Saturday, March 14, 2015

Afternoon Surprise - The Kindness of Strangers

Me with my Bird of Paradise Flowers from a very kind family

On this quiet gray, rainy Saturday afternoon here at Casa Tipton-Kelly we got a surprise.

While I was lying in my bed, resting my aching leg (healing I hope), I hear the doorbell ring.  Bill answers the door.  From my bedroom window I see a small white truck pull away.  "What could that be?" I wonder?

Curiosity getting the better of me, I wiggle out of my bed (have to "wriggle" lest I hurt my leg even more), get on my walker and make the short walk out into the kitchen.  Bill is smiling.  He says "I hope this make you feel better?"  He was referring to our earlier conversation in which I was trying to show him how to use FaceTime while he was shopping so I could show him what I wanted. Bill doesn't like to try new things.  He goes into anything new with an attitude "I can't do this."  I finally convinced him that if he goes into anything with that attitude then he won't be able to do it.  We had our "discussion", he realizing I was right and I retired to my bedroom to rest some more.

Thus, rounding the corner with my walker I see this huge box from a flower company.  Flowers? Someone is sending me flowers?  NO ONE EVER SENDS ME FLOWERS.  Now, don't anything get any ideas here and start sending me flowers.  I'm not fishing for flowers.

So we open the box, or more accurately Bill opens the box.  I have a hard time doing anything balancing myself on my walker.


Bill takes out the flowers.  They are Bird of Paradise flowers.  Well, I never have received flowers and I certainly have never received Bird of Paradise flowers.  Someone has really great taste.

Bill finds the card.  I open it to read:

"Ron-
Get well soon, dammit
Best wishes
Liberty and Independence
(Colby, Max and Jill)"

What a pleasant surprise.  "Liberty and Independence" is one if not the first blogs I read when I first started to blog in 2005.  He only writes once a week a blog post called:
"The Sunday Post"

He posts pictures that he took during the week, usually of his family and their activities.  I always read his blog because it gives me such pleasure.  He never complains and always has something positive to say.  He and his blog make me feel good about life.  What a nice generous gesture he and his family did by sending me flowers to express their concern for my well being.  If you want to see his blog it is HERE:

I have to tell you folks, I was genuinely touched.  How kind of this man and his family to take the time and effort to wish me well.  Thank you Colby and please thank your wonderful family.  You brought a little cheer into an old man's world on this dreary, rainy Saturday.

Yes, I am smiling! Something to smile about.  Kindness from friends.



19 comments:

  1. Aw, that's so sweet. I always thought L&I was a grand guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is Denise. And he has a wonderful family.

      Delete
  2. What a nice surprise. Kind, thoughtful, generous people never fail to restore my waning faith in humanity.
    Bird of Paradise flowers always remind me of California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Again, you put into words exactly how I feel. "Kind, thoughtful, generous people never fail to restore my waning faith in humanity." And the Bird of Paradise, he sent me a private e-mail saying I was a "bird of paradise" kind of guy. He knows me well (smile).
      Ron

      Delete
  3. That is very thoughtful! You are looking good Ron! You are handling that walker really well. Your mom would be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      If only my Mom could see me on the walker now. She woukd get such a kick out of it. Tell you one thing, I'm gaining a new appreciation for folks who are handicapped. I will be so thankful when I can get the use of both of my legs back again. Never in a million years would I hsve ever dreamed I would be getting around only with the aid of a walker, but at least I can get around although it does get very hiring after a while.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,

    It is wonderful to see you smile, and what a thoughtful gift to someone we all know loves flowers. This made my day, keep up with that smile. I imagine you will smile every time you see them!

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had much to smoke about recently Cindy but the thoughtfulness and kindness this man and his family made me smile today. What a nice thing fr him to do.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Cindy,
    I meant to say "smile about recently", not "smoke". THat's what I get for trying to type my responses on this tiny iPhone keyboard. 😝
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron,
    I just got a warm and fuzzy feeling after hearing of Myra's death, she was a delightful woman and former mayor of Virginia Beach. Also my brother in law's step grandson has been missing in New Jersey since March 3, no word on how or why. He is nineteen years old.
    Thanks for sharing your flowers.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      I share my life (or most of it) on this blog. It is my therapy. And an extra added benefit which I didn't expect, I've made new friends. Nice friends.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Such a nice and cheery way to know that one is not forgotten - and it'll be remembered for much longer than the beautiful flowers themselves last.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Ray. What a kind snd thoughtful gesture from this very kind man and his family. My old cynical heart was warmed.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Flowers are swell, but I think I should send you a cart of Ensure and a bottle of gin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I have been advised that I need plenty of protein for my leg to heal properly. I am working on that right now. I don't think gin has that much protein though.
      Ron

      Delete
  9. Very nice! Isn't it special when an unexpected happiness shows up?

    I am surprised that Bill, given his career, is afraid to try new things, I guess technology in particular. Interesting what you learn. I have been trying a "new to amateur radio" digital mode called Digital Mobile Radio. It's a lot of fun. I drove 200 miles today taking signal readings. 200 more is expected next weekend, then we swap antennas and do it all again! Bill will appreciate this!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Bill has always been resistant to any kind of change. I never thought I would convince him to use an iPad but now he's on it almost all his waking hours which I knew he would because he loves surfing the Internet. Still can't get him to use FaceTime though. Baby steps.
      Ron

      Delete
  10. Ron - i'm late again. But I wanted to say that that photo, the beautiful flowers, the very nice image of you and the thought of that family simply manifests love.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      It is always heart warming to know someone cares.
      Ron

      Delete