Monday, August 11, 2014

Broken Dish

My favorite dish, gone


A sad day here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  I broke my favorite dish.

It was an accident.  I was reaching for a dish behind my favorite dish and damn, that dish fell on my favorite dish that I had taken out of the cabinet for my evening meal.  

I had my favorite dish, a one of a kind, can't replace, clear blue small dish, on my granite counter top, soon to hold three scoops of my favorite homemade potato salad.  I reach in my kitchen cabinet, which is FULL OF TOO MANY DISHES, and pull out another small clear glass dish to place a hamburger bun.  CRASH!  Right on my favorite dish.

Now folks, you know me.  I do have a tendency to hoard.  I prefer to think of myself as not throwing anything out.  I have dishes up the ring yang.  I look for more dishes when I make my thrift shop forays, not like I need more dishes.  

The irony here folks, is that this blue dish was my FAVORITE DISH.  It is the dish I use twice a day.  You know how  you have a favorite tie even though you have hundreds to choose from (or bow ties, whatever your persuasion)?  This blue dish was my favorite.  

Bill and I don't have sit down meals.  He eats at different times than I do.  He has his favorite bowl (with several seismic cracks in it by the way) and I have my favorite dish.  


A scene you'll never see at Casa Tipton-Kelly


Yes folks, it's a sad day in Mudville today.  Casey struck out.  That potato salad just didn't taste the same with that flowery Mexican plate I put it on.  

I'll look for another blue dish but I've been looking for years for a backup blue dish.  I'm like that cake in MacArthur Park, it "got rained on and I'll never have that recipe again"

Tell me about it.

9 comments:

  1. Commiserations, Ron (said without the trace of a smile). I know exactly what you mean by getting so attached to objects that when they go, for whatever reason, it feels that part of one's life has been taken with it. I hope that before too long it'll have stopped nagging at you.

    Btw: In your new lead photo, just how many LH digits has Pat got? (Lucky fellow!) - not to mention the 'third eye' on the other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      It is so ironic that I broke that one plate. Of all the plates I have. And I didn't drop the plate but I dropped another plate on it. Weird.

      To answer you question about how many digits does Pat have (the normal ten) and eyes Lar has (only two). That distortion happens when I'm taking a panorama photo with my iPhone and the subjects move. At first I was a bit put off by the distortions but now I think they're rather interesting. By the way, Pat's not cross-eyed, he's just goofing around.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. It is indeed a sad day when anyone loses a favorite anything. I, too, have cabinets overloaded with dishes and cups - - but I have a few special favorites that I couldn't live without. Perhaps, if you keep searching, a twin or a reasonable facsimile will show up. Everything in the world has a twin somewhere. Including me (good gawd - - that's a horrifying thought).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      The irony is that I didn't just drop that dish but dropped another dish on it. What are the odds of that ever happening again. And of all the too many dishes that I have and haven't used for years, I lose my FAVORITE dish. Oh you can be sure I'm on the lookout now for a replacement dish.
      I hear what you say about we all have a twin somewhere in the world. I've often believed that to be true. When I first met Pat I was pleasantly surprised at how much his personality was like mine. And people have even told us, without prompting, that we look "like brothers." I think that's because he has a prominent nose and a small chin like me. The one thing I know for sure, I've never mat anyone else in my life who I am so compatible with. I know how he thinks and he knows how I think, we're that similar. Not totally but Pat is about the closest that I'm going to find someone like me. Isn't it interesting to think Jon that you may someday find someone just a similar to you? That would be wonderful and I hope it happens for you Jon.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Hey Ron - I have a favorite dish too - it's super old as my mother bought it when I was a kid. Chances are it'll outlast me as it's made of melamine. It was nice and white on the eating side (now super scratched and discoloured) and mauve on the outside. It's oblong so useful for a lot of things. But I've made sure I have dinner plates, dessert plates and bowls so there'll be a semblance of normal living while you are here. I bought a small mug today in case you would like coffee or tea. I do everything out of a Barcelona glass. Well we could look around while you are up visiting and who knows we might find a duplicate - or something you would like maybe nearly as much. Oh - and thanks for the cool pic of Larry and myself!

      Delete
    3. Pat,
      Of all the dishes I broke, it would have to be that one. I'll manage. I love that picture of you and Lar. How did you get your eye to go like that? Cool!
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey, Ron, I have a favorite bowl. It is blue pottery. I love that bowl. No reason, I just do. And another thing... I don't think I've told you this... My uncle's name was Ronald Coleman McCombs. He was named for my grandmothers favorite actress. Not sure how old he would be, but I imagine around 74 or so. So you aren't the only one! LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,
      One time I was in the checkout line at the Acme supermarket and I noticed the older guy who was bagging my groceries had a name tag with "Ron" on it. I asked him how he got the name. He said "Ronald Colman", he was my Mom's favorite actor but no on knows who he is today." Small world. Now there are three guys named after the long gone matinee idol Ronald Colman.

      Thanks for sharing!

      Ron

      Delete