Monday, December 15, 2014

Diet Time

"You HAVE to be kidding me!"


This morning, after my shower I tossed caution to the wind and stepped on my weight scale.  170 lbs!

YIKES!  

I'm most comfortable at 160 lbs or lower.  Ideally I would like my weight to be at 155 lbs.  

Most of my life I've maintained my weight at 160 lbs.  That was my weight when I graduated from high school fifty-five years ago.  

Occasionally my weight has crept up to 170, at which time I cut back my consumption of goodies.

The most I ever weighed was 202 lbs.  I remember exactly when that was.  I was 18 years old, recuperating from a hernia operation and subsequent infections and two more surgeries.  I couldn't exercise in order to give my wound time to heal.  But I could eat and I did.  Whole bags of potato chips and Whitman's chocolates.  Yep, I stuffed my face and put on the weight.

Then one Saturday night I was bowling with my friend Lar and I split my pants. Time to go on a diet which I did.

Over the years since my weight has dropped to as low as 145 (too thin) and as high as 170.  

I am 6'3" so I can "carry" the weight nut I choose not to.  Both of my younger brothers tip the scales near 300 lbs.  I do not wish to go there.

I know why I slipped up this time.  I found frozen biscuits at the local supermarket which are as good as my Mother's.  Buttermilk biscuits.  Which I smother in butter.  Two biscuits a night, for the last three weeks.  The last time I put on weight so fast was when I had waffles for breakfast every day soaked in real maple syrup.  As much as I loved those waffles and REAL maple syrup, I had to give it up.  

In less than a month I am leaving for a ten day vacation to Los Angeles with my skinny Canadian friend Pat (I'll meet him in La La Land).  We do plan to be discovered so I have to get back to my fighting weight, starting today.  But first . .. . . . lunch.

7 comments:

  1. Ron - it's really really hard to change lifestyle with the abundance of everything around us in North America. I've had to be diligent with myself. I super rarely buy bread - gave up peanut butter, no cake or cookies in the house. Why - because I over indulge. So I'm simply better off without. It's like some people can have a drink or two and others have to finish the bottle. So I recognize that I'm weak willed and don't allow myself the temptation. Recently I started to use stevia if I want a little sweetness here or there. All plant - no calorie.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Bread (biscuits) is the culprit this time. A few years ago I weaned myself off of English muffins (with many puddles of melted butter) and I saw the pounds melt (no pun intended) away. I'll have to give up my daily recent daily consumption of buttermilk biscuits, delicious as they are, because they're turning me into a schmoo.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'd love to be at my high school weight! Good for you!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Jamie",
      Every now and then I slip but for most of my adult life I've been at my high school weight. Once I start slipping my appetite goes, mind over matter.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I remember you said you slimmed down doing the vegan thing. Time to revisit it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      When I hang around Pat, and mimic his vegan habits, the weight goes off. When I'm on my own, away from his disproving eyes when I'm gorging down on dairy products, meat and such, the pounds come back like magic.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. No more multi-layered cheese dip for the both of us !

      Delete