Thursday, December 25, 2014

Christmas Day 2014

Bill and Ron's 2014 Christmas cards - Our Gift to each other (no money - it's the thought that counts)


Good morning folks!  I hope you're having a wonderful Christmas Day.  Bill and I had our usual Christmas Day which is much like all of our other days, except that we exchange Christmas cards.  This is our special tradition.

Years ago I used to do up Christmas big time when I had a nephew and four nieces who were young and greedy for gifts.  Also I did the Christmas gift thing at work and with friends but I gave up that "tradition" years ago.  I felt like I was being pushed by the commercialization of Christmas to to the Christmas Shopping Thing so I got out of that rat race and never have regretted it since. I'm not knocking those traditions for others but it didn't work for us.

I got in late last night from work at the hotel.  Only five rooms rented; four couples and one single man.  I passed out Christmas gifts made by the owner of the hotel (two candy cane sleds filled with four candy bars and wrapped with a festive Christmas ribbon).   

Twas a quiet night at the hotel, which was just fine with me. When I left in the drizzly rain and mild temperatures I heard folks singing "Silent Night" at the nearby St. Peter's Episcopal Church.I took an impromptu video to share forever the true spirt of Christmas.  Even though I'm not formally religious I do (sometimes) get caught up in the drama of Christmas.  Hey, maybe there is something to Christmas after all. Don't quote me though.

This morning I took us for a drive.  One of the things I love about Christmas is how the roads are deserted.  Why can't they be like that all the time?  Never mind, I know the answer to that question.  

Usually on Christmas day I gather up old bread, cereal, crackers or whatever else (sliced fat off of my last beef stew recipe) for the sea gulls at Rehoboth Beach.  They're always there waiting for me and they DO appreciate my Christmas "gift" to them.  

On the way down to the beach I found a little unexpected gift of my own.  The top of my window shield is cracked.  I couldn't believe it.  A small crack but still cracked.  Great.  All the years I've been driving and never a cracked window shield.  Now for all that aggravation of arranging to getting it fixed.  I'll call my insurance company tomorrow to see if they'll cover it.  They'll be surprised to hear from me because I've never called them.  My luck they probably won't cover it.  Oh well, here we go again.

I hope everyone reading this meandering, Christmas Day blog of mine is having a wonderful Christmas Day themselves and don't received any unexpected "gifts" like I received this morning. 


13 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, it sounds like you had a wonderful day. We stay home and keep it low key. So much more enjoyable. In most states, car insurance covers windshield replacements, over the decades I have had a couple of them replaced - the last time it was done in the parking lot while I was at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Low key is how we like our Christmas celebrations. Of course if I'm invited to a party or dinner, I will consider (smile). but like you I find low key much more enjoyable. I've done the craziness too often in the past. Not looking forward to taking care of this window but what has to be done has t be done. I can't drive around with a cracked window shield. I'll make the call Monday to my insurance company.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,

    Some insurance companies have a rider on the policy (mine does) covering broken windshields so it doesn't come out of your deductible. Anyway, something about the holliday brings surprises like a cracked windshield. Yesterday I went to the laundry room downstairs and the floor was flooded. Looks like the main drain is clogged. Plumber is off until Monday unless its an emergency. I can wait until Monday rather than pay premium billing.

    Lar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lar,
      You could go to Homo Depot tomorrow and get some industrial strength Drano (comes in a yellow gallon bottle). Pour it in. Wait a bit. Presto! No more clog, and it costs $15 instead of $100!!! I use it on my pipes, no damage to them, and opened up drains on the cheap.
      Peace <3
      Jay

      Delete
  3. Merry Christmas to you and your spouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a low key day, too. Went to the museum to see the Forbidden City exhibition. It was nice. Fixed a nice dinner. Chilled out a lot.

    Most insurance these days (if you have more than minimal liability) covers glass. Mine is with no deductible all the way around! You could call the company claims line tonight, and probably get it fixed tomorrow or Saturday wherever you will be (they come to you). I just use the company associated with the insurance company (Saf-Lite, I think it is). They do good work. Takes about an hour.

    Have a great weekend!
    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I called this morning. I have $500 deductible so this one is on me. The guy (or gal) from Safelite will be out this Monday.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Our Xmas Day is over now, Ron - if I'd got any gift at all from anybody it would have been a surprise in itself but I've long been used to it. Relieved that's over then.
    Thanks for the video snippet. There's always that magical 'something' about the day that never fails to move one, a large chunk of it being, I think, nostalgia for those innocent times when we'd believe so easily the things that were told to us, and we perceived a simple black and white world where all could be categorised into 'right' or 'wrong', though I sometimes wonder if that world only really existed in my imagination retrospectively.

    I'd like to say that I'm pleased your Christmas went off without a hitch, were it not for your windshield - so I won't.

    Enjoy the rest of your holiday time - and I'll keep abreast of what you're up to right here. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      I too like to remember those innocent days were we believed what was told to us and viewed the world in black and white and right and wrong. As we mature we realize that the world and life is much more subtle and complicated. I like both. I has been an interesting journey.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. I really did like the 2 videos of you over the Christmas break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Larry. I'm getting in the habit of making those snippets. They're spontaneous, unrehearsed and fun.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. Removing stress is always a good thing to do. Glad you had a calm day, even with the "surprises." :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt,
      I like calm, especially at this time of my life. No stress and loss clothes.
      Ron

      Delete