Friday, July 18, 2014

Mexican Jumping Beans and Baby Ruths



I love this time of year. Nice weather, long days, fresh veggies.

Last night I finished my second day of work at the hotel.  Of course we're quite busy at the hotel with the summertime crowd.  Usually the guests at the hotel are quiet and sedate (we get the older crowd) but sometimes we get the moms with the Mexican Jumping Jack kids.  That was last night. 

A mom with her two boys, who were both about seven or eight years old.  I saw them in the parking lot, both boys jumping up and down like Mexican Jumping Beans (or Mexican "Yumping" Beans) and squealing like little girls, always wanted that attention, attention, attention.  Oh boy, "I would be in for it tonight" I thought.  And I wasn't wrong.

Not to bore you with all the incidences but the one that really sticks with me (no pun intended either figuratively or metaphorically) was when "Mom" came to the front desk and said in her broken English ("Mom" was Asian, the boys mixed race), "De toilet.  De toilet. Overflow!"  Oh great.  

I was on the phone when she shot that missile at me, not totally unexpected by the way.  I cradled the phone on my shoulder and said "I'll take care of it."  She said again "Toilet, toilet. Overflow."  Again I said, with probably a world weary expression on my face, "I.Will.Take.Care.Of.It." 

She left, I'm sure not quite understanding what I said but she.did.leave.  



After I got off the phone I ambled over to the bathroom and saw the damage.  Yup.  The water in the toilet was up to the very rim and I mean VERY RIM.  Must have been a whole role of toilet paper in that water plus……are you eating?  If so, come back to this missive later.  PLUS…….one big "Baby Ruth" on top of the toilet paper.  

Thank you Mom.

How that "much" could come out of one little boy stretches my imagination but there it was, deadly.

OKAY.

Thank goodness I knew where the plunger was.  Folks, this is probably the ONE THING I hate about working in hotels……PLUNGE TIME.

Oh the stories I could tell.  Yes, I have experience with this emergency.  And you know, these toilet paper, water to the rim (and sometimes over and on the floor) emergencies have almost always involved children, specifically young boys.  What is THAT all about anyway?

Returning to the bathroom with my plunger I ever so delicately sink the plunger into the fouled, toilet paper infused water and…….pray.  

YES!  I did it.  I got the toilet to flush without any overflow to the floor below.  Thank you to the Power above.  My luck runneth over.  

Of course the bathroom now had that dank, baby poop smell (that was a big specimen after all, he must have felt great after he expelled that torpedo).  I HAD to get rid of that smell because all it was doing was reminding me of the near disaster I averted thanks to my quick thinking and experience with previous mishaps of this ilk. 

I do bring my own neutralizer spray with me which I aimed a few squirts in the direction of my most recent adventure.  

Life in the fast lane folks or shall I say "life at a small boutique hotel in the first town in the first state".  One just never knows when one is called to perform and avert a nasty situation. The hotel got its money's worth from me last night folks.  I think I'll ask for a raise.  

13 comments:

  1. Funny and interesting posts on your blog. Stumbled across it while searching for some Delaware-related items. Liked the head-shaving one, having a brother who shaves his. Luckily for him, he has one of those good-looking bald heads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeffrey,
      Thanks for your compliment about my blog! My friend wants me to shave my head. Unfortunately I don't have a nicely shaped head like he has. No shaved heads for me.

      Have a great day!
      Ron

      Delete
  2. Ron, we stayed at a beach hotel in San Francisco this past weekend and the commode level rose ominously. I shut off the supply valve and got a plunger from downstairs. You think hotel plumbing could be connected coast to coast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Geo.,
      One of the scariest experiences is when you flush the toilet and the water level "rises ominously." Been there, done that. Quick thinking on your part to cut off the supply valve.
      Ron

      Delete
  3. one of my all-time fave movies. but you DON'T watch this scene whilst eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne Marie,
      "Caddy Shack", they just don't make them like that any more do they?
      Ron

      Delete
  4. Ron, if I had my way there would be two different sections in which to reside in this word - - the KID SECTION and the NON-KID SECTION. I don't have to tell you where I'd be living. In my humble opinion the little bastards should be muzzled and on leashes - - and their parents should be spayed and neutered.

    I commend you for your valient and victorious battle with the Big Turd. You not only deserve a raise, you deserve of medal of honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jon,
      I think a well behaved kid is cute and adorable but a little terror? And again I always blame the parents. They have abdicated their duty to properly raise their little darlings because they are either too lazy or stupid. I don't blame the kids, they're just being kids. I never remember once me or my brothers acting up like that in public when we were out with my Mother. We wouldn't dare. And she didn't have to beat or scream at us either, just say "No!" Unfortunately some parents don't know how to be parents.

      As I said before Jon, the worst job in the hotel business is when the front desk is called upon to handle the Big Turd be it metaphorically guest or literally a big turd.


      Ron

      Delete
  5. I've never seen "CADDY SHACK". Maybe the time has come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nadege,
      "Caddy Shack" is a VERY funny movie. The time has come for you to see it.
      Ron

      Delete
  6. This is enough to make even a coprophile retch. (If anyone reading this is puzzled by the word, too bad. Do NOT look it up, especially if you're tempted to examine related words in its vicinity).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes! Such is hotel work? You could write a book I reckon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr. Spo,
      Oh could I ever write a book. I'm waiting until I retire completely from the hotel business before I spill the beans. What with my four year experience working at the Hampton Inn in Lionville, PA, and seven years (now, how fast time goes by) working at the Inn at Canal Square. Even the month I worked at the Residence Inn by Marriott and the three months I work for the Pittsburgh Hilton in my callow youth……so many stories to tell. And I will tell them and maybe even name names, some famous.
      Ron

      Delete