Sunday, July 27, 2014

Wolves and Sheep



You know I figured out a long time ago that this world was made up of wolves and sheep.  When  you're born into this world, you're either a wolf or you're a sheep.  You either take or you're taken.

I guess one could equate wolves and sheep with good and evil.  But I think this equation is a bit more complicated than that.  

Both wolves and sheep seek to survive.  Wolves are made that way, aggressors.  Sheep are made the way they are too, to be meek and submissive.  

If you're born a sheep you quickly figure out the best way to survive is to stay in the middle of the mob (what a gathering of sheep is called).  Stick your neck out and some wolf is going to take you down.  

Wolves don't look at you as an individual put only part of a mass of meat, to be eaten.  They have no feeling other than to take.  And there are always a mob of sheep around, with some sheep hanging around the edges of the mob, ripe for the picking. 

I'm a sheep.  I don't take.  I used to hide in the middle of the mob, hoping the wolves circling the sheep would miss me.  So far so good.

I've had some close calls though.  A few times I thought I was with other sheep and they turned out to be wolves in sheep's clothing.  You all know those folks don't you?  



You think they're one of you and they're not.  They're wolves only out to eat you.

Now I'm not sending a cryptic message to anyone here.  I'm proud to say that my friends today are all sheep like I am.  Wise sheep, but sheep all the same.  They're not out to eat someone else.  I've known those wolves and I've eliminated them out of my life.  

But, every day my phone rings.  Usually the caller ID says "Out of Area".  Oh my, who could that be?  Oh yes, it's another wolf wanting to "help" me.  Calling me out of the blue to "help" me.  Oh sure.  

As I said, these days I have great neighbors, co-workers and wonderful friends.  How lucky am I? I even have some relatives who still like me after I got married to my same sex partner.  

But I still have to be on my guard.  Each day I open my e-mail, there's another "free" offer for me. Another phone call.  Or someone, who I don't know, who is going to coat my driveway cheap or wants me to contribute to his college fund, "just buy this magazine subscription."  

Even the ads on TV who promise you amazing results if you only buy their product.  Politicians who promise you everything if you only vote for them.  Beware, make sure you're not buying from a wolf or voting for a wolf.  They're all over, sometimes in sheep's clothing.


So folks, just remember that although a wolf sometimes is beautiful and exciting, they will devour you if you let them.


8 comments:

  1. I like to think of myself more of a llama ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Gradients. Shades of gray when I'm trying to make the world black and white. :)

      Ron

      Delete
  2. there are also a few aardvarks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      I daresay.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. I can be either; it depends on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      They walk among us. Beware.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron

    I wonder if the ratio of wolves to sheep has increased over the decades.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      I think the ratio stays about the same but at times it seems as if the wolves are about to take over.
      Ron

      Delete