Sunday, March 01, 2015

Back Among the Living

The view from my bed the last two days

Folks, I'll won't beat around the bush here.  The past two days I felt like dying.  That's how bad my flu was.  So much for my annual flu shot. Every year I get a flu shot at the VA and every year, except last year, I get the flu.  And I get it BAD.  The past two days was no exception.

And to have a bad case of the flu hobbling around on this injured leg of mine.  I didn't even put on my pants the past two days and that's not like me.  All I wanted to do is go to sleep and not wake up.  That's how miserable I was. 

Laid up and out of commission - at least I have my pants on today - I'm not a bathrobe kind of guy


I could only eat chicken soup.  I didn't even want to drink that much. My Nestle's bottled water didn't even taste good.  My day consisted of:


  • sleeping
  • getting up and going to the bathroom
  • hobbling out in the pitching and preparing something to eat (chicken soup only)
  • getting back into bed
  • sleeping
The first day I was all slept out so I watched TV.  The only times I watch TV are when I watch one of my Netflix movie rentals on the weekend.  The other times I have the TV on is for wallpaper; either while I'm eating or doing something in the kitchen or working on my computer.  I never just SIT and watch the TV like a couch potato.  However, that's what I did yesterday because I was all slept out.  It worked.  I binged watch "Millionaire Matchmaker" for hours, even to the extent of watching Patti trying to match up the odious Perez Hilton (God, who would want a date with THAT?) 

Perez (Mario Lavandeira, Jr.) Hilton

The past two days I've been coughing up green and yellow phlegm (sorry) and just feeling blah, the way you feel when you have the flu.  I must have had an infection in my bladder because that was even hurting (not now though).  Usually when I have a bad case of the flu my bladder hurts, like I have to go but I can't.  

This morning when I woke up I actually felt human again.  Still exhausted, still hobbling around (not much pain from my leg thank goodness) and still have the remnants of this flu but I feel it going away.  You know how you know when you're over the worst of it?

I wish I could sit longer at this computer typing but as you know, my left left still has to be straight, not bent and it is very uncomfortable typing.  But I did want to bring everyone who is interested up to snuff on how I'm doing.  I actually think I'll survive this latest health crises.  I keep thinking back to how easily I could have avoided my slip and fall that put me into this position but I guess I should be thankful I wasn't more seriously hurt or left to lie outside in that alley all night, unable to move.  Thank God I took the three steps into the hotel lobby before I collapsed and thank God I had my iPhone with me.  Who needs Life Alert whiny have your iPhone?  Not me, that's for sure.  

Standing on my own two feet this morning 


Thank you again Steve Jobs for saving my life, again.




18 comments:

  1. Ron,
    Good to see you up and moving around, you are on the mend. Keep on coughing up the icky green and yellow stuff, you definitely don't want pneumonia on top of everything else.
    Regarding your advise on your previous post, I try to avoid walking when there's ice. If you noted on my Facebook post the other day my car is parked about 25 feet from my door and it is sometimes difficult if not impossible to avoid the ice. Yesterday was one of those days but I did venture out to a friend's for dinner and almost slipped more than once but managed to avoid actually falling. I think your experience definitely made me more cautious.
    Hope there is good news from the orthopedist next week.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I cannot stress how fast your life can change with a one second slip and fall on the ice. Many times I have gone over in my mind how I could have avoided my fall. The misery that I've had the past two weeks (and continues) could have been avoided so easily. I am just thankful that I have someone here with me to help me. I really don't know what I would have done if I was by myself. I can't drive with my leg like this. I would be in one hell of a mess. Please be careful on the ice.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. So glad to know that you're able to get out of bed and hobble around. Hopefully that's a small step on the road to recovery.
    I've always been against flu shots. EVERYBODY I know who gets them inevitably gets the flu. Anyway, take it easy and keep blogging - - when your injured leg allows it.

    By the way, the Wuff Wuff Concerto sounds pretty good to me (*smile*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Every year with the possible exception of last year, the flu shot has not prevented me from getting the flu. I am seriously thinking of not getting a flu shot next year. And last year they finally admitted it was only 27% effective. Makes me wonder if there is a big con going on.
      Oh yes, I am looking forward to you losing the "Lone" in the title of your blog. It's going to happen, guaranteed.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hang in there Ron... !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron,

    Many moons ago I got a flu shot. I then got the flu. I never got another flu shot and I have seldom gotten the flu. This year they have admitted the flu vaccine was only 18% effective. But we don't know if those people would have gotten it even if they got the shot. What we do know is 82% got the shot and also got the flu. I am not against vaccination, those that we know work, like measles and polio and other dreaded diseases from our youth, but the drugstores put out signs advertising a whole slew of new and perhaps doubtful stuff at about $30 a pop, flu, pneumonia, shingles and who knows what. Do they work? Don't know. And this shingles, all of a sudden ads galore saying 1 in 3 people get shingles. I knew one person in my whole life who got shingles, an elderly aunt back in the 1950s. By the way, that Perez clown is as ugly on the outside as he seems to be on the inside. You could have spared us that image.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Larry,
      On this we agreement, "Perez Hilton" is one ugly troll. God, his anybody could want that. But they say everybody has a mother that loves it. I wonder if there is a exception in Perez's case.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron,

    Glad you are finally on the road to recovery. Continue to take it easy, you don't want to relapse! Thinking good thoughts for you appointment on Tuesday!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      Feeling much better today although I did relapse last night with my flu. Pure misery. I'll be so glad when all this is over.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I am glad to hear you are on the mend.
    I still think the peg-leg was the answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Peg-leg is NOT THE ANSWER! Now behave yourself. :)
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Good to hear form you. Hopefully you have MRI results soon,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tomorrow David, tomorrow.

      Delete
  8. Anonymous3:55 PM

    I'm glad you are seeing some light at the end of the tunnel, Ron. Isn't it a helpless feeling to be down & out? I feel so sorry tor those like Cajun, who have one thing happen after another and then on top of that it's terminal. God bless him & you. I had the never ending flu from Thanksgiving thru Christmas. I thought if I coughed one more time it would be the last. Time goes so slow when you feel bad. Don'you think? Take care of yourself! Fran

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fran,
      I actually do think I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. When I took my shower this morning, even though it was as laborious as ever, I felt so much better, especially since much of my flu symptoms stopped (the sneezing and runny nose). I am so sorry that you've been suffering so long with your flu. Usually when I get it, it lasts a week at the most. My friend Larry had the flu last year for what seemed like all winter.
      I too felt so sorry for the Cajun. One thing after another for poor Wayne but you know, the few times I saw him in person he never complained or felt sorry for himself. He just soldiered on through. I think he knew his illness was terminal but he never wallowed in self-pity but just tried to make the best of it. He was so tired the last time I saw him. When someone dies like that we always feel bad for them but it is us who are left behind who now suffer because we miss their joy for life. I know it is a cliche but Wayne ("The Cajun") is truly at peace now. He suffered so much.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Anonymous4:06 PM

    Hi, Ron. Glad it seems you are on the other side of the flu. From what you have described, I feel pretty certain that's what you had. There is a handy one page web site that I can't recall right now (I'm sure you can find it via the almighty google) which shows and compares the main symptoms of a cold vs. the flu. Fever and body ache are associated with the flu. I don't want to get into a debate with you about the flu vax, but I am a major proponent of it. You have to realize that the doctors and scientists who help create it have to do so around 6 months in advance. Also, there are traditionally only 3 virus strains that are included (I believe there might be a new version that contains 4). So they have to pick from many strains, and decide which will be most prevalent and/or dangerous (some strains are more deadly than others). Sometimes their crystal ball can be a bit hazy. For instance, this year there was an antigen drift in one of the strains, so the protection from the vax was incomplete. And it is still entirely possible to get one of the many strains that was not included. Working with the public, like you do, can increase the likelihood that you might get exposed to a rarer strain.

    Please don't give up on the vax. There is now an option to get one that is "stronger", because as we age we don't have as strong of an immune response to vax. I dearly hope that you and Bill and Pat have also been vax'd for shingles. Talk about a living hell! It can blind you if it goes into your eyes, and a high percentage of people can have neuropathic pain that lasts even after the shingles are gone. There is also a new pneumonia vax on the market, so please consider asking about it, even if you've had one before, because the new one covers more strains.

    OK, I'll step off my soapbox. Hope you continue to improve. Keep an eye on that cough. Fingers crossed for the best possible MRI news tomorrow. ~~~ NB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NB,
      Of course you're right about flu vaccinations and I will continue to get them. The worst of my flu is over for now (I hope). I got bad news from my doctor today. Two of my ligaments are torn, that's why I can't lift my lower leg. Surgery is schedule for this Friday. He will sew them back together. Recovery will take six to eight weeks. There goes my skiing plans.
      Ron

      Delete