Sunday, July 06, 2014

We Can Make the World Stop

I was going to write about my impending trip to Canada the last two weeks of August but I happened to hear this song on my Pandora station and I just had to find a reason to post it on my blog. I LOVE THIS MUSIC!

And you know what folks?  The title of this song says it all.  We literally can make the world stop.  Just think about it.  Have you ever wanted anything bad enough that you would do just about anything to achieve that goal?  I have.  I have achieved almost all of my goals in life.  At the age of 72 I have achieved them.  I am so happy, satisfied and content.  

Seventy-two - that adds up to "9".  Nine is my lucky number.  I was born on November 9th, 1941.  Add that date up and you come to 9.  Add my home address up and I come to 9.  But I digress (I have a thing with numbers).

Wasn't I one ugly baby though?

I've often thought during my life that I could achieve just about anything I set my heart on.  Oh sure, I've had my setbacks but who hasn't.  The important thing to remember, don't let the setbacks  set you back.  Just keep going forward.  

You have to keep smiling no matter what setbacks.  Never give up!

A few days I marked my 50th anniversary of my relationship with a wonderful man who is now my husband, Bill Kelly.  A more devoted and loving individual I could not find in a thousand lifetimes. And we continue.

Bill and I on our wedding day July 2, 2013 in Georgetown, DE

I live in a wonderful area of the country.  An area ("near the water") where I always dreamed that I would someday live.  

I have a wonderful home that I also dreamed of my whole life.  From my earliest memory, growing up in very humble circumstances, I always wanted to live in a "nice home."  I do now folks.  Not a mansion or a luxurious estate by the seaside but just what I wanted for this time of my life.  Our house is in a nice neighborhood, wonderful neighbors, mild climate and a wonderful backyard (where I should be now on this beautiful day) where I can putter around to my heart's content.


Home Sweet Home - Casa Tipton-Kelly, Milton, Delaware

I have a wonderful job.  Oh sure, not perfect but pretty damn good if I do have to say so. Great co-workers, great manager, smart, generous and understanding owner….what more could I ask for?  Well, maybe a raise but I'm thankful for the job.  I like the work and I like the guests I get to meet.

Mike (my manager) and Robert (my co-worker) at the hotel - one of my impromptu sneaky shots - they're used to it


My health is good, relatively speaking for a 72 year old geezer.  Sure, I've had my bouts with kidney stones and a major interaction with prostate cancer but I am on the road to recovery now.  My prognosis looks good for many more years of stirring the pot.

I wore more "gowns" last year than a Rehoboth beach drag queen (dressed for yet another prostate procedure)
One of my THREE visits to the Beebe Emergency room this time last year for kidney stones - this one I thought I was permanently checking out - resulted in a two night hospital stay - I survived but oh what memories! Drink more water Ron!

And friends, oh do I have good friends.  My blogger friend, my longtime friends from school and my new friends (you know who you are).  

By the way, the "IMG" number on this picture is "0063".  Know what that adds up too?  NINE! See what I told you?

So friends, let me be the first to tell you in case no one else has already done so, you too can make the world stop.  Just have a dream and go for it!  I did and I made it!  

Some great blogger friends from the 2014 Bloggerpalooza at the hotel

13 comments:

  1. I am happy for you Ron! So many people are trying to find their bliss by earning more and more, forgetting that the little things in life, gratefulness, good friends, family,pets, health… are all we need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      I am so blessed and I know it. That knowledge is perhaps the best thing in my life. One doesn't need a lot of fame or fortune to be happy, just good health, and good friends and, hopefully a supportive family. I have so much to be grateful for and I am.
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Congrats Ron - as you say - you did it. I think we've all got the ability to make ourselves happy. And much of that, I humbly think, is an awareness of and ability to appreciate what's around us.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat,
      You are so right. All to often some people are blind to the happiness and fulfillment of life that is right at their fingertips. They're always searching for the unobtainable which all to often seems out of their reach. I an thankful that I can see the richness all around me and not be distracted by the minor distractions which we all encounter from time to time.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Ron, your post today of positivity, gratitude and optimism has come at just the right time for me and has helped me more than you'll ever know. Without gushing too much (gushing is unbecoming - ha!) ... a simple thanks for sharing your wisdom.

    The Canuck

    P.S. If you still have the time and inclination, do fill us in about your impending trip to Canada. Can't wait to hear your plans and your impressions, afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Canuck,
      Your fellow Canadian will be my gracious host in Tornonto, Ontario. He lives in Tiny Town. Where do you live? I will be posting more about my trip to Canada next month. I plan to leave Delaware the third week of August and return to Delaware at the end of August. I will be traveling to Buffalo, New York where Pat will be picking me up and we'll enter Canada via Niagara Falls. Then we play it by ear. Any suggestions are most welcome!
      Ron

      Delete
    2. Anonymous7:08 PM

      I'm allllllll the way on the other side of the country, in one of the prairie provinces so unfortunately I can't give you too many suggestions about Ontario; however, I'm sure that your host will have no shortage of ideas given that he knows your personality so well. Also, given that Toronto is so large I'm sure anything you want to do, you can! You've already mentioned he's taking you to Tim Horton's so there's that taken care of .... now, we don't want to overhype the Timmie's experience too much to give you unrealistic expectations, after all it's just a coffee / donut shop, but hey, if you name a donut shop after a hockey player how much more Canadian can you get! Having said that, though, out west our Timmie's staff are all imported from The Phillipines so it's not like they're going to say "Come again, eh!"

      Also, try the poutine (an artery clogging dish of french fries topped with cheese curds and gravy).

      I've heard that Toronto is THE most ethnically diverse city in the world so you will have plenty of fun people-watching if that's the sort of thing you like to do.

      You've shown your flower gardens on your blog - if that's something you enjoy doing I did a quick Internet search and here's a link regarding floral shows http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=df31dada600f0410VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

      Actually that appears to be a website of tourist activities ... http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=3a7132d0b6d1e310VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD

      Being so close to Lake Ontario perhaps there's a boat cruise or two that may be of interest. The CN Tower may be of interest but may be too 'touristy' as well.

      Plenty of time for research! I'm afraid you will run out of time (or energy) before you do and sell all the things you want to. I've found it's always best to experience a city with a local who can avoid all the typical overexposed tourist traps so you're in good hands with Pat.

      P.S. Don't be too offended if the Canadians don't understand your American accent. ;) At least they will apologize for not understanding what you've said.

      ~ The Canuck

      Delete
    3. Canuck,
      Thanks for the comment and advice. All appreciated! Pat has already told me how ethnically diverse Toronto is. Pat is half Irish and half French. He calls himself "a mutt." And about my accent. Apparently it is quite heavy because Pat at times has trouble understanding me. Funny that, I didn't think I had an accent at all but he assures me I do.
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Hi Ron, OMG I was so busy with my week off here I totally spaced off your one year anniversary of being married and 50 years with being with Bill. Oh I don't know I think you were a cute baby, the 2nd pic I can see a real hottie too. The group photo from Bloggerpalooza 2014 beings back fond memories. It's just that guy in the middle of the front row wearing the Hawaiian shirt, I'd watch out for him, he looks like a real shady character. LOL. Just wanted to leave a quick note to let you know I'm still around and kicking. Randy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Randy,
      I was wondering "What happened to Randy?" I used to hear so much from you but lately, not so much. I think of you often Randy and hope that you are doing well. That guy in the middle of the front row wearing the Hawaiian shirt? The life of the party! Glad you could make it Randy.
      Ron

      Delete
  5. It isn't often that one can write with such contentment and look back at their life with such satisfaction. I'm so happy for you, Ron. You have arrived at a perfect time in your life. It's always best to count our blessings and forget the regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      Yes, I have arrived at a perfect time in my life. Good timing I say. I always had hoped this time of my life would be this way, that's the way I had planned it and guess what? It happened! Oh sure, there are regrets but that's in the past. And there may be more mistakes in the future, I realize that too but I'm concentrating on the positive. And right now it's all good.
      Ron
      Ron

      Delete
  6. what a happy post! You are a fortunate man, indeed!

    ReplyDelete