Saturday, August 02, 2014

More Adventures of a Hotel Front Desk Clerk



As regular readers of this fabulous (my opinion of course) blog know I work part-time as a hotel front desk clerk at a small, exclusive (and very expensive) boutique hotel in the first town in the first state.  

I am always reluctant to write about my job lest I get into trouble with my boss (the hotel owner) writing about hotel guests.  Just as my friend and fellow blogger Dr. Spo is reluctant to write about his job as a head shrink, lest he piss off run afoul of his bosses.  But sometimes I just have to share.  Now with no names I will recount last night's experience.

Last night was the first night of my five day marathon work schedule.  My normal schedule is two nights a week (Wednesday and Thursday).  However, this week I'm filling in for one of vacationing employees so I will be working this weekend, perhaps the busiest of the summer.  Pray for me.

You know folks, as long as I've been in the hotel business (eleven years now), I never cease to be amazed at the new requests that are made of me.  

Last night I get a request from a guest.  He called and said "Could you send up a new mattress? The one we have now is BROKE"  

Um . . . . . I answer "No" with my mouth agape.  What?  The guest thinks I have mattresses stored in the back with extra towels and pillows?

I asked what the problem was.  He said his wife said the mattress had a "dip" in the center.  I told him I couldn't replace his mattress.  I was the only hotel employee on that night which surprised him. He thought I had someone from "housekeeping" who could supply him with a new mattress.  

That's it folks.  There was a lot more to the story (even more bizarro, he wanted to switch mattresses with another room) but this was the gist lest I get into trouble with the hotel for even telling this much.  Yep, "send up a new mattress." 

Right away sir!

You know, I have a sneaky suspicion I was punked last night. 



9 comments:

  1. ?????

    weirdo (the guest, not you).

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no animal dumber than the general public. And apparently stray hotel guests!

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      I tell myself in the eleven years I've been working with the public as a hotel front desk clerk, I've heard just about every question there and then one comes along with a whole new question. Then I think they can't get any more absurd but they do. It's a sure bet.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I don't have a comment about this post. I just saw your "keep on trucking" video. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      Good verbal lesson with the "Keep on Trucking" video, when life slams you down just get back on that wheel, after a pause of course to figure out what just happened.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Do you ever set limits/say no viz. basically tell people 'no"? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Spo,
    Actually, I do say "No." Last night I said "No" twice to this guest's request for exchange his mattress for a new one. I am quite aware that we in the hosptiality industry are never to say "No" but I do anyway, Lately anyway. No dancing around the answer either, I just said "No, I'm not doing that." You would be surprised at what some people ask and expect from a hotel front desk clerk. Fortunately these occasions are fairly rare but sometimes they do run in streaks. However, this is a first to ask to "bring a new mattress up."
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. I run into hotel beds that feel like an elephant has spent the past six months in the middle of them - but I have never asked the desk to send up a fresh one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      I thought I had gotten just about every request there was but this was a first. I've also had some well used hotel mattresses but never, NEVER would the thought go through my mind to ask the front desk to send up a new one.
      Ron

      Delete