Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Christmases Past




Me in full work drag - Girard Bank Christmas Party 1979

At this time of year I often think of Christmases past.  This year I remember Christmas 1979.  

I worked at Girard Bank in center city Philadelphia, directly across from City Hall.  I was a trust operations manager (made sure the trust checks went out on time and were calculated properly - a job that is totally automated now).  

Gathering around the piano to sing Christmas carols at the bank Christmas party - 1979

Christmastime back then was a big deal.  At the first of the month we (bank employees) received a profit sharing distribution from the bank that could total over $1,000 or more.  Profit sharing?  What's that you ask?  Yet another relic of the past when employers valued their employees and showed it.  Then corporate greed took over by outsourcing jobs and eliminating profit sharing.  But digress again, climbing up on my soapbox. 

Four "bank angels" singing Christmas carols  1979

Christmas celebrations at the bank were always fun affairs.  On the designated day for our Christmas Party, everyone would bring in something to eat and spread it out.  Pollyanna gifts would be exchanged.  Carols would be sung.  Good cheer would be spread.  And we would get out early Christmas Eve.  Oh those were the days.

Lining up for the food at the Bank Christmas Party- 1974

This Christmas I go into work today (filling in for another co-worker).  I also work tomorrow Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I will share my Christmas celebrations this year with the grandparents who visit their relatives in Lewes but stay at the hotel because they can't take their grandchildren 24/7. All that energy kids have.  Were we EVER like that?  But I digress again.


Digging in at the bank Christmas Party - 1974
One nice thing about Christmas, not only to we celebrate it every year but we also get to relive memories of year's past.  

These days I celebrate Christmas alone at the hotel.  That's fine with me.  Silent night is supposed to be silent and it is when I'm at the hotel on Christmas Eve. Below is a photo taken of me (I think I had a timer, no one else was around) on Christmas Eve 2009.  I thought this photo was last year but it is five years ago.  Where of where does the time go?  Mark your records, I won't be here five years from now but if I am, then you will know a miracle has occurred.

Me at the hotel, Christmas Eve - 2009

I'll be talking to you again before Christmas but in case I don't, Merry Christmas to everyone!


11 comments:

  1. Ron,

    Well, Merry Christmas to you and many more. What's this "won't be around 5 years from now" nonsense. Who will I FaceTime with?

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      I hope I'm around five years from now but I think by this time next year, my situation will be quite different. Not sure what but I have "the feeling." My Mother had the same one and she was right.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Merry Christmas, Ron, and thanks for a wonderful post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      You're quite welcome! Always good to hear from you.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. The older I get, the more I crave peace and solitude. Your Christmas at the hotel sounds perfectly fine to me. Another enjoyable post, Ron. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jon. I find that I really appreciate peace and quiet the older I get. Looser clothes too. Have a wonderful Christmas in your Peace and quiet.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Once again (though one can't say it TOO often) have a very fine Christmas, Ron - and the same to whosoever shares it with you.
    (Greetings also from Blackso and Noodles!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Thank you. I wish you a wonderful Christmas with your feline friends. I'll be spending a quiet Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at the hotel.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ron, and here's yet one more special wish to you and yours on the day itself. Yuletide hugs and a tickle or two.

      Delete
  5. I just love photos from this time period.

    ReplyDelete