Sunday, August 24, 2014

India Street Festival Toronto Canada 2014

Just down the street from where Pat lives is Gerrard Street.  This area of Toronto is called "India Town."  Guess why?  Lots of Indians (from Mumbai) live there (or course).  

I've already taken advantage of our close proximity to this interesting and wonderful ethnic enclave of Toronto, Canada by having several meals at Indian restaurants in India Town.  I do like Indian food and since I am going totally vegan while I'm visiting Toronto, India Town offers me many places to eat vegan.

As luck would have it, this weekend is the annual India Town Festival.  We were going to go out and get a falafel at Ali Baba's but Pat was sure he would lose his parking place in front of his house.  We decided instead to take a three block walk down Pat's street which leads right into the heart of India Town.  The above video was the street scene which awaited us.

Folks, I continue to be impressed with the cultural diversity of the inhabitants of Toronto.  I keep trying to imagine such diversity in my little enclave of Rehoboth Beach. We have "the gays" (who know their place) and the "illegals", (Hispanics).  

I work in the lovely little town of Lewes.  Can you imagine an event like I witnessed last night taking place on the streets of uptight Lewes?  Heck, we have more than a few folks in Lewes getting all bent out of shape because Irish Eyes plays music after 9 at night.  Ah yes folks, that's what I'm going back into bless their hearts.  They mean well but sooooo White Bread.  Last night was Multi-grain.

And my Canadian Adventure continues . . . . . . . 

8 comments:

  1. Marvellous video, Ron - it captures the atmosphere very well though it's got to be a pity that it can't transmit the enticing spicy fragrances there undoubtedly were. But I can just about imagine the agreeable teasing of your olfactory sense. This is the holiday of your life and it seems it just couldn't get any better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You're absolutely right, the video doesn't capture the exotic aromas of India Town (mostly curry I have to admit). And you're also right that I am having a wonderful holiday. It's been a long time.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Anonymous3:09 PM

    So how many impromptu games of street hockey have you and Pat played? And I noticed in one of the videos Pat has picked up your tendency to say "folks"!!! Made me smile.

    "Canuck"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Canuck,
      No street hockey yet but plenty of other activity. Today we were at Kew Park by Lake Ontario.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I can't handle Indian food at all. But I have nothing against it! The festival looks like fun, though!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Ah loves Indian food!
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I love your play on word "They mean well but so white bred. Last night was multi-grain"!
    Enjoy your last week in magical Toronto!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Actually I had a typo there, I meant to say "white bread". Freudian slip but actually "bred" applies also.
      Ron

      Delete