Monday, December 29, 2014

Random Thoughts



Never a dull moment around here folks.  This morning the Safelite guy came around and took a look at my cracked window shield and told me it would "never pass inspection."  Thank you very much.  The window shield has to be replace.  That's going to cost me $325.00.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that he can come by tomorrow morning to replace the window shield.  I will say one thing, I am pretty impressed with the efficiency that Safelite is handling my little problem.  

On the health front:  two of my friends are down now because of their health problems. My one friend (whose name I will not mention but regular followers of this blog know who I'm talking about) was AWOL from his blog for over a week.  I was beginning to get concerned that the worst happened.  Then I read his blog post this morning.  He's back in the hospital (Beebe).  Poor guy, he's practically been living there for the past year.  I am amazed at the way he is handling his health crises.  I know this sentiment is trite and a cliche but he truly is an inspiration to all of us.  Would that I would be the same if I was in his situation.  

My other friend, who was discovered on the floor of his home immobilized (could't use his legs) several months ago, is now at his home undergoing physical therapy to get the use of his legs back.  He cannot drive.  He has somebody come in three days a week to help him with his physical therapy so he can get the use of his legs back.  I talked to him on the phone Saturday and asked him "What do you do all day at home?"  He answered "What do you think I do?"  This is a guy who has no interest in anything other than his job and cruising around.  The job is out and his cruising days are long over. I think he is handling his health crisis pretty well except for the fact that he is very bitter.  Can't say I blame him but the difference between the way he is handling his situation and my other friend is very noticeable.  I don't fault either of them but I wonder how I would handle mine.  That's why I wish, when my time comes, I just pass away in my sleep. But we really don't get to choose do we?  Unless we take matters into our own hands, and I think I'm too chicken to do that.

My friend Pat's birthday is today.  My very youthful friend Pat is 66 years old.  Hard to believe.  What a year he's had since his retirement last year.  He met me.  Talk among yourselves now.  

Almost a week to go until I get on the big bird flying out of Tel Aviv Israel to catch in Philly for my flight to Los Angeles.  Am I ready?  I'm as ready as I'll ever be.  I still have this "little problem" of the side effects of my prostate cancer radiation.  Not to be too gross but I will have to take an um . . . "Fleet" to make sure I don't have an accidenton the plane.  And I remember those days when I could come and go as I please and not have to worry about an . . . accident.  Just more of the "fun" things about getting older.

I'm taking Bill to the greasy spoon (not really, just not fou fou) restaurant in Milton this afternoon for lunch.  We have been going to the new fou fou restaurant in Milton but decided not to go there today because I'm always cold there and the food, while good (not to Bill's taste though) is about double in the price at the dumpy restaurant's price.  But Bill likes the non fou fou restaurant.

New Year's?  I have nothing planned other than to work at the hotel . . . again.  No complaints here.  I get paid double time and the folks are (almost) always nice.  Not like when I worked at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA.  Lot of drunk kids partying there.  I think every New Year's, of the four years I worked there, I had to call the police to calm the punks down.  Last time they made a couple of arrests.  Ah, the good times.  Thankfully the guests at the staid hotel where I work now are more sedate.

I'm still watching "The Wire" from my Netflix DVD rentals.  Oh how I love that show.  I like the realism.  For once in a TV or Hollywood movie the drug dealers aren't blonde blue-eyed Nordic types that Hollywood casts for fear of offending and reinforcing certain racial stereotypes.  Not that there aren't blond blue-eye Nordic drug dealers but come one, inner city Baltimore (or Philly, or Washington D.C. or even our hallowed Rehoboth Beach - check out the activity in West Rehoboth Beach) - you just ain't going to see a Liam Hemsworth selling drugs.  You're going to see an Omar.  

Have a great day folks!


6 comments:

  1. Ron - it's been busy up here lately and I've missed your blogs. So I've put late entries on your last two. Sorry to hear about your window - always a big deductable on insurances. Hope your meal at the "dumpy" restaurant turns out okay. Generally I like greasy spoons but I've been to the restaurant you're talking about and it is somewhat peculiar in it's character or lack of I guess. Have you practice packed for LA yet? I'm doing a trial run to the airport soon.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Bill and I had lunch at the greasy spoon restaurant in Milton today and it wasn't bad, not bad at all. Very comfortable, I was warm (always cold at the other restaurant) and cheap. That's one of the good things about greasy spoons, always cheap. No, I haven't packed for the LA trip yet. I'll do that this Friday after completing my shifts at work. I have to get in the right frame of mind. Also, I want to get this car window shield thing finished. Always something.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Boy, you did get a rock in the windshield! I have had 2 new windshields in my Xterra in 5 years, plus a rear window. Thank goodness for good insurance. No deductibles!

    I know you much be excited about your LA excursion.

    I like the non-frou frou restaurants, too. Though I did do "posh" at lunch today. It was good! But I can't afford posh or frou frou too often.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I was talking to my friend Larry today and he said he also had a deductible but he had a special provision for glass damage. I think I'll have to think about getting a new insurance policy.

      I like to occasionally to the posh restaurants too. Not too often though, can't afford it. And yes, I am very much looking forward to our upcoming LA excursion. Always good to get a change of scenery every now and then.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. You seem to be the main man at the hotel for every holiday; I hope they are grateful for your industry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I be the main man at the hotel for every holiday. Same thing at the Hampton Inn where I worked in Pennsylvania. I am indispensable. Well, maybe not but helpful to have around the holidays. I doubt if I'm appreciated but I'm used to being taken for granted. It's my nature.
      Ron

      Delete