Saturday, December 13, 2014

Remembering a December Birthday

Jim and Pat helping Bob in his wheel chair last year at the assisted living facility where he and Jim lived.  


A few days ago, December 10th, would have been my longtime friend Bob's 78th birthday.  For over a half a century I always sent a birthday card or took Bob out for lunch or dinner on his birthday.  I won't be doing that this year because he died this past year.  

Most of my friend's birthdays are in December.  My Mother's birthday was December 24th.  My former boss and longtime friend Bill P.'s birthday is December 20th.  Another longtime friend, Bill B. (I have a lot of "Bill" friends) birthday is also December 24th.  My dear neighbor Barbara's birthday is December 9th.  My new good friend Pat's birthday is December 29th. And the December birthdays of my friends, former co-workers and relatives goes on.  March must of been a very fertile month.  

But every year for the rest of my life December 10th will always hold a special time in my life.  Bob may be gone but I will always celebrate his birthday in my heart.  

Happy birthday Bob. 




6 comments:

  1. Life goes on even though time is a sentence when people get old. We will all (hopefully) get to that point and the circle of life will keep on going. For that reason, it is important to live in the present and not care too much about that fatal sentence. If we would all live a meaningful and fulfilling life, it would make it easier for that eventuality but I also understand that it is not easy at all to lose loved family members and close friends. Since there is nothing we can do about it, all we have left are cherished memories. And I can't even imagine living in old age being unhealthy, sick and miserable. You are not that way at all Ron. You take care of your health issues, and I want to think you don't get depressed easily. Count your blessings and be happy otherwise, what an awful way to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      You are so right, live life int eh present and a meaningful and fulfilling life. That's why I'm going to Los Angeles next month. All my life I've always put off until "later" to do these adventures. Time is running out and while I have the time, health and friends, I'm going to do it. I saw how fast Bob went downhill. I hope that's not my fate and I plan to do everything I can to avoid such a fate. I do count my blessings and be happy and to make others happy, those who care about me and I care about them. I don't have time for the others who dismiss me. Time has ran out for them.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    And of course, my daughter Noelle's birthday is December 12.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I diid not know that Noelle's birthday was in December but of course I should have. Isn't Laurel's also in December?
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      It will always be to my great regret that you and Bob never met each other and got to be friends. You would have liked him. Everybody did.
      Ron

      Delete