Sunday, December 28, 2014

The Deadest Week of the Year

The week after Christmas and before New Year's is the deadest week of the year.  I hate it.  

This is the week of the "lists" of the . . . uh "Ten Best Biggest News Stories of the Year" and such.  BORING.  What this week is actually is the week when most of the TV peeps take off and the TV stations bring out the backup crews to run BORING stories like the aforementioned list. Even the politicians take off.  Again, I don't fault them.  They're human too (well, most of them anyway - Michelle Bachmann I suspect is a robot). They too have families, such as it is.  

One thing that is really annoying me this year (tell us Ron) is the CONTINUING  "HO! HO! HO!" Santa Claus commercials.  Give us a break advertisers!  We've been hearing "HO! HO! HO!" since before Labor Day.  God, I am SO SICK of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and seeing that car with the big red bow on the top.  I don't even know what the make of that car is, which just goes to show you how bad a commercial that is.

So, instead of using TV as my background wallpaper, I'm reduced to playing the Beautiful Music station on my DIREC-TV whilst I feed my face (breakfast, lunch and dinner).  The one saving grace I have this time of year is that I'm watching a new DVD series from my Netflix rentals.  "The Wire".  Oh I DO love this series.  I was going into withdrawal after binge watching "Breaking Bad."  Thank goodness I have a new diversion.  Everyday day, when darkness descends on the Delaware landscape, I eat dinner then retreat to the Tipton Cinema (my bedroom with my 60 inch flat screen TV and surround sound system) and immerse myself in the corrupt and very interesting world of Baltimore drug trade, dock activity and police mechanizations.  I LOVE IT!  


17 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Así que, ¿qué pasa con la subtítulos español, hombre?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I thought that's what you were doing. I don't know why the Spanish sub titles were on that You Tube clip. That was the only You Tube clip I could get on Omar. The others were restricted so I had to take the one with Spanish sub titles.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Look at the bright side, Ron. It's only a month and a half 'till Valentine's Day. And the Christmas commercials won't start again until next summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      That "HO! HO! HO!" Santa Claus commercial, which I've seen several times since I wrote this blog, is for Infiniti cars. That damn commercial has been running since Labor Day!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Loved the Wire!! Watched it twice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Iberostar,
      I'm loving "The Wire." The only bad thing when I find a series like this that I love, is when it ends. I go into withdrawal. I love realistic series, not the usual Hollywood phoniness and predictability.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Anonymous12:04 AM

    If you like Omar, the next TV series that you may want to bingewatch is 'Boardwalk Empire'. The actor that plays Omar plays a character in that series.

    ~ Canuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cannuck,
      Oh I definitely like "Omar." Thanks for the tip. I was wondering what I was going to watch next after I finish "The Wire." Thanks again!
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Ron - Elvis sings "why can't everyday be like Christmas" - well if the stores can keep backing up the start of the celebration his wish in some ways will come true.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fully expect in my lifetime that Christmas ads will be year round.

      Delete
  6. Ron - wow. It's been a while since I've seen the Wire but those two clips sent shivers down my spine.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Pat for cluing me into "The Wire." I'm binging.

      Ron

      Delete
  7. Ron,

    What I was asking was why all those Spanish subtitles in the clips of The Wire you posted?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      Those Spanish sub-titles were already on the You Tube videos I posted. Those were the only You Tube videos I could post of Omar, the others were disabled.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. It's relatively quiet at the clinic too. Commute traffic is down. It makes me wonder what and where are the usuals? On holiday? home? going to all these holiday parties that I am not included?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      You mean I'm not the only one who wasn't invited to all those festive holiday parties? Now I don't feel so bad.
      Ron

      Delete