Monday, October 06, 2014

Supreme Court Punts on Same-Sex Marriage



While eating lunch today with my MSNBC TV wallpaper on as background I heard:

"The U.S. Supreme Court cleared the way Monday for legal same-sex marriages in five more states.

the court refused to hear cases from the states - - Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia, Wisconsin and Indiana - - seeking to keep their same-sex marriage bans in place."


Oh my, oh my, what are those folks who are trying to protect the institution of marriage going to do now.  What with all "the gays" now able to get married . . . . there goes the neighborhood.  

I was going to begin my next sentence with "meaning no disrespect" to those who genuinely hold religious views on the traditional marriage of (and I hate this term) ONE MAN, ONE WOMAN (which isn't in the Bible by the way), I say "get over it."  Everybody and I mean everybody should be equal under the law.  




If two people (and not brothers, uncle or nephew, or whatever "slippery slope" argument those opposed to marriage equality use) love each other and decide to get marriage to enable them to have the same protections and benefits under the law that heterosexual couples take for granted, LET THEM GET MARRIED.  For God's sake, don't we have more important things to worry about in this country other than preventing two people who love one another from getting married?  

Twenty years from now today's children will tell there grandchildren "Yes, there was a time when Uncle Bob couldn't marry his friend Frank." And the grandchild will ask "Why?"




I remember about fifteen years ago when I worked at a bank in Downingtown.  A young guy (gay) who worked for me asked me "Was it true that the police would arrest you for just being in a gay bar?"  I said "Yes, I've been in a gay bar when the police came in."  He said "Why?"  I said "Because we were gay."  He asked again "But why? Just because you were gay?  How could they do that?"  I said, "Because they could and they did."  Guess what, there are now five more states than can no longer legally justify preventing Jim and Joe and Mary and Alice from getting married.  Those states are:

Oklahoma
Utah 
Virginia
Wisconsin
Indiana


Bill and me yesterday - together 50 years, married one year - we lived to see it!

12 comments:

  1. And, because the Fourth Circuit Court ruled same-sex marriage legal in Virginia, there is a very good chance that South Carolina will suddenly become the Land of Equality, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bob,
      Bill and I were just talking about that on the way to dinner tonight. He thought South Carolina was one of "The Five." South Carolina is next. Then Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi. I am loving this!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. You can call it a punt. I call it a victory since I am now legally allowed to get married without going further than my deck!

    It affects 11 states, WOOHOO!!!! That's a victory, not a punt. Maybe a field goal, but not a touchdown! We're up to THIRTY!!!! 30!!! 30!!! 30!!!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Actually, my blog title was just a headline that I grabbed. I too think the Supreme Court's decision not to take on those five case is a great victory. The dominoes are falling. Don't you live in Virginia? Richmond? Okay Jay, time to get serious and get a mate. (smile)
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Woo hoo!
    It's a victory. Just watched Edith Windsor on the news. We can thank Edith for her part in this. Her case caused DOMA to fall. It's all moving forward from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fearsome Beard,
      I saw Edie Windsor too last night on the "Rachel Maddow Show." Isn't she awesome? So genuine and the perfect person to end legalized discrimination against same sex couples.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron,
    A victory for those living in the ultra conservative Commonwealth of Virginia, home of many unhappy biblical bumpkins who have condemned gay, lesbian and transgender individuals to the depths of hell. If a murder is committed we are supposed to turn the other cheek and as long as he/she repents and asks forgiveness all is well and they are heave bound. I've given up long ago trying to figure out the bible belt. Anyway, good news.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So Jack, are you going to get married now? I want to see the pictures. (smile)

      Ron

      Delete
  5. This is so good, Ron, I could hardly believe it myself when I heard it on our 5 a.m. news. I'm pleased beyond measure - and it surely must mean that a nationwide acceptance comes closer. One can only hope that those many nations with repressive legislation will see the direction in which they must turn if they are to progress. A terrific result!

    I suppose some of the nay-sayers and Bible-thumpers are coming out with things like "The next thing will be that people will be FORCED to marry their pets!" Well, shout all you want, losers, 'cos you've LOST!

    Btw: Is the topic really of such importance to the vast majority of people, even to most of those who don't like it? It seems to me that economic survival, terrorism, gun control and so many, many other things impact much more on people's lives than this. I reckon that only those with a lot of dosh and don't have to worry about where their next meal is coming from can have the 'luxury' of putting this issue as top prioroty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Bill and I are thoroughly enjoying watching all the naysayers against marriage equality try to cope with the basic fact that this is happening and all their predictions of dire consequences, doom and gloom are not coming to pass. It's still going to take quite a while for them to realize THEY.WERE.WRONG. To my dying day I'll never understand why some are so unhappy because of two consenting adults wanting the same equality that they take for granted. The only thing I can understand is that they fear if same sex couples marry then that makes it "alright" and their children may "turn." Of course there is always that "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" mentality. Now that so many in the LGBT community are not subscribing to that unwritten rule "we know you're gay, just don't tell us about it because you will embarrass us." Interesting times Ray, very interesting times.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, I'm only waiting for someone to say that this dreadful and scary Ebola virus is due to God's displeasure at gay marriage. It's bound to happen.

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      You can count on that!
      Ron

      Delete