Friday, October 10, 2014

The Power of the Blog

Suzanne, Ron and Joan - last night at the hotel


Last night at work I was again reminded of the power of the blog.  My blog specifically.

I've been blogging since late 2005.  Almost ten years!  Oh where does the time go?

About a year ago I received an e-mail from a couple of women who lived in a log cabin in northern New Jersey.  They were thinking about moving to southern Delaware, the Rehoboth Beach/Lewes/Milton area to be specific.  They had several reasons for considering moving the main one being (of course) TAXES.  Also the fact the Rehoboth/Lewes/Milton has a large gay couple population didn't hurt either (one of the reasons I moved too).  

I wrote back and gave them suggestions and told them if they ever came down I would be glad to show them around.

A few months later they did come down and unbeknownst to me, they checked into the hotel I work the front desk.  Maybe I blogged about this before, I don't remember but if I did, it's worth telling this story again.  

So as these two women were checking in one of them says "You look familiar!"  Of course, me being the humble pie person that I are, said "Perhaps you have mistaken me for some famous movie star." She said "Oh no, you look familiar from somewhere else." Then she said "I know!  You're Ron Tipton aren't you?"  Well, I couldn't deny the obvious because I am Ron Tipton.  Then I asked my Ellen DeGeneres line "And you are?" She said "We're Suzanne and Joan!"  Well, um . . . still didn't register. Then she explained who they were and I remembered.  

That was a year (or so) ago folks.  Now they have moved down here.  With all my medical drama last year, work, Bloggerpalooza, trip to Canada, etc.; we lost touch.  Then last night, as the guests flooded into the total for a Rehoboth Film Festival screening, again I was greeted with "There he is!  Ron!" After an initial dumfounded stare from me ("Who are these people?") I realized it was Joan and Suzanne, the Log Cabin in New Jersey Gals.

New friends folks, compliments of my blog.  Pretty good don't you think?  I have a very good friend in Pat from Canada.  I have several other good friends who I met through the Bloggerpalooza.  At least some of them still count me as their friends, the ones I haven't managed to offend or piss off.  

Suzanne and Joan now live at Five Points in Lewes.  I will contact my friends Margaret and Dianne from Sunland Ranch in Milton and we'll all go out to lunch or dinner sometime next week. By the way, don't you think it's odd I'm having an easier time making friends with the gals than with the guys down here?  Just a thought.


Joan and Suzanne

8 comments:

  1. nice looking couple. have a good time dining out next week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I hope I can introduce you to them sometime in the future. Joan and Suzanne are delightful!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I have never been disappointed when meeting friends met through my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here Mark! I've never been disappointed either. One would think there would be a weirdo or two Out There but hasn't happened with me . . . . yet. All very nice folks.

      Ron

      Delete
  3. Ron - frankly I think you should be voted best ambassador for Delaware. Not only for those you meet thru your blog but in your position at the front desk of Inn on the Canal!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pat. You're hired as my press agent.

      Ron

      Delete
  4. Oh I love stories like these! This is one of the best features of blogging: meeting new and exciting people to form a network far and wide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I often think of how much more shallow my life would have been had I not started blogging and got to know and met (some) of these wonderful bloggers. Someone else said it but it's true, all the bloggers I have met are really nice folks. Amazing, not an unpleasant person in the bunch. I hope to met many more bloggers in the future.
      Ron

      Delete