hours from now) to confirm my surgery for this coming Tuesday.  Tuesday will be one day short of a month since I fell and injured my leg.  

My cardiologist asked "Why did this taking so long?"  I told him that was my question too. Well, I had to wait a week and a half until I had my MRI to determine the extent of the injury.  Then I had to wait a week until I could see my orthopedic doctor.  I was originally schedule for surgery right now (it's 11:43 AM, my surgery was scheduled for 11 AM today). 

What a chore it was to drive to my cardiologist this morning.  Getting in my car with my leg is extremely difficult on a regular day but yesterday we had a snow storm (6 to 8 inches).  The temperature was in the teens this morning so everything was iced over, even though the sun was out.  

Thank God I have Bill.

Thank God Bill is a good driver.

Thank God Bill knows how to drive in ice and snow. 

 He's not the best with directions but he does know how to drive a car . . . . good.  

Arriving at Cardiovascular Associates - ice and snow on the ground!
Of course we had to be VERY CAREFUL getting me out of the car and into Cardiovascular Associates.  VERY CAREFUL.  God, I will be glad when this winter is over.

I hobble in with Bill's help.  After a short wait I'm ushered into one of the doctor's anterooms to wait for my cardiologist.  I am very lucky because all my doctors are excellent, including Dr. Myers, my cardiologist. 

After helping my up on the table, I'm hooked up the the electro cardiogram.  

Pulse is taken . . . good.

Blood pressure taken . . . good.

Some other vital signs are taken . . all good.

My doctor comes in, he already knows what happened to me.  He takes some more vital signs then approves me for surgery.  YES!

Waiting for my doctor to evaluate me - I'll have to remember to smile in one of these pictures


We discuss some other things like my sleep apnea and irregular heartbeat.  I will be back to my doctor after this leg heals.  I want to be around a long time.  Heart problems run in my family.  Both my younger brothers have heart problems, my youngest is on his second pacemaker. My father and my other brother have arctic aneurysms. I guess I'm a candidate.  I guess I'm getting old.  I like to think of myself as immortal and living forever but reality . . . bites.

Anyway, make to the current problem, getting my leg fixed.  It looks like I'll have surgery this Tuesday. As I mentioned earlier, I'll call after two this afternoon to confirm.  At least the temperatures will be up by next week and the snow gone.  I hope I've seen the last of snow and ice around here this year.

Bill getting our car ready to load me up after my appointment this morning with my cardiologist - note the snow and ice covered parking lot being melted with rock ice - I've had enough winter this year

17 comments:

  1. Thank goodness everything is working out OK. After the surgery you'll finally be able to relax and heal.
    It's amazing how much TROUBLE a patch of ice can cause....
    (my back still hurts a lot ever since I fell)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Jon, one little patch of ice almost killed me (if I didn't have my iPhone with me to call 911). I would be in a rehab center now if I didn't have Bill because I couldn't manage alone here in the house (can't drive to get food or to the doctors or hospital). I'm so glad your fall wasn't more serious although I know it is a bother that you're still in pain. Please, please please be very careful when walking on snow or ice because you DO NOT want this to happen to you.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Glad to hear it went well. It's a shame you had to put off the surgery and then go out on these roads today, but at least you are approved now. Tuesday should be a nice day. Lot of snow to melt this weekend, though. Got a least 8 inches here. Laurel and I shoveled out yesterday. Had my PT this morning and the road was in bad shape. 9 degrees this morning and even with the sun out things aren't melting much. It is beautiful, though, all these snow covered trees. Looking forward to higher temperatures next week.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally Larry, maybe I can begin to heal now.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron,

    Glad you and Bill made it safely through the snow and ice! That weather could not have been comfortable for you since conditions such as this caused your injury. Hopefully Tuesday you will be one step closer to your recovery.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      That was an obstacle course yesterday just getting to my cardiologist's office and even the entrance, that had snow and ice around it. The temperatures are warming up now thankfully, so when I go in Tuesday for my operation (finally), we won't be facing zero degree weather, snow, sleet and ice like we have the past week.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. It is good to hear, let's all hope this is the last of the snow for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I hope do too!!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,
    I understand a warm up trend is in store for most of the country so it looks like this might be the last blast of Winter. This has been one of the worst that I can remember since I moved to Virginia twenty years ago.
    Yes, thank God for Bill. You are very lucky to have him and your good neighbors.
    Best of luck on Tuesday, the surgery is the beginning of your recovery which I hope is speedy.
    Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I hope to God this is the last of the snow this year and the zero degree weather. Enough already. Each winter seems to get worse. Each year I am taking more seriously moving to another part of the country for January and February. Only three more days to go to surgery so I can finally start healing and get my mobility back.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Glad that hurdle is out of the way!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jay! I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't cleared that hurdle.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Jack,
    So looking forward to warmer temperatures, no snow or ice and recovery. This has gone on too long.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad this went OK. CardioMD are usually ambivalent about your kind of case: getting 'cardio-clearance' is a bit of a nuisance for them, but hey it is some quick in/out money for them!
    HOwever, I think you can cease entertaining the medical men now; get well soon. Pieces of eight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Good to see and talk to you this morning! I hope your allergies clear up soon. They can be so annoying and debilitating. Only three more days until I "go under" again. I jus hope I don't do a "Joan Rivers" this time.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Fingers (and everything else) crossed for Tuesday, Ron. May that day's expected success be echoed by a turn of your weather for the better, leaving you walking with a real spring in your step - well, may that also happen soonish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Thank God the weather is taking a turn for normal (if 32 degrees can be considered normal). I'm so over the zero degree weather and the snow, ice and sleet. And I am so looking forward to walking with a "spring in my step." Heck, I'm jus looking forward to walking. Tuesday, the day of my operation will be one day short of one month since I fell. This has gone on long enough.
      Ron

      Delete