Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Out of Gas!

Emergency gas delivery this morning - thank goodness!



This morning I awoke to discover I was out of gas. No, not THAT kind of gas but propane gas to heat the house.

Bill (who gets up earlier than I do) informed me "the heater's not working."  I noticed that there was a chill in the house.  So here we go, more drama.  Already today I have scheduled to have the Safelite Autoglass repairman come and replace my damaged window shield.  What else can happen?

First things first, heat.  I call my propane gas company with is appropriately named "Poore's Propane" (what you are after you pay the gas bill).  I get a women on the phone who I can hardly understand.  She talking low and has that "girl" accent (squeaky) and a southern Delaware accent.  The Perfect Storm.

She advises me to check the meter on the buried tank outside. The cold outside.  Meter?  Where is that?  Another learning curve for Ron.  

I go outside (haven't eaten breakfast yet, I love these emergencies while I'm still half asleep in the cold), with my portable phone and look to open the lid to the propane gas tank.  Still trying to decipher Miss Valley Girl, I see a meter.  I twist my head and see that that the arrow is pointing to 5%.  Ummmmmm, she says it should be at least 50%.  Well, la de da, what do you know?  I'm out of gas.

She tells me she will put in an emergency call and the service man will be out this morning.  I HOPE SO.  The service man from Safelite Autoglass repair is coming out this afternoon to replace my cracked window shield. Thank goodness I screwed that appointment up yesterday because I had originally schedule for that guy to come out this morning.  I have a nice sized driveway but it's not big enough for both a propane gas truck and the Safelite van.  Mr. Needs a Lot of Service guys here.


I go back into the house and have breakfast and try to stay warm.  Thank goodness it wasn't really cold outside or there was snow.  The temperature this morning was 36 degrees.  Inside the house it was about 60 degrees but dropping.  Definitely chilly.


Another "thank goodness": I'm glad this didn't happen when I was out in Los Angeles which is where I will be next week.  Bill doesn't know what to do or who to call in situations like this.  I keep things running around here. My default position in life, Mr. Operations Guy. Some people are rock musicians, some others con artists insurance salesmen. Me, I keep the clocks running.






So the heat is on now folks and feeling mighty good.  I await my Safelite auto repairman while I try to get caught up on my e-mails and bill paying and blog entries.  

Just another day in the Life of Ron folks.

13 comments:

  1. Bill, So sorry for the early morning chilly start! Awfully glad it happen now and not after you left on your vacation, but I am sure one of your neighbors will help Bill out if something else happens. Hope the windshield replacement went well too. Hopefully all your problems are behind you now as it is almost time for your trip! Have a wonderful time while you are gone and hopefully the weather will be great in Southern California.

    Cindy from Sonoma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      I am so ready for my California holiday!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Glad they had an emergency service! We used butane for cooking, and we ran out unexpectedly on Christmas Day, right as we were finishing the cooking. Dodged a bullet there. Now we have two new bottles and should be good for a while. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you too Walt!

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Glad to see they were able to get to you quickly, have a Happy New Year. You keep the clocks running, can you get the trains to run on time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Happy new year to you too!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron

    I guess they can't monitor your gas tank from an office so they must anticipate when you need one. Similarly to garages who predict when you have your next oil change. I would think that they might provide you with a date for refill. Tho I don't have that kind of worry here with electricity - I just pay (heavily) as I go. Good thing it happened yesterday rather than today - the weather's dipping.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      For the eight years I've lived here they have never missed a delivery, usually at the highest gas prices. This is the first time they missed. Mike at work said it was because the gas prices are so low. I believe it. Too much of a coincidence.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. It's good to be the "clock" guy. I was for my dad for years. He'd save stuff up for my visits home! Visit? Heck no, here's the to do list!

    I woke there one morning and could see my breath. Dad had been up for hours, freezing. The furnace wouldn't come on. Turns out the fuse holder it was wired to was burned up. I wired it into an outlet (that was safe for the little blower motor) and he wound up having to have the fuse box replaced (thank goodness!). That was one cold day!!!

    I'm surprised a together guy like you doesn't have automatic delivery! I'll be the emergency delivery (which just meant diverting an already out and about truck over to your house to fill you up) was EXPENSIVE!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I do have automatic delivery. They screwed up and missed my delivery. I asked them why they missed it but they gave me some convoluted explanation. I think the more likely answer was that the gas price is down ( to $2.69 a gallon) and they were waiting for it to go up again. There was no extra charge for the emergency delivery.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I equate "convoluted" to "we screwed up". Glad there was no up charge! WHEW!!!
      Jay

      Delete
    3. Jay,
      My boss, who also uses Poore's Propane, is convinced they do speedy deliveries when the gas price is high and slow down when the gas price is low. This is the first time they missed a delivery for me. Odd that the gas price was also low. Maybe a coincidence , maybe not.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,
    I was wondering the same thing that Jay was, why not auto delivery. Well you answered the question. If their "missing" the delivery was deliberate, shame shame on them. The price of gas shouldn't influence their time for delivery. Their business is to keep your gas tank full. If they are basing their revenue solely on the price of gas, then their business is in real trouble, just my humble opinion.
    Happy New Year.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete