Monday, August 25, 2014

My Canadian Adventure Continues - Zippers

Yes folks, I did it.  I visited THE gay club in Toronto last night.  It's called Zippers.  I wasn't planning on going but My Host has never been to Zippers or any other gay bar (with the exception of his Philly visit last and that didn't really count for reasons that I can explain later).  I wanted to show my host what a fun place a gay bar is when the dancing begins.

Now folks, I haven't danced since . . . . . . um . . . the 1980's.  I wasn't sure if this old body was up to all those gyrations required to qualify to step on the dance floor and shake my booty.  Guess what?  After a few missteps I fell right into the groove.  Now granted I do the "Elaine Dance" (refer to the Seinfeld episodes where Elaine THINKS she can dance), I did it!  Of course My Host was a bit surprised by my energy and abandon but I cleared the dance floor when I did my Michael Jackson moon walk.   My Host even whipped out his . . . iPhone to video the massive display of ego he was witnessing right in front of his very eyes.  



Look closely folks, and you can see yours truly getting on down in his Mr. Rogers "It's All Good in the Neighborhood" tee shirt. How about those electric lights zapping all over me?  Way cool.

So what did I think of "Zippers"?

My Host and I out in front of Zippers last night


 I was impressed.  Only two complaints.  The drinks at $6.75 (a very modest gin and tonic, my Bar Drink) was a bit pricey.  And the piano player singing Broadway show tunes (what is this fascination of gays with Broadway show tunes anyway?) was in a word: AWFUL.  Loud isn't talent.  Other than those two minor distractions (and the hunky   Indian - or Muslin security guy), we had a wonderful time.  And even better, we didn't have to drive back to My Host's home, we took the trolley.  Ah yes, I remember the days when I first came out in Pittsburgh (1963) and I used to take the trolley home after a night at the A.V.A., THE Pittsburgh gay bar.  Back then after a night of shaking my booty I didn't ache as much as I did this morning.  Time marches on and I can still act like a fool but I am having a grand old time.


22 comments:

  1. shake that thang!

    honey, $6.75 for a gin-n-tonic is cheap; try a cosmo downtown in a philly bar for $10+!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      $10.oo for a mixed drink in a Philly bar? I won't be doing that anytime soon, that's for sure.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA! I love the video!!! I don't dance. I dare say my knees would collapse were I to try! Other than a nice slow dance with the right guy.

    It's great that you are having such a great time! A vacation to remember.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      My knees really aren't up to that dancing either. I was pushing it.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Impressive dancing, Ron! You have my admiration --and Mr, Rogers is always cool on a shirt (it's the law).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks George but I do dance the "Elaine Dance."

      Delete
  4. Well, blow me down! - just look at you go! There's no stopping you! - and I doubt if anyone would have dared. Must have been thoroughly exhilarating, as I know from experience. So Pat didn't join you on the floor? He must put it on his bucket list.

    Interesting that it happened to be to a Donna Summer record. Nearing the end of my own disco-dancing phase (and this shows how long ago it was) there was significant debate about whether her records ought to be boycotted, at least here in Europe, over her reported remark that "AIDS was a punishment from God", which she was to deny having said, trying to dispel the notion by doing a charity gig for AIDS sufferers. Even if there was nothing factual to the original rumour around that time (late 1980s) an unpleasant smell lingered for quite a while. I remember for those clubs which still played her records it virtually cleared the dance floor. Maybe in America, being nearer to the action, you were closer to what the truth was. Having said that, and able to listen to the song with ears now washed from the prejudice of the time, it really is a good record, as was her follow-up, 'I don't wanna get hurt'.

    Anyway, back to your gymnastics - we want to see you doing the splits next, with Pat as dancing partner - and, even more difficult, getting up from it afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      Pat did join me on the dance floor. He took the video of me "Elaine" dancing. When he saw me go into my gyrations, he probably couldn't believe what he was seeing so he took this video to record for posterity me making a fool out of myself. But guess what? I had a good time and I'll probably never see those people again and if I did, so what? As another commenter said in response to my blog post, we baby boomers want it all. Actually though, I'm not a baby boomer since I was born in 1941. Baby boomers were born after the war, 1946 but what the hey? I'm glad I can still cause a few ripples.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Ron, I've now seen 'Into the Storm' - http://raybeard.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/film-into-storm.html

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ray for letting me know. I'll check out your review as soon as I finish my blog post for today. The days are starting to run together here in Toronto.

      Delete
  5. Ron, it's obvious that Canada is really agreeing with you. I applaud you for having the courage to dance. I'll have to admit that my dancing skills are worse than Elaine's. I haven't been to a gay bar in at least ten years.
    By the way, I hate Broadway show tunes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Yes, this vacation, my first in over 25 years, is agreeing with me. So many new sights and seeing the way other people live. I am enjoying myself but I will be glad when I return home too. It's all good.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Anonymous5:09 AM

    You baby boomers are the most selfish generation to ever exist. You destroyed your own children's and grandchildren's future with your short-sighted selfishness and immaturity. And then you expect them to pay for your retirement????

    Can you baby boomers just hurry up and drop dead, please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, we want more. We're not done yet.

      Delete
    2. @anonymous - first, please have the cojones to sign your real name. wussie!

      second, I never had kids/grandkids, so I didn't "destroy" anything.

      third, "your short-sighted selfishness and immaturity" - why thank you! :-)

      fourth, "and then you expect them to pay for your retirement????" - I have no plants to retire, TYVM!

      fifth, "can you baby boomers just hurry up and drop dead, please?" - no, BUT YOU CAN! RIGHT NOW would be a great time, thanks!

      bwhahahahahahahahaha!

      Delete
    3. Thank you Anne Marie. I decided to publish one of the comments that I receive from trolls like this who hate. Interesting isn't it?

      Ron

      Delete
    4. Anne Marie,
      They're trolls. It's sad isn't it?
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I love zippers! The Alexander and Keith beer is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I'm sorry now that I didn't join you and Someone for a few libations at Zippers when you invited us after the rides at the Canadian Expo. I would have but my eyes were crossed after that last ride. Maybe next year.
      Ron

      Delete
  8. Never stop dancing, Ron. We love Zippers...especially on 80's night! And Toronto is our great lost love. Glad you're having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very pleasantly surprised with Zippers. And we were there on 80's night. Perfect timing. I was a little hesitant about getting on the dance floor after so many years. Pat was game and out on the dance floor so "why not?" I thought. Of course my dancing is on par with The Elaine Dance ("Seinfeld") but I enjoyed it. So what if my gyrations momentarily cleared the dance floor? All great fun.
      Ron

      Delete