Saturday, August 16, 2014

Day One - Canada Adventure

Toronto, Canada


Day One on my Canada Adventure is coming to an end folks.  Another busy, interesting and activity filled day.  Kudos to Pat, my tour director.  I hope he doesn't wear himself out keeping me entertained.


The house where Pat grew up

Briefly, what we did today was Pat drove me around Toronto showing me all the different places where he lived. Toronto is a vibrant and diversified city.  Much different than any American city I've visited or lived in.


We're still on a vegan diet and I'm not hurting for it.  In fact my body is saying "Thank you!" for not ingesting animal meat and artificial ingredients.  I'm planning on eating nothing but vegan for the whole two weeks of my visit to Canada.


The Big Carrot meal

This evening we went bowling.  Wow, was that ever different.  The last time I bowled was in 1966.  I was a fairly good bowler back in the day.  Not tonight though.  I guess I was trying to show off and all I was getting was gutter balls.  My first game I scored 45!  Second game I beat Pat, I scored 104 to his 102.  I couldn't believe how lame I was bowling.  I couldn't get my steps right.  We also played some pool. At that game I was much better and more relaxed.  And another thing about the bowling.  It cost $32.00 for the first hour!  First . . . the cost. What's up with that?  Then by the hour?  What's UP with THAT?  We did have "Cosmic Bowling" which was fun but man oh man, bowling wasn't like when I used to live bowling back in the Sixties when I think I paid $2.00 a game, unlimited.  


Pat, Cosmic Bowling - Expensive


Tomorrow Pat is going to church and his regular yoga session.  I advised him to take up his regular routine and not to worry about keeping me entertained.  I have my MacBook Pro laptop and blogs to catch up on.  Plus, Pat's house is very comfortable.  He was worried I would miss all the "amenities" of a regular house but I don't.  I didn't think I would.  No problems so far on that score.  And the weather has been absolutely fabulous, in the low 70's.  


Pool Hustler

So far so good folks.  Tomorrow will be a quiet day then Monday we meet up with Urspo and Someone.  Now that is guaranteed to be a fabulous time.  Those two gentlemen are a delight.  I just with Doug Taron was with them.  

Good night folks!

12 comments:

  1. Be careful, you could get use to that healthy plant based eating plan. I am glad you are both having a wonderful time! Life is good and I know you are both happy to be together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I can't tell you how much this new vegan eating is agreeing with my body! I brought my anti-acid pills with me but haven't had to use them once since I've been here. My body is saying "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" every time I eat a vegan meal. I wish I had the opportunities Pat has in Toronto to get vegan meals outside his home. I would prepare them at home but it is a lot of trouble. Pat eats out almost exclusively. The Big Carrot last night was especially good. Cafeteria style, you choose what and how much you want to eat.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron,
    So happy that you're enjoying the trip. It is always enjoyable when you're with someone who likes to do the same things you do, and quite inventive. I would have never thought of bowling as entertainment for a visitor. Pat is clever. Day one is over, on to day two. Enjoy.
    Jack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      We're still adjusting the living patterns but we haven't had one fight or argument even though I did awake Pat yesterday when I put up this table for my computer.
      Pat and I just play it by ear what we do for daily activities. That's the way we've always done it since we met a year ago last year on August 16th. It always has worked out so far. No pressure, no boredom, no stress. Only problem is that we sometimes stay up too late. We are both old men after all. We usually don't get enough sleep but we're adjusting for that too. Day Two, here we come!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful first day! But $32 to bowl?!?!?! I fear I would not have been willing to foot that bill!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Actually it was a total of $41.00 with the shoes. A dumpy bowling alley too and the automatic score keeping wasn't always accurate. And for just an hour. I couldn't even relax bowling knowing the meter was ticking. WTF? This is the new bowling? No wonder no one bowls anymore. I used to live for bowling back in the Sixties.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. I'm enjoying the updates and it's obvious that you're having a great time. I applaud you for sticking to the vegan diet, but I would sneak out and have a hamburger every once in awhile.......
    The photo in the bowling alley is fantastic - it looks like a winter snow scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Yes, I am enjoying this vacation very much. First, it is always good to step out of one's regular routine to get a better perspective on life. Secondly, I like trying something new. Sometimes it doesn't always work out but this time it is. I love Canada and seeing a culture that is so much different than where I live in the states. One thing I especially notice is that the political tension that we live with everyday in the states is absent from this big and diverse country.
      I would like to sneak out for a burger but I don't think Pat would permit it. He's keeping a pretty close eye on me to make sure I don't stray from a vegan diet. He did relent just a tad last night. We were at an Indian restaurant and I had Naan bread which the waiter said had "a little butter" in it. First time I had Naan bread, it was delicious! On to Day Three.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. The thought of that all vegan sustenance (when all the fore-thought and trouble is done by someone else) excites me almost as much as seeing Toronto itself.
    You've got off to a flying start (literally!). May the remainder of your Canadian sojourn continue in that way..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      The vegan diet continues to work! Actually, it is quite delicious. It's going to be interesting to see how much weight I lose.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Ron,

    You should whip up a vegan meal at Pat's hoose, er, house!

    :-)

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy,
      We were planning on doing that very thing! Thanks for the reminder.
      Ron

      Delete