Tuesday, July 01, 2014

World - Watch Out!


How my passport arrived it the mail yesterday - a pleasant surprise - less than a month after I applied for it


Yesterday, wonder of wonders, I finally received my passport.  Watch out world!


I look fat in this shirt but that's actually the wind blowing my light seersucker shirt (sure it is)


Actually, watch out Canada.  I got my passport so I could visit my friend Pat in Canada next month. 


My wild and crazy friend Pat

My only foreign travel in my previous 72 years was also to Canada. That occurred in 1966.  The occasion was our (me and Bill) "honeymoon."  Bill and I drove up through New England, crossed over into Canada, through Toronto coincidentally which is where I'm going to visit this time but for totally different reasons. Back then, before the threat of terrorism ruled our lives, one didn't need a passport to visit our neighboring country.  Alas, these days eventually one will probably need a passport to visit Home Depot.


That's some big falls! (1967)

During our visit to Canada in 1966, we visited the Big Three: Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa.  We ended our "honeymoon" by visiting Niagara Falls, which much to my surprise, I was very impressed with that big waterfall.


My slide photo I took of Niagara Falls from the Canadian border in 1967 - one of my all time favorite photos - I had this photo framed and it is hanging in my bathroom

For this visit to Canada, I will be going alone.  I'll meet Pat in Toronto.  While in Toronto, we will rendezvous with Dr. Spo and Someone 



who will also be in Toronto attending their annual Shakespeare Festival.  A jolly time will be had by all I'm sure.


Me (in the center of the bridge) looking at the Niagara rapids - 1967
Bill will hold down the fort here at Casa Tipton-Kelly.  After I return from Canada, Bill will take off for his hometown in Toccoa, Georgia.  He doesn't need a passport for that trip.  At least not yet.


A much younger Ron at Niagara Falls 1967 (I….. still have that shirt)

16 comments:

  1. I take it then, Ron, (Says I, stating the obvious) that you've never been outside your continent. (Though I haven't either, apart from being born somewhere - India - which I don't remember). I hope you haven't given up hope that you'll one day be able to cross one of the oceans.

    Your photo of you at Niagara compels me to mention that, but for a mere two years we might have met. Or we COULD have (though hardly likely) if in 1969 I'd taken the excursion there which I was booked for from New York, but chickened out because I was alone and had just been threatened for money in NY and was too scared to go out alone, at least until I met an old English tourist couple who let me accompany them. But I've mentioned all this before in my own blog of some years back.

    Anyway, enough about me. Pleased that the wheels are running smoothly in preparation for your own trip a little northwards. Looking forward to your report - complete with pics of Someone + Harper's Other Dad.
    Btw: Hope Pat managed to get to see the dentist after having that photo (with festive beads) taken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ray,
      You are correct in that I've never been off the North American continent. I always meant to visit England and Europe but the years just flew by. Bill at one time said he wanted to visit Germany and Austria again but, somehow, he never got around to it and now it's too late (so he says for him "I'm too old now"). And then the other problem I had (like you), I didn't want to travel alone. My friends who were willing to travel couldn't afford it and those who could afford the expense didn't want to travel with me (they know who they are). But now, with Pat, my Canadian friend who is in about the same economic circumstance as I am, I may finally be able to travel. Where exactly do you live in England? I plan to visit London and then take a motor drive throughout England. I would like to visit my ancestral roots in the Midlands; Shropshire for my Tipton roots and Glossop for my maternal ancestral roots. Something I've always wanted to do all my life and maybe now is the time before I get too old. Ailments are starting to creep up on me so it's now or never.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I'm on the south coast, Ron - just 20 mins by train from England's gayest town, Brighton (where I actually used to live, 1993-2000). Do let me know if it ever comes to you visiting these shores, though I will need good notice so I can employ professional cleaners to scrape the years-accumulated dirt away and banish the cobwebs.
      I hardly know our Midlands at all, only having been through Shropshire once on the train about 15 years ago, and just knowing the name of Glossop. But still, if you do manage it we simply MUST meet up.

      Delete
    3. Thank you Ray. I would love to visit you and the Brighton area of England should I ever visit England. And I do intend to visit England. This is something I've always wanted to do all my life. My only problem is that I could never get anyone to go with me. Pat is reluctant but I think I can talk him into making the trip. And of course I will give you plenty of notice. Thanks again. By the way, if you don't mind, send me your address. You can send it to my e-mail address: ronaldtipton@gmail.com.
      Thanks!
      Ron

      Delete
    4. I'll do that, Ron. Thanks for being interested enough to ask for it.

      Delete
    5. You're quite welcome Ray. I am serious about visiting England and if I do, I will definitely make the trip to Brighton.

      Ron

      Delete
  2. check your slide photo against the current skyline - waaaaay overdeveloped, as you will see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      I haven't seen the current skyline. I will check. I do remember how impressed I was with Niagara Falls though. I wasn't prepared to be impressed because Niagara Falls was sort of a joke, the honeymoon destination of so many but when I got there I was truly impressed.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Hey Ron - first of all - Happy July 4th to you and all the Americans reading you blog. Today is our version of July 4 th - Canada Day July 1. So many of our holidays similar times. I am so looking forward to introducing you to some good eating establishments and interesting parts of the city while you are here. I'm only concerned with your comfort staying in my monasticish abode. But not to worry - if it doesn't work I'll get you a hotel room.

    A lot has changed since you've been to Toronto last. In fact I think the city is changing dramatically every 5 years.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      Very much looking forward to visiting Toronto again, first time in over 40 years.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. You are so damn lucky. International travel with Spo, et al.

    Peace <3
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jay,
      Anytime I get to spend with Dr. Spo and Someone is my lucky day.
      Ron

      Delete
    2. I am so happy you will be coming to Canada! It remains one of my favorite places; I never tire going. I hope you enjoy it !

      Delete
    3. Dr. Spo,
      I know I will, especially since we will be meeting up with you and Someone.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. Anonymous10:32 AM

    Happy Golden Anniversary Ron and Bill!

    ~ The Canuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canuck,
      Thank you so much!
      Ron

      Delete