Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Summertime in Delaware

Well folks, I just completed my five day marathon work schedule.  I got off yesterday after working three evening shifts and two day shifts.  Slowly recovering, getting myself back in synch.  

Today is Wednesday but it feels like Friday.  I usually work Wednesdays and Thursdays, 3 PM to 11 PM then I have off Friday and the weekend and don't go back to work until the following Wednesday.  I like that cycle, two nights a week then five days off.  Perfect for me.  I still want to work but not full time.

I go back to work next Wednesday only then next Friday, my co-worker Monica picks me up at 4 AM (!) and transports me to the Philadelphia International airport for my 7:29 AM flight to Buffalo, New York.  Pat will pick me up in Buffalo and we'll enter Canada by way of Niagara Falls. Then the next two weeks I drive Pat crazy in his minimalist house complaining that he doesn't have air conditioning or all the other creature comforts that I have accustomed myself to the past 72 years (get ready Pat).  Pat's worried that I'll freak out.  I'm not.  Seriously, I think I'll do just fine.  If Toronto does get a massive heat wave, I can always retreat to a hotel.

Summer continues down here in coastal Delaware.  Every day the vehicles stream down Route One in the shimmering heat (and rain last week), seeking to "get away from it all" at the edge of the continent in Rehoboth Beach.  Hello Atlantic Ocean!

The video at the beginning of this blog I took on June 22nd, before the big onslaught of vacationers to our beaches.  I won't dare go to Rehoboth Beach now until at least after Labor Day.  Last Saturday when I went to work traffic was backed up about six miles from Rehoboth Beach.  Thank goodness I was able to turn off on New Road to my job in Lewes, three miles north of Rehoboth Beach.

So folks, I'm just about ready for my big trip to Canada. I have my passport, I got my haircut today, I'll color my beard tonight.  Now for the BIG decision . . . . . what to wear.  Pat's telling me to minimize it.  But you know me, an outfit for ever occasion.  This is going to be tough folks.  I think I got it down to a week's worth of underwear and socks, one pair of short pants, one pair of long pants, two pullovers, two short sleeve shirts, one long sleeve shirt, and my toiletries.  Oh, and my Macbook Pro laptop.  And of course I'm taking my cameras (Flip video, Cannon Sureshot and my ever ready iPhone.)  I think I got my bases covered folks.  Here we go!

Before haircut this morning
After haircut this morning



16 comments:

  1. Hey Ron - great haircut!! Good before and afters. A 1.75 blade suits you. Hope you said hi to Gail for me. Thanks also for the meditative video at the start - so relaxing! Yep - the countdown is on - a week tomorrow - Buffalo.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      This is the haircut I'm most comfortable with and Gail is the best barber I've ever had, bar none!!!!!! And here I thought women barbers couldn't cut men's hair.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. sorry if this is a duplicate - my earlier one just disappeared. I don't know if you mentioned this in earlier posts on the trip but some recommendations. Make sure any credit/debit card you take with you has been told you will be in Canada for the time of your vacation (avoid dealing with fraud alerts). If you plan to use your phone for calls/texts/data - check and see if you cell plan allows you to add Canada coverage so you aren't charged a crazy minute by minute fee (I have AT&T - they let you add and then drop the plan - all within the same month). And I was just in Niagara, Toronto and London Canada (last week) - the heat/humidity can be bad. And the bridge crossing (both ways) was crazy busy (2 hours coming back on Peace Bridge) - so make sure you have a cushion of time when coming back to Buffalo to go home. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAK,
      Not a duplicate. I've had that happen to me too, post a comment and "where did it go? Shalll I risk a duplicate and post another one?"
      Thank you very much for the excellent suggestion of contacting my credit card company and informing them I will be visiting Canada. I will do that this morning. And I was concerned about using my cell phone in Canada. I'll have to call my phone company (Verizon) and ask them how I handle that. I am concerned about the heat and humidity. Pat's house doesn't have air conditioning. I need air conditioning. If need be I'll get a hotel room. I can't sleep in heat and humidity. I don't know how I did it when I was a kid. Thanks again for your comment and helpful advice. Have a great day!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. It seems like you have everything under control for your wonderful stay with Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Just about ready for my Canadian Adventure. So looking forward to it. It's been over twenty years since I "went someplace" for my vacation. And having Pat as a host, well, it just doesn't get much better than that. He's so easy going and comfortable to be with. We're a good match.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I never knew you were a beard-tinter, Ron. I've often thought about doing it but having heard that it looks so obvious (though you got yours passed me) and once it's been started it's got to be kept up ad infinitum - or at least until it's stopped and then it will be as conspicuous as one had hoped it would never be.
    But hang on - maybe when you said your were ooing to colour your beard you meant you were going to paint it green? - or pink? - or rainbow? (Now that's a thought!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Yes, I "Just For Men" my beard. The photo you see on this post, is what my beard looks like without coloring. My beard went gray/white almost overnight twenty years ago. Funny thing though, I don't have to do my hair. I've never done it and will not do it. My father never had a gray hair on his head until he died in 2000 at the age of 80. I have some gray hairs but my hair is basically the same as it has been my whole life. My father did have a gray/white beard when he grew one though. I hate to color my beard, such a pain but I do look younger with coloring. I don't do too much though, I leave some gray in rather than have it solid black, which as you say, looks so obvious. But you're right, once you start "it's got to be kept up ad infinitum." By the way, I saw the movie (on Netflix) "One Day" last night. Did you see it? I would be curious as to your take on it.
      Have a great day Ray!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I have exactly the same 'condition' as you, Ron - beard gone grey/white since a long time ago yet what remains on top doesn't have a strand of grey in it. And my father too was the same, as are/were my three brothers.
      Btw: Coincidentally, I too had a haircut this a.m., as I do every couple of months. (Oh, blow! That was hardly worth using the energy to even mention!)

      (And a fine day ahead to you also.)

      Delete
    3. Ray,
      I'm glad I don't have that snow white head of hair. My Mother didn't have white hair either, just some gray during the last two years of her life. My poor uncles (my fathers 10 brothers). They were always being accused of dying their hair but none of them had any gray or white. We're lucky Ray. Who wants to look like Santa Claus?
      Ron

      Delete
    4. Well, when I let my beard grow out - usually in Winter for extra 'warmth' - I do bear a passing resemblance to a lower-half-faced Santa. Ho ho ho!

      Delete
    5. Ray,
      I've been tempted to let my beard grow out but I would look like one of those disgusting Duck Dynasty guys. I don't want to go there.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. I was going to mention the cards and phone, but I'm a day late and a dollar short (I charge for advice, much like Spo!).

    It's OK to tint, but I like my shock of white! Been that way since I was about 45, and it beats my grandfathers and both brothers...bald and balding! Dad and I stuck with "early white"! HAHAHAHA

    You're going to have a wonderful time!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I notified my three credit card companies today. I also checked with Verizon because I don't want to get a surprise roaming charges bill when I return from Canada. I will turn off the roaming feature on my iPhone before I cross the border to Canada.

      By the way, you look just fine with your shock of white hair. I may just let my beard go natural eventually. I'm tired of coloring it. I only do it because Bill nags me about it. To me, it is what it is.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Heavens! The Queen Mum visiting Australia is less complicated and less ceremonial than your preps for going to Canada! I'm sure PM Harper is putting out the red carpet for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Pat's already told Mayor Ford his "friend Ron" will be arriving. I do make a splash don't I?
      Ron

      Delete