Friday, August 15, 2014

Arrived in Canada

I'm here ! I'm in Canada.  I'm at my friend Pat's home.  It has been a long day folks.  

I was awake at 2:30 AM.  I wanted to get up at 3 AM to be ready for my ride (Monica, my co-worker) who was arriving at 4 AM.  We had a two plus hour drive to the Philly International airport for my 7:29 AM flight to Buffalo, New York. 


Monica and I had a pretty straight shot to Philadelphia that early in the morning. However, once we got to the airport, it was a busy hub.  Since I haven't traveled since 2000, I was expecting the worse.  I have to say everything went pretty smoothly.  I didn't even have to take my shoe or belt off.  Big whoop!  However, I did have to do a lot of traveling around to check my bag and go through several lines.  But overall, I think things went pretty smoothly.



My prop plane was tiny.  Talk about being cramped.  

I'm just thankful the trip to Buffalo only took one hour and ten minutes.  When I went down to the baggage claim area this is what was waiting for me:

That Pat, what a jokester. He had read my blog post about being greeted this way when I won a trip to Disney World and was met at the airport by a chauffeur with my name on a big sign like this.  Made me feel important I tell you  

At first I didn't realize the sign was for me.  Me?  I'm important?  Well, I was flattered. Thank you Pat.

Since we were in Buffalo, we HAD to stop in Wegmans.  However, it was too early to eat so we just walked through the store to say we "were at Wegmans in Buffalo."  Oh how I wish we had a Wegmans in Gayberry (aka Rehoboth Beach, DE).


We did walk around a bit in Buffalo and did decide to have a light lunch. We had the best ever veggie wrap and smoothie at a small restaurant with a bongo playing man outside.  I took a video of him which I will post in a future blog, it's too late tonight to upload that video to YouTube.

Then we were on our way for the two hour drive to Toronto.  We had no problem crossing the border.  The border guard asked me why I was going into Canada (after I showed him my passport, I no longer have a virgin passport). I was tempted to same something funny and clever but thought better of it and just said "visiting my friend."  

In a little under two hours we saw the skyline of Toronto in the distance.  And we saw the traffic coming out of Toronto.  It looked like a lava flow. And I thought Route One was bad one a summer weekend.  

We eventually got into Toronto and arrived at Pat's lovely little home in Tiny Town.


Pat took me on a tour of his house and then it was time for dinner.  He took me to the Green Earth restaurant.  We're stuffed. Tomorrow we eat half of what we had today.

We both pooped.  Time to take a shower and go to bed.  Goodnight, the adventure continues.



14 comments:

  1. bless monica for making the drive! she is such a sweetheart!

    from everything I have read, early morning flights are the best for "security theater"; i.e., no issues.

    glad you arrived safely; now go out and have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      My sentiments exactly! Bless Monica for getting up so early (and she worked the 3 to 11 shift the night before and was working yesterday's 3 to 11 shift too). Thank you Monica.
      You're right Anne Marie about early morning flights best for "security theater". I had to go through several security obstacles but everything went smoothly. I got the impression that the security was necessary (which it is) but that the airport (or TSA) personnel was doing everything to make the ordeal as efficient as possible under the circumstances. Now for two weeks of pure relaxation and vacation. That is if Pa doesn't throw me out for disrupting his "efficient" routine. You know what they say about "old men set in their ways."
      Ron

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you made it safely. The worst is over and the best is yet to come. I love Pat's "Tipton" sign.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Jon. I was so worried that I would have a bathroom issue but it didn't happen, thank you Jesus ("Jesus" just being a colloquial expression for those "Anonymous" readers of this blog who will point out that I am not religious). That was a nice gesture on Pat's part with the "Tipton" sign.

      Delete
  3. Ron,
    It feels funny commenting to you when you're in a foreign country. Do you feel any different? Does Toronto feel "foreign"?

    I'm glad you made it safely. For me the scariest part of the trip would be getting to the airport. When I lived in the Philly area I flew quite a few times out of Philadelphia International. The times I flew seemed to coincide with rush hour so the trip to the airport was always a hassle, whether being driven by a friend or going by airport limo. These days I prefer to take the train if possible.

    Anyway, have a wonderful time, enjoy the change of scenery and come back refreshed with fond memories so you'll want to do it again.
    Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack,
      Does it feel funny being in a foreign country? Not really except that I when I see one of those red leaf maple flags my first thought is "Why are they flying that flag?" I'm so used to seeing American flags, it's a bit of culture shock to realize that there are other countries in this world.
      Philadelphia International was just as crazy as I remembered it from the 1980's when I used to use it to fly out of there to Boston on my way to Provincetown. I thought I would have an advantage yesterday with my flight leaving so early. Boy was I wrong. Hard to believe all those other people got up as early as I did to catch their flights.
      I like the train but the cost is about the same as flying and the time takes much longer plus you have to make so many connections. Traveling is definitely a hassle but all in all, my experience wasn't too bad yesterday.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. You and Pat have nearly identical smiles. Does that indicate similar senses of humor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we do Geo., you noticed. :)

      Delete
  5. Yes, now that the worst is over, you can relax and enjoy your fabulous time with Pat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Yes, the stress is over. A full day yesterday and another today. Pat is a fabulous tour director. I just hope I don't wear him out.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. Glad you made it with no problems. Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. That we are doing.
      Ron

      Delete
  7. I am glad your flight experience was good! Gotta love it when it's smooth like that. Along with the rest of the trip up. I know you guys are going to have a grand time!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Another very busy day today. I hope I don't wear Pat out. I love Toronto!
      Ron

      Delete